Asus Maximus VII Gene + Crucial MX300 525GB M.2 compatibilities

Smir

Is there any reason why the Asus MAXIMUS VII Gene Motherboard Z97 and the Crucial MX300 525GB M.2 won't work together?

It has the required socket and size, anyone have any idea?

Who/where told you it wont work together? Cause it should.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Im using it now... -.- having so much trouble.. updated bios, changed option to M2 Mode in the bios, still no luck..

2 minutes ago, Smir said:

Im using it now... -.- having so much trouble.. updated bios, changed option to M2 Mode in the bios, still no luck..

whats the trouble you're having with it?

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

whats the trouble you're having with it?

Isn't showing in in BIOs, Windows Installation, or even Disk Management. 

3 minutes ago, Smir said:

Isn't showing in in BIOs, Windows Installation, or even Disk Management. 

BIOS set to legacy or UEFI boot mode?

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

5 minutes ago, Falconevo said:

BIOS set to legacy or UEFI boot mode?

They seem to been both or legacy, unless there's other options? 

IMG_3920.JPG

Set to UEFI only and save to re-test, have you been able to test the M2 card in another unit to verify it actually works?

I know there are some PCIe limitations with the z79 series boards, how many PCIe devices are you currently using in the PC?  E.g 2x GPUs, Network card etc etc.

1 minute ago, Falconevo said:

Set to UEFI only and save to re-test, have you been able to test the M2 card in another unit to verify it actually works?

I know there are some PCIe limitations with the z79 series boards, how many PCIe devices are you currently using in the PC?  E.g 2x GPUs, Network card etc etc.

I have the z97 GENE ;) and only one PCIe a GTX 770 nothing else is plugged into any other PCIe slot.

I will give the UEFI only  a try quickly, and the m.2 is brand new, don't have any other system to test it unfortunately  

1 minute ago, Abyssal Radon said:

I had a hell of a time getting my Samsung 960 EVO M.2 to become a boot-able device. Update your mother boards BIO's. This might fix it, if your motherboard isn't reading that it exists, you might have a bad M.2 slot in your board.

did update after it wasn't working originally, but the m.2 slot has never been used would be typical but surely a long shot?

Ill double check the bios updated too

difinately the latest bios, and the UEFI only mode didn't help :/

2 minutes ago, Smir said:

did update after it wasn't working originally, but the m.2 slot has never been used would be typical but surely a long shot?

Ill double check the bios updated too

Can you get a screenshot of your advanced Chipset configuration within the BIOS (Advanced Mode)

Navigate the following menu's

• Advanced
  • Onboard Devices Configuration
  • PCI Express x4_3 slot config

What do you have set here?  This value can determine if the M2 slot is disabled or not.

2 minutes ago, Falconevo said:

Can you get a screenshot of your advanced Chipset configuration within the BIOS (Advanced Mode)

Navigate the following menu's

• Advanced
  • Onboard Devices Configuration
  • PCI Express x4_3 slot config

What do you have set here?  This value can determine if the M2 slot is disabled or not.

that is set on M2 Mode, I tried a few of them as found bits online suggesting other options, but none did work

These are the value's that are in place (according to the manual).  You definitely don't have any device plugged in to the x4 slot on the PCIe connector?

Ideally if you don't have any other device then it should be in M.2 mode.  If you have just updated the BIOS, do a full CMOS clear and restart the system to take advantage of new features added.

PCI Express X4 Slot (Black) Bandwidth
[Auto Mode]
By default, PCIeX4_1 slot runs at X2 mode, M.2 slot runs at X1 mode,
   mPCIe slot runs at X1 mode.  When PCIeX4 slot detects X4 device, bandwidth will be switched to
PCIeX4 slot for better performance, M.2 and mPCIe slot will be disabled.

[mPCIe X1 Mode]
PCIEX4_1 slot runs at x2 mode. M.2 slot and mPCIe slot
both runs at X1 mode.

[M.2 Mode]
PCIEX4_1 and M.2 slot both runs at X2 mode. mPCIe is disabled.

[PCIe X4 Mode]
PCIEX4_1 slot runs at X4 mode. M.2 and mPCIe slot are both disabled

14 minutes ago, Falconevo said:

These are the value's that are in place (according to the manual).  You definitely don't have any device plugged in to the x4 slot on the PCIe connector?

