VESA's Adaptive Sync on GTX 10xx with DP 1.4?

Hi all,

I just ordered a 144hz monitor with "Freesync" (VESA's Adaptive Sync) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BV1XBEI/ . So I've got a GTX 908 Ti, and don't expect VESA's Adaptive Sync to work over the 980ti's DP1.2 port. Does anyone have a GTX 10xx card, with DP 1.4? 

VESA is not being explicit in the public docs I've read, as to whether or not DP 1.4 compliance requires support of Adaptive Sync. It looks like it is in "DisplayPort Alt Mode" (see https://www.vesa.org/featured-articles/vesa-launches-full-compliance-test-spec-for-usb-type-c-devices-using-displayport-alt-mode/ ). Any hands-on/inside info would be great! Thanks Guys and Girls!

Adaptive Sync is a standard, not a physical thing on its own. FreeSync is an Adaptive Sync implementation which is exclusive to AMD video cards.

Freesync is used for AMD  GPUs, while Gsync is needed for Nvidia GPUs, so you wont be able to use it all with gtx 10xx cards. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Freesync does not work on any NVIDIA hardware because NVIDIA doesn't want to implement it (for some dumb reason).

Yeah I can't imagine why.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Freesync does not work on any NVIDIA hardware because NVIDIA doesn't want to implement it (for some dumb reason).

Its a proprietary AMD technology, im sure they arent even allowed to implement it, and they get money for monitors sold with gsync, so why would they want to enable users to use the cheaper technology?

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

1 minute ago, bgibbz said:

Its a proprietary AMD technology, im sure they arent even allowed to implement it, and they get money for monitors sold with gsync, so why would they want to enable users to use the cheaper technology?

Freesync is not proprietary though. AMD submitted it to be part of the VESA standard. Nvidia just refuses to implement it because they enjoy making money off of G-Sync.

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

6 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

6 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

FreeSync is a royalty free standard that AMD developed and submitted to the VESA group to be added to the DisplayPort spec.

If it wasn't free (as in beer, or maybe freedom), it would be a gross misnomer to call it FreeSync.

EDIT: I mean, this is from AMD's website itself (emphasis mine):

Putting the Free in FreeSync™

Once again AMD makes gaming history – with the world’s first virtually “zero-cost” technology to enable perfectly smooth gameplay with no costly proprietary hardware, royalties, or licensing costs. That means monitors with AMD FreeSync™ technology deliver perfectly smooth gaming for up to $300 less than comparable displays with competing technologies.2 So even on a budget, you have more cash for what really matters: FPS!  

4 minutes ago, Masada02 said:

Freesync is not proprietary though.

Yes it is*.

They say it's an open standard even though there are three graphics vendors (if you count Intel). Nobody besides AMD is using it or will use it, even though Intel has said previously that they would implement it, but I doubt it at this point since it's been two years since they've said anything about it.

AMD submitted it to be part of the VESA standard.

Where did you see this?

Nvidia just refuses to implement it because they enjoy making money off of G-Sync.

I too like making money off of my own work.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

FreeSync is a royalty free standard that AMD developed and submitted to the VESA group to be added to the DisplayPort spec.

If it wasn't free (as in beer, or maybe freedom), it would be a gross misnomer to call it FreeSync.

EDIT: I mean, this is from AMD's website itself (emphasis mine):

Thanks for shilling a copypasta. I know what FreeSync is, but apparently you don't know what Adaptive Sync is and how it's different from G-Sync.

Just one of the quote that got my attention and why I'm asking for hands on info. " Other key benefits of DisplayPort Alt Mode include:... Support for Adaptive Sync..."

Freesync is a rebrand of adaptive sync, it's on the page of vesa so that's about as legit as it gets :P

https://www.vesa.org/faqs/#DisplayPort 1.4 FAQs

So if nvidia puts adaptive sync support in their cards, it will work with freesync because it's the same...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 minute ago, MaverickNoob said:

Just one of the quote that got my attention and why I'm asking for hands on info. " Other key benefits of DisplayPort Alt Mode include:... Support for Adaptive Sync..."

Like I said, Adaptive Sync is a standard, not an implementation of the technology itself.

Just now, MaverickNoob said:

"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeSync#Adaptive-SyncFreeSync is a hardware/software solution that utilizes DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync protocols, therefore all Nvidia has to do is support the protocol.

Like I said, (implied really) Nvidia will not do it because they have G-Sync.

Just now, samcool55 said:

Freesync is a rebrand of adaptive sync, it's on the page of vesa so that's about as legit as it gets :P

https://www.vesa.org/faqs/#DisplayPort 1.4 FAQs

It's not a rebrand of Adaptive Sync. FreeSync is an implementation of the tech. Read the whole thing.

