College Backup Server/NAS help

Lord Bussey

Hey everyone,

I am going to college pretty soon and I heard of a family member creating a storage server that would automatically backup all of the computers that were connected, even if they were in a different state, as long as they were online. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good way to setup a backup server like this, where I can be down state at college and have my backup server at home making a backup of the documents I have on my computer. I would like to do this as cheaply as possible. I do not have a server up and running yet but that is to come soon I just want to get some ideas of the easiest way to have an automatic backup server for school. 

Thanks everyone.

either way use a cloud storage service or if you want to keep it private i would suggest as NAS like from Synology.

Keep in mind the NAS only offers the storage space /platform to store files on, the files are still coming from your own computer and there will need to be some kind of scheduled backup on that machine

Look into Crashplan. They offer a free app can do remote backups. It's only paid once you start using their online storage. Crashplan has a feature where you can backup to a remote computer as long as it has Crashplan on it as well.