The Division, DPS or level of weapons?

RRGT19

Hi,

I'm new playing The Division and it's a little confusing.

Should I prioritize DPS or the level of weapons?

Look at this screenshot that I took:

TheDivision_2017_02_20_19_39_16_665.png

The sniper that I'm using right now is lvl 15 and it has 3984 of damage but, the sniper on the left is level 18 and it just has 2575 of damage, why?.
I don't understand.

How can I know if a weapon is better than another one?. A lot of low level weapons have more damage than weapons with more level.

Help me with this...

When you're just starting out pritorize dps

Once you hit max, start grinding for better gear and specs.

F302CC9CFFAD1EF02B74D1276885CC5A8BA65354

That was my DPS build, but the higher you get the more you should do skill power and health along with dps

prioritize DPS, as far as I know level doesn't factor in overall DPS

gear level only counts after lvl30 when you go into world tiers - world tiers have gear level requirements that you need to meet

also, there are two types of marksman rifles:

• high dmg/shot - low overall DPS, small magazines 
  • low dmg/shot - high DPS, large magazines

I prefer high DMG / bullet since it can take down red mobs with a single headshot

8 minutes ago, Aytex said:

When you're just starting out pritorize dps

Once you hit max, start grinding for better gear and specs.

F302CC9CFFAD1EF02B74D1276885CC5A8BA65354

That was my DPS build, but the higher you get the more you should do skill power and health along with dps

so, wait me a sec....
I pick up weapons that I find in the city.
If a weapon has more DPS than the weapong I'm carrying, I switch them....
Everything is about DPS, no matter the level and no matter if one has more or less damage than the other, if it has more DPS, use it.
that is what you are trying to say?.

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

prioritize DPS, as far as I know level doesn't factor in overall DPS

gear level only counts after lvl30 when you go into world tiers - world tiers have gear level requirements that you need to meet

so, to get that very clear.
See my answer to "Aytex" above...

What does DPS means exactly?.

19 minutes ago, RGomez9119 said:

it's a complicated formula that takes into account:

• dmg / bullet
  • RPM (rounds / minute)
  • magazine size
  • reload time

PvP play relies on burst damage; while for PvE is better to have sustained damage since enemies (purple, yellow, gold) are bullet sponges

but don't worry, your world will be turned upside down when patch 1.6 hits - soonTM

4 minutes ago, RGomez9119 said:

so, wait me a sec....
I pick up weapons that I find in the city.
If a weapon has more DPS than the weapong I'm carrying, I switch them....
Everything is about DPS, no matter the level and no matter if one has more or less damage than the other, if it has more DPS, use it.
that is what you are trying to say?.

Dps is damage per second, it dosen't really scale well with the enemies tbh its not a accurate representation

But yea, if you find a gun that does + Green then switch it

It only matters once you hit 30 cause raids are hard as fuck

3 minutes ago, Aytex said:

It only matters once you hit 30 cause raids are hard as fuck

only the 1st few times until you understand the mechanics, then it's quite boring tbh

15 minutes ago, zMeul said:

only the 1st few times until you understand the mechanics, then it's quite boring tbh

thats why I only have 60 hours on the shit game lmao

Somone bought it for me .-. 

2 minutes ago, Aytex said:

hats why I only have 60 hours

332hours

bought the game last Dec with the discounts

27 minutes ago, RGomez9119 said:

so, to get that very clear.
See my answer to "Aytex" above...

For the most part you want to take the weapon with higher dps, only exception I do with this is with sniper rifles, I take the one that does the highest dmg per shot (typically a bolt action one) That way you'll do more dmg per headshot, you'll 1 shot weaker enemies and do serious dmg to armored targets.  With all that said you need to find the weapons that work for you, some weapons just handle like garbage and it doesn't matter how much dmg they do if you can't hit your target. 

While I was lvling I had a hard time finding a good weapon at one point and then this blue m60 dropped that was major dps increase, I slapped it on and it was alright but then I unlocked the skill tactical Link that makes you do more dmg and shoot faster, and it made the m60 a monster, It just melted the enemies I was facing at that time.  Eventually you'll get max lvl and find good assault rifles and what not.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

It depends. More DPS is good, but i trade some DPS here and there if a Weapon has better Skills.

I could use another Weapon with 20k more DPS but would lose 2 awesome Skills on my main Weapon which would result in the end in less DPS.

Just try Weapons on the shooting range, if you are not sure what to use.

Tom Clancy's The Division™2017-2-21-13-52-30.jpg

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

It all depends on the patch - for levelling don't worry, just take what weapon does the highest damage, as of right now, Assault Rifles are best and I run with a sniper as my secondary wep, which is good fore levelling also.

When you go end game (for now) you want 4 x Alphabridge pieces of armour and try as you may for Laraes Barrets Chestpiece (think I'm on run 80) - When you get to exotic level gear at 30 your weps will have 3 additional skills - The 4x Alphabridge allow the 3 skills from each wep to count to each weapon, meaning you have all 6 on primary and secondary - You wanna go for Brutal, Fierce and Deadly on your weapons, which is nail to roll on one weapon, but much more forgiving using 4x Alphabridge (but you need same weapon cat)

This will all probably change with the inc 1.6 patch which I believe is gonna make skill power MUCH more valuable

SC3Zj7j.jpg

QRoBPRQ.jpg

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

35 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

It all depends on the patch - for levelling don't worry, just take what weapon does the highest damage, as of right now, Assault Rifles are best and I run with a sniper as my secondary wep, which is good fore levelling also.