Yes. AdaptiveSync was first supported by DisplayPort 1.2a, and it is already supported in some available products. This is also branded as “Free-Sync” from AMD, which is based on VESA’s AdaptiveSync Standard.

Just now, samcool55 said:

So if nvidia puts adaptive sync support in their cards, it will work with freesync because it's the same...

This is a tired debate and the answer has been given so many times, but they have G-Sync. Unless they figure out a way to implement Adaptive Sync up to their standards, then they will continue tacking on a G-Sync module in certain monitors.

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

Like I said, Adaptive Sync is a standard, not an implementation of the technology itself.

Like I said, (implied really) Nvidia will not do it because they have G-Sync.

Have you tested it? B/c I'm looking to decide whether or not a 10xx series card would be interesting for a upgrade.

Have you tested it? B/c I'm looking to decide whether or not a 10xx series card would be interesting for a upgrade.

Tested what? To see if FreeSync works with an Nvidia video card? It won't.

Just now, Kloaked said:

Tested what? To see if FreeSync works with an Nvidia video card? It won't.

That is not a scientific response, that's a religious response.

?

FreeSync is an AMD technology. Nvidia does not support it. It doesn't get any more simple than that. If you would like to see for yourself and potentially lose money, be our guest :)

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

It's not a rebrand of Adaptive Sync. FreeSync is an implementation of the tech. Read the whole thing.

This is a tired debate and the answer has been given so many times, but they have G-Sync. Unless they figure out a way to implement Adaptive Sync up to their standards, then they will continue tacking on a G-Sync module in certain monitors.

Well nvidia perfectly knows how to implement freesync in their stuff... mobile G-sync doesn't use the chip thingy normal g-sync monitor uses so unless they use some magic nobody knows about, it's just adaptive sync...

Also it's required to use eDP, i wonder why....

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9303/nvidia-launches-mobile-gsync

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

And one more thing:

FreeSync was first demonstrated at CES 2014 on a Toshiba Satellite laptop by making use of the Panel-Self-Refresh (PSR) feature from the Embedded DisplayPort standard,[16] and after a proposal from AMD, VESA later adapted the Panel-Self-Refresh feature for use in standalone displays and added it as an optional feature of the main DisplayPort standard under the name "Adaptive-Sync" in version 1.2a

This would imply AMD submitted what they used for FreeSync and that VESA adopted what AMD used. AMD already trademarked the name FreeSync so VESA had to use something else.

Anyway, given that this is an optional aspect of the DisplayPort spec and NVIDIA already has their own implementation of GPU controlled refresh rates, NVIDIA doesn't have to support it. But they totally could.

EDIT: Ah wait, nevermind, AMD recycled something from DisplayPort.

3 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Well nvidia perfectly knows how to implement freesync in their stuff... mobile G-sync doesn't use the chip thingy normal g-sync monitor uses so unless they use some magic nobody knows about, it's just adaptive sync...

Also it's required to use eDP, i wonder why....

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9303/nvidia-launches-mobile-gsync

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

And one more thing:

This would imply AMD submitted what they used for FreeSync and that VESA adopted what AMD used. AMD already trademarked the name FreeSync so VESA had to use something else.

Anyway, given that this is an optional aspect of the DisplayPort spec and NVIDIA already has their own implementation of GPU controlled refresh rates, NVIDIA doesn't have to support it. But they totally could.

EDIT: Ah wait, nevermind, AMD recycled something from DisplayPort.

bkklBjAmlYjv2.gif

Laptop variable refresh rate has been around for the longest time. It's not new.

AMD did not recycle something from DisplayPort.

why why why why why did I reply to this thread

6 minutes ago, Kloaked said:
MaverickNoob said:

Kloaked said:

?

FreeSync is an AMD technology. Nvidia does not support it. It doesn't get any more simple than that. If you would like to see for yourself and potentially lose money, be our guest :)

It's a religious response because it is a blanket answer that ignores any possibility of a workaround, or possibility of contrary facts. Sorry if I was unclear, in my original post, but I'm looking for hands on/testing info... I don't want to buy a 10xx series just to test this, and was hoping someone would get inspired and try to figure out a workaround or if someone had already tried it they could share there results.

Just now, Kloaked said:

-snip-

Because if you actually took the time to calmly explain something rather than your responses be in the attitude of  "hur dur ur stupid", I probably would've more receptive and accepting to your replies.

Anyway, I figured it out on my own, yay me.

1 minute ago, MaverickNoob said:

It's a religious response because it is a blanket answer that ignores any possibility of a workaround, or possibility of contrary facts. Sorry if I was unclear, in my original post, but I'm looking for hands on/testing info... I don't want to buy a 10xx series just to test this, and was hoping someone would get inspired and try to figure out a workaround or if someone had already tried it they could share there results.

Well, again, the 1.2a spec is optional and so far NVIDIA has not implemented it.