Static pressure fans

Dogsparky

It has been pointed out to me a few weeks ago that while looking at the a if low of corsair sp120s had the same airflow as the af120s (actually a bit better) while running at only about 150 rpm more with higher static pressure

So why would anyone recommend airflow with corsair over any their af?

7 minutes ago, Dogsparky said:

It has been pointed out to me a few weeks ago that while looking at the a if low of corsair sp120s had the same airflow as the af120s (actually a bit better) while running at only about 150 rpm more with higher static pressure

So why would anyone recommend airflow with corsair over any their af?

Lots of broken and non-sensible engrish here.... but I think I get what you're asking.

SP fans ARE definitely more versatile than AF fans. In most cases the CFM is quite similar on a SP to a similar AF fan (~90%-ish).

The reason that AF fans still exist is because they still DO move a larger volume of air than SP fans at the same RPM's. You may not think that 150 RPM means a whole lot, but its easily the difference between silence and a hum. There is also the concern of directional airflow. If for some reason you need directional airflow, AF fans offer an advantage here since they blow air out in a fairly cylindrical shape whereas SP fans blow air out in a very cone-like shape. There may be other reasons, but those are the ones I'm aware of. Realistically most people won't notice any difference between the two in an open air situation, and the SP fan has a definite advantage in a restricted situation... so many experts often suggest just getting an SP fan unless you know for sure you're going to have an open-air situation.

SP Fans are basically better in almost every way.

AF Fans are usually bought by consumers who don't know any better, but AF fans so have some legit uses. it's just that the uses are few and far between.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1 hour ago, RadiatingLight said:

Except in the ways they aren't, as listed above

3 hours ago, Zyndo said:

Except in the ways they aren't, as listed above

That's where i get confused at when it has listed as the same amount if airflow (unless looking at the different versions of them) but otherwise same airflow but more static pressure 

5 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

AF Fans are usually bought by consumers who don't know any better, but AF fans so have some legit uses. it's just that the uses are few and far between.

That's where i get ci fuse dvut that is what i am thinking, as well if it has the same airflow as an AF120 but different use case and more static pressure but people still say get airflow fans unless this is happening when it is literally the same thing 

4 hours ago, Dogsparky said:

That's where i get ci fuse dvut that is what i am thinking, as well if it has the same airflow as an AF120 but different use case and more static pressure but people still say get airflow fans unless this is happening when it is literally the same thing 

I don't know if we're looking at different specs or whatever.... but the AF120 fans have clearly superior airflow compared to the SP120's at similar RPM's

http://www.corsair.com/en-ca/air-series-af120-quiet-edition-high-airflow-120mm-fan-twin-pack
http://www.corsair.com/en-ca/air-series-sp120-high-performance-edition-high-static-pressure-120mm-fan

For an easy point please let me direct your eyes to the performance models of each respective fan.

the SP120 Needs to get to 2350 RPM in order to achieve 62.74 CFM... The AF120 only need be at 1650 RPM to reach 63.47 CFM. It can spin 70% the speed and achieve about the same airflow. Now look at their rated noise level for those operating speeds. 35 dba vs 30 dba. May not sound like a lot, but dba is measured like the Richter Scale, every 10 points is 10x as loud... so that 5 dba is about 3-4x as loud (I don't know the exact math here, feel free to correct that if its wrong). The point is, there is a BIG difference on paper between the two.

Now, with how versatile SP fans are, how little those differences in airflow make, the loss you take when an AF fan is obstructed, and considering people usually have more than 1 fan in their systems, there is enough airflow to go around as a whole that getting an SP fan is usually the "default" option a PC builder should take if they don't know which would be more beneficial to them... But to say that "the uses are few and far between" isn't really fair as they definitely do what they're advertised to do: Move Air.

2 hours ago, Zyndo said:

I don't know if we're looking at different specs or whatever.... but the AF120 fans have clearly superior airflow compared to the SP120's at similar RPM's

http://www.corsair.com/en-ca/air-series-af120-quiet-edition-high-airflow-120mm-fan-twin-pack
http://www.corsair.com/en-ca/air-series-sp120-high-performance-edition-high-static-pressure-120mm-fan

For an easy point please let me direct your eyes to the performance models of each respective fan.

the SP120 Needs to get to 2350 RPM in order to achieve 62.74 CFM... The AF120 only need be at 1650 RPM to reach 63.47 CFM. It can spin 70% the speed and achieve about the same airflow. Now look at their rated noise level for those operating speeds. 35 dba vs 30 dba. May not sound like a lot, but dba is measured like the Richter Scale, every 10 points is 10x as loud... so that 5 dba is about 3-4x as loud (I don't know the exact math here, feel free to correct that if its wrong). The point is, there is a BIG difference on paper between the two.

Now, with how versatile SP fans are, how little those differences in airflow make, the loss you take when an AF fan is obstructed, and considering people usually have more than 1 fan in their systems, there is enough airflow to go around as a whole that getting an SP fan is usually the "default" option a PC builder should take if they don't know which would be more beneficial to them... But to say that "the uses are few and far between" isn't really fair as they definitely do what they're advertised to do: Move Air.

The 57 cfm is the sp120

Screenshot_2017-02-16-23-12-26.png

Screenshot_2017-02-16-23-11-59.png

2 minutes ago, Dogsparky said:

Snip

What am i looking at? I thought the question was about corsair AF/SP fans? You could pick the worst AF fan on the market and it would certainly lose a performance battle against the best SP fan on the market. Not really a good comparison if you're picking random fans from random companies.

4 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

What am i looking at? I thought the question was about corsair AF/SP fans? You could pick the worst AF fan on the market and it would certainly lose a performance battle against the best SP fan on the market. Not really a good comparison if you're picking random fans from random companies.

I never picked random fans by other companies

25 minutes ago, Dogsparky said:

I never picked random fans by other companies

Okay... well i still have absolutely no idea what i'm looking at. just random numbers on what appears to be newegg. I linked you corsairs fans from corsairs site.

17 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

Okay... well i still have absolutely no idea what i'm looking at. just random numbers on what appears to be newegg. I linked you corsairs fans from corsairs site.

Those are corsair fans as well, i said it was in the comment part of it, and it also shows the cfm on the website saying 57 

Screenshot_2017-02-17-00-04-25.png

6 minutes ago, Dogsparky said:

Snip

Aight.... well i get the feeling you didn't bother to click in my links at all, but whatever. Seeing as we have been talking about differing fans, odds are they not only differ in LED's, but differ in blade design as well. Not all AF fans are better than all SP fans. My advice and recommendation was based on a broad generalization of AF vs SP, and I used Corsair AF120 and SP120 (non-LED) fans to make the comparison because they're a good example of it and thought those were the ones you were talking about. I'm sure if you looked at their ML120 fans they would probably be better than both of these fans combined. I'm sure if you found the cheapest 4 dollar "AF" fan on the market, it would be the worst fan in existence.

Your question was about AF vs SP. I set you straight on that. If you want someone to tell you what to buy or what not to buy, go head over to best buy and just take something home as you do not seem well suited for the "custom" part of custom builds.