When you go end game (for now) you want 4 x Alphabridge pieces of armour and try as you may for Laraes Barrets Chestpiece (think I'm on run 80) - When you get to exotic level gear at 30 your weps will have 3 additional skills - The 4x Alphabridge allow the 3 skills from each wep to count to each weapon, meaning you have all 6 on primary and secondary - You wanna go for Brutal, Fierce and Deadly on your weapons, which is nail to roll on one weapon, but much more forgiving using 4x Alphabridge (but you need same weapon cat)

This will all probably change with the inc 1.6 patch which I believe is gonna make skill power MUCH more valuable

SC3Zj7j.jpg

QRoBPRQ.jpg

what is best, assault rifle or Light machine gun?.

Sometimes I find good assault rifle and sometimes I find a better light machine gun, I'm switching weapons all the time, should I do that?.

A mean, at lvl, for example, 15, I have an assault rifle but, then at lvl 18 I find a better light machine gun with more damage.... and the cycle repeats..

9 minutes ago, RGomez9119 said:

Sometimes I find good assault rifle and sometimes I find a better light machine gun, I'm switching weapons all the time, should I do that?.

A mean, at lvl, for example, 15, I have an assault rifle but, then at lvl 18 I find a better light machine gun with more damage.... and the cycle repeats..

for levelling just take what ever is good dps as said - The stuff I said is more for endgame - it doesn't take long to gear, infact with the world brackets you can probably get to 256 in an evening (with coffee)

But, ye go 4x alphabridge (I use 2x strike also) and best bet is Famas (assault rifle) and LVOA ( Assault rifle) and don't use any accuracy/stability mods, if you lucky on your LVOA rolls you end up with 15% crit, + headshot damage, +15% damage, +15 accuracy, chance to refill mag on kill and +10% damage to elite mobs

here you can see the talent stack, ones from 2nd wep are green:

fkdCB7G.jpg

ErPZ6Vw.jpg

ozI6ODZ.jpg

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

11 hours ago, RGomez9119 said:

Dont worry about it and dont fall in love with a weapon, you will not use it for long. ?

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

20 hours ago, Praesi said:

Dont worry about it and dont fall in love with a weapon, you will not use it for long. ?

On 2/21/2017 at 3:46 PM, stealth80 said:

for levelling just take what ever is good dps as said - The stuff I said is more for endgame - it doesn't take long to gear, infact with the world brackets you can probably get to 256 in an evening (with coffee)

But, ye go 4x alphabridge (I use 2x strike also) and best bet is Famas (assault rifle) and LVOA ( Assault rifle) and don't use any accuracy/stability mods, if you lucky on your LVOA rolls you end up with 15% crit, + headshot damage, +15% damage, +15 accuracy, chance to refill mag on kill and +10% damage to elite mobs

here you can see the talent stack, ones from 2nd wep are green:

fkdCB7G.jpg

ErPZ6Vw.jpg

ozI6ODZ.jpg

On 2/20/2017 at 8:32 PM, Ryoku said:

For the most part you want to take the weapon with higher dps, only exception I do with this is with sniper rifles, I take the one that does the highest dmg per shot (typically a bolt action one) That way you'll do more dmg per headshot, you'll 1 shot weaker enemies and do serious dmg to armored targets.  With all that said you need to find the weapons that work for you, some weapons just handle like garbage and it doesn't matter how much dmg they do if you can't hit your target. 

While I was lvling I had a hard time finding a good weapon at one point and then this blue m60 dropped that was major dps increase, I slapped it on and it was alright but then I unlocked the skill tactical Link that makes you do more dmg and shoot faster, and it made the m60 a monster, It just melted the enemies I was facing at that time.  Eventually you'll get max lvl and find good assault rifles and what not.

one question about sniper

I have two right now:

1. lvl 21 - MK17 - 5506 damage - 275 DPM

2. lvl 22 - M44 - 12.1K damage - 55 DPM

The second one has more damage per bullet but, it doesn't appear as it will give me more DPS, why?, if it is more powerful and can kill a guy quicker. It shows as it will decrease my DPS.

How this works?, about sniper, what I need to see?.

TheDivision_2017_02_22_23_14_22_027.png

1 hour ago, RGomez9119 said:

one question about sniper

I have two right now:

1. lvl 21 - MK17 - 5506 damage - 275 DPM

2. lvl 22 - M44 - 12.1K damage - 55 DPM

The second one has more damage per bullet but, it doesn't appear as it will give me more DPS, why?, if it is more powerful and can kill a guy quicker. It shows as it will decrease my DPS.

How this works?, about sniper, what I need to see?.

TheDivision_2017_02_22_23_14_22_027.png

The bolt action sniper rifles shoot slower so they have less DPS (Damage Per Second), So the over the course of a long fight the faster firing weapon could do more dmg.  But with crits and the higher dmg per hit the bolt action sniper can still be pretty viable assuming your not missing and hitting consistent headshots.  Me personally I'd take the m44 over the M1A cuz I'm confident that I could do more dmg getting headshots with it.  Especially since you can cheese the game a little bit with the 3rd person system and stay behind a wall and still shoot around it.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump