Best CPU for Web Server & VM's

bostitch

I'm looking to build a server that I'll use to host websites (not high amounts of processing or load).  I want to also run 4 to 5 VM's in parallel on the same machine for various development projects.  Do you have any recommendations for good CPU/Motherboard/Ram combinations?

I was looking at either a Core i7-6700K or i7-7700K processor to start.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Brad

If you want VM's, then the best option may be an FX-83xx. In this case, more cores is better, and you'll probably get a whole build for just the cost of the i7 alone.

Waiting a few weeks for the Ryzen launch may a better option though. Price drops on older hardware are likely, and there may be a lot of used parts up for sale as people upgrade.

I run a game server on an A4-3300 with no problems, and run multiple VM's on my FX desktop. No need to drop all that money on an i7 for a web server and a VM host.

26 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

If you want VM's, then the best option may be an FX-83xx. In this case, more cores is better, and you'll probably get a whole build for just the cost of the i7 alone.

Waiting a few weeks for the Ryzen launch may a better option though. Price drops on older hardware are likely, and there may be a lot of used parts up for sale as people upgrade.

I run a game server on an A4-3300 with no problems, and run multiple VM's on my FX desktop. No need to drop all that money on an i7 for a web server and a VM host.

Hey Just curious to know, isnt the per core performane of FX-83XX processors in no comparison with i7 cpu's esepecially 7700 and 6700k, i.e. dont hold even a competition against them. (the question is asked in the most polite manner and is just a question out of curiosity)

1 minute ago, ArkTheYO said:

Hey Just curious to know, isnt the per core performane of FX-83XX processors in no comparison with i7 cpu's esepecially 7700 and 6700k, i.e. dont hold even a competition against them. (the question is asked in the most polite manner and is just a question out of curiosity)

Intel's architecture is faster than what AMD currently has on sale on a per core basis. Where AMD has the advantage is Intel uses Hyper Threading to run 2 threads on one integer processor, and AMD has 8 integer processors. If you run the CPU's at 100% using just integers, AMD will give better performance. Intel have the advantage of having 8 floating point units, where AMD only have 4 on the 8 core processors. Game physics are mostly floating point, so more FPU's means more (floating point) computations at once, and better gaming performance. This is why an 8 core AMD is on par with an i5 in game performance. Most general use applications and OS's are working with integers only for most of the time. This gives AMD the edge with VM's and general multi-tasking.

3 hours ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Intel's architecture is faster than what AMD currently has on sale on a per core basis. Where AMD has the advantage is Intel uses Hyper Threading to run 2 threads on one integer processor, and AMD has 8 integer processors. If you run the CPU's at 100% using just integers, AMD will give better performance. Intel have the advantage of having 8 floating point units, where AMD only have 4 on the 8 core processors. Game physics are mostly floating point, so more FPU's means more (floating point) computations at once, and better gaming performance. This is why an 8 core AMD is on par with an i5 in game performance. Most general use applications and OS's are working with integers only for most of the time. This gives AMD the edge with VM's and general multi-tasking.

Thanks mahn though i guess ill have to learn a more about FPU thingy! 9_9