Riser Cable?

SilicateWielder

Hello,

So, having just ordered an Rx 460, I would like to know what I should purchase for a riser cable to go with it, It does require external 6-pin power if that matters any.

I already do have a non-powered one, but I do not trust it enough to use with this card after what it did to my R7 240, even if all the connections look fine on the PCB.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

11 minutes ago, UnbrokenMotion said:

So, having just ordered an Rx 460, I would like to know what I should purchase for a riser cable to go with it, It does require external 6-pin power if that matters any.

Why would you purchase a riser cable? It's not like you need it or something...

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Why would you purchase a riser cable? It's not like you need it or something...

It's for a custom build I'm working on that involves the installation of a full system inside of a briefcase. 

1 minute ago, UnbrokenMotion said:

It's for a custom build I'm working on that involves the installation of a full system inside of a briefcase. 

If you want to spend as much money as you spent on your GPU on a riser cable, by all means, do it. But IMO, it is not worth it....

A good riser cable costs $100

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

If you want to spend as much money as you spent on your GPU on a riser cable, by all means, do it. But IMO, it is not worth it....

A good riser cable costs $100

Yeah, there's no way I'm spending that much on one. All I really want is one that wont kill a graphics card. hence why I'm looking for recommendations

1 minute ago, UnbrokenMotion said:

Yeah, there's no way I'm spending that much on one. All I really want is one that wont kill a graphics card. hence why I'm looking for recommendations

No PCIe Riser will kill your graphics card. But many will cause weird issues...

11 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

No PCIe Riser will kill your graphics card. But many will cause weird issues...

Well, in that case I must've gotten a defective riser.

1 hour ago, UnbrokenMotion said:

Well, in that case I must've gotten a defective riser.

What do you mean....?

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

What do you mean....?

I used it to connect my R7 240, and it worked well for about half an hour before suddenly my PC crashed, I rebooted and the card wouldn't power on, even when connected directly to the motherboard, no video output, nada.

I contacted the manufacturer and they stopped replying to my emails.

9 minutes ago, UnbrokenMotion said:

I used it to connect my R7 240, and it worked well for about half an hour before suddenly my PC crashed, I rebooted and the card wouldn't power on, even when connected directly to the motherboard, no video output, nada.

Yep. The riser was faulty... You can't get a good one, unless you spend $100+.

6 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Yep. The riser was faulty... You can't get a good one, unless you spend $100+.

Is this the same case for 90 degree adapters?

13 hours ago, UnbrokenMotion said:

Is this the same case for 90 degree adapters?

Idk.... But I think that it is not...

11 hours ago, yawacool said:

Hide contents

You can refer to this

http://cryinginthenight68.wixsite.com/liheat

This site has been mentioned
According to PCIE power specification
X16 25W ~ 75W (5.5A)
Your R7-240 has no extra power
Not suitable for PCIE cables

I upgraded to an RX 460 that requires 6-pin power yesterday, my specs list has been inaccurate until just recently.