Buy games on Steam, Steam Key or DVD?

Vishvas Sudarshan

I have this question about purchasing games!

Should I buy games directly from Steam? or a Steam product key from a third party seller, or a DVD on Amazon and then link it with Steam.

What are the pros/cons of each? and I'm not sure how the amazon method actually works, so if someone could explain that I would really appreciate it! :)

3 minutes ago, Vishvas Sudarshan said:

I have this question about purchasing games!

Should I buy games directly from Steam? or a Steam product key from a third party seller, or a DVD on Amazon and then link it with Steam.

What are the pros/cons of each? and I'm not sure how the amazon method actually works, so if someone could explain that I would really appreciate it! :)

Depends on you network download limits and speeds.

If you have network connection speeds and download limits high enough that you dont care about it, then buy everything on steam, and do it when you see sales.

I no longer buy (used) DVD's of semi modern games. When I bought a dvd with all the books/crap and official serial key, I still got screwed. Serial was in use (even tough I owned it/took pictures) and steam would not release the serial. (they could even see that serial wasn't used for gaming in years)

Also, you will most likely need lots of updates anyways, so you would still need internet crap/get an account or something like it.

I'd just say: arrrr matey.

7 minutes ago, Rohime said:

Depends on you network download limits and speeds.

If you have network connection speeds and download limits high enough that you dont care about it, then buy everything on steam, and do it when you see sales.

Yup network isn't a ptoblem. Recently got a fiber connection too! And yea I'll buy during sales. By the way do you know when the next sale is scheduled? 

9 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

I no longer buy (used) DVD's of semi modern games. When I bought a dvd with all the books/crap and official serial key, I still got screwed. Serial was in use (even tough I owned it/took pictures) and steam would not release the serial. (they could even see that serial wasn't used for gaming in years)

Also, you will most likely need lots of updates anyways, so you would still need internet crap/get an account or something like it.

I'd just say: arrrr matey.

Okay I'll keep away from keys and DVDs! 

Thanks guys! 

29 minutes ago, Vishvas Sudarshan said:

Okay I'll keep away from keys and DVDs! 

This is your best bet because most games that are selling "physical" copies are just boxes with the code inside. Even if it actually has a disk it will be a DVD and that is only 4.5gigs at most and most modern titles are running around 50. I bought Dishonored 2 psychical copy and copied the first 4.5 gigs off the disk and then just used steam for the other 45.

7 hours ago, lieder1987 said:

This is your best bet because most games that are selling "physical" copies are just boxes with the code inside. Even if it actually has a disk it will be a DVD and that is only 4.5gigs at most and most modern titles are running around 50. I bought Dishonored 2 psychical copy and copied the first 4.5 gigs off the disk and then just used steam for the other 45.

Yeah ... i've seen "retail copies" of games that were literally just a box with Ads (and code) and CD inside that had nothing but the Steam Client on it.

Assuming you don't have a data cap, downloading from Steam is usually the best option. Buying steam keys through a third party is somewhat risky IMO but I know people who swear by it. The DVD to Steam thing is usually more trouble than it's worth, only do it if you really want a physical box for your collection or something. Half of the time you'll end up having to download the game anyway and if you're buying the game second hand there's a chance the key won't work for you at all.