Ideally if you don't have any other device then it should be in M.2 mode.  If you have just updated the BIOS, do a full CMOS clear and restart the system to take advantage of new features added.

PCI Express X4 Slot (Black) Bandwidth
[Auto Mode]
By default, PCIeX4_1 slot runs at X2 mode, M.2 slot runs at X1 mode,
   mPCIe slot runs at X1 mode.  When PCIeX4 slot detects X4 device, bandwidth will be switched to
PCIeX4 slot for better performance, M.2 and mPCIe slot will be disabled.

[mPCIe X1 Mode]
PCIEX4_1 slot runs at x2 mode. M.2 slot and mPCIe slot
both runs at X1 mode.

[M.2 Mode]
PCIEX4_1 and M.2 slot both runs at X2 mode. mPCIe is disabled.

[PCIe X4 Mode]
PCIEX4_1 slot runs at X4 mode. M.2 and mPCIe slot are both disabled

Yeah I tried it on auto and on m2 and on the X1 option :/

IMG_3922.JPG

1 minute ago, Abyssal Radon said:

This is very strange man, you know what, give ASUS tech support a call lol.

I did tells me to email them... trying to find Motherboard box for serial number very annoying :/ wanted to get it done and dusted today

18 minutes ago, Abyssal Radon said:

Yeah have fun with ASUS support, back in the P55 chipset days, I had one of of their boards and the motherboards sound card crapped, what a fucking nightmare with ASUS tech support and with the RMA service. That's why I bought my X99 EVGA board.

so annoying >.< would see myself as good with tech, then something like this happens...  so annoying, never in my life have had any pc issues.. lol

Are you certain the unit isn't faulty.  It may not be the motherboard (it could be either) but try replacing the M2 unit or getting the place you purchased to test it in a known working M2 slot.

I have had a number of dead SSD's from the factory, but the amount we purchase and go through is substantial compared with more places.

According to the motherboard manual, even though it is M key, the M.2 port supports PCIe drives only. 

Your SSD, Crucial MX300, is a SATA type M.2 drive. So no, it won't work. 

36 minutes ago, beavo451 said:

According to the motherboard manual, even though it is M key, the M.2 port supports PCIe drives only. 

Your SSD, Crucial MX300, is a SATA type M.2 drive. So no, it won't work. 

Asked people from Novatech and they said it would, also ASUS forums, guy asks me to upgrade the drivers of the device >.< (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?91143-Gene-Crucial-MX300-525GB-M-2&p=633975#post633975)

if the pcie one will work, ill get it.. But I just bought a Samsung 500GB 850 EVO M.2 which is sata and isn't working... so guess I'll buy a pcie m.2  which are the NVME ones and cost x2 much >.< 

over £400 just to get a another drive -.-

19 minutes ago, Smir said:

Asked people from Novatech and they said it would, also ASUS forums, guy asks me to upgrade the drivers of the device >.< (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?91143-Gene-Crucial-MX300-525GB-M-2&p=633975#post633975)

if the pcie one will work, ill get it.. But I just bought a Samsung 500GB 850 EVO M.2 which is sata and isn't working... so guess I'll buy a pcie m.2  which are the NVME ones and cost x2 much >.< 

over £400 just to get a another drive -.-

Don't know what to tell you. It's right there in the manual to see for yourself. 

5 minutes ago, beavo451 said:

Don't know what to tell you. It's right there in the manual to see for yourself. 

Just asked novatec is the Samsung PM961 Polaris 512GB M.2 PCIe 3.0 (x4) NVMe High Performance SSD  would work and they said no... but in my bios.. it has NVME section...

14 minutes ago, Smir said:

Just asked novatec is the Samsung PM961 Polaris 512GB M.2 PCIe 3.0 (x4) NVMe High Performance SSD  would work and they said no... but in my bios.. it has NVME section...

I would believe manufacturer provided documentation over a sales person (assuming novatec is a retailer?)

1 minute ago, beavo451 said:

I would believe manufacturer provided documentation over a sales person (assuming novatec is a retailer?)

yes they are, but they also don't state they work with nvme, even though its been added to the bios ;) just hope this works or will be £300 down the drain lol