Basic Monitor Requirements For New Build?

007vsMagua

Hello All,

This is my first post here at linustechtips. I love Linus and subscribe to him on YouTube. I'm planning on building a new rig this summer and will probably be going with a single GTX 1070, a GTX 1080, or maybe even a GTX 1080 Ti.

I already know I want to get a 34" Ultrawide 1440p IPS curved panel, but because there are so many variations and older models out there I'm getting confused about the future of this market. I'm aware that a GTX 1070 is probably not the best card for playing with this monitor specification, but it does seem doable.

I like playing PC games, but I'm not playing competitive fps, multiplayer types of games which require split second response times. The types of games I like playing are single player including Mass Effect, Far Cry, Fallout, Skyrim, BioShock, Deus Ex, Dishonored, Doom, etc., etc..

How important is refresh rate and response time when playing these types of games?

Do I really need G-Sync to enjoy these games?

Recommendations for a monitor that should work are welcomed.

_D as in Denny

If you get an ultrawide, then that's 3440x1440p, which is 5mega pixels. normal 1440p is 3.7. That would be 1070 territory. Ultrawide is at least 1080 or even better - 1080ti. 34 inch 1440p UW is too big imo. Pixel density wise.. I think you have to try G-Sync before buying to see if it makes a difference to you. Because it will dig deeper in your pocket if you get it. So I recommend trying it if you have the option. Response wise, anything below 6ms is okay. (I have 6ms and I play just fine. Would be nice to have higher refesh rate tho) If you get 120hz, consider getting a gpu that can push that kind of framerate at 5mp. Because then the only option really is 1080ti.. Or and a CPU to support it. 6800k or sth like that..

I'm not a competitive gamer either so I prefer to play games at ultra settings (better visuals) at 60 fps rather than trying to get 144 with medium settings.

V-sync does the job. You don't need G-sync. 

I have 3 x BenQ BL3200PT 32" 2560x1440. Resolution total 7680x1440 @ 60 fps

Untitled.png

13 minutes ago, Dabasepc said:

7680x1440 @ 60 fps

What are you driving it with?

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious