Investation on Motherboard

Go to solution Solved by typographie,
9 minutes ago, Juppo said:

Suddenly i come up with this idea. Is it worth to buy a upper class motherboard like Asus z170A or even z270?
And I planning to buy intel i5 6600k and GTX 1060 for graphic card.

If you want to overclock an Intel CPU, there are two things you absolutely must have: a CPU with a "K" in the name (such as that i5-6600K), and a motherboard with a Z-series chipset. If you do not intend to overclock, you can then choose to buy a locked CPU instead (e.g. i5-6500) and a motherboard with a lower-end chipset to save some money. What motherboard you need depends on how you intend to use its features.

Hey guys,
I'm still new here and i watch LTT a lot from youtube channel. From that experience I feel interested on building my own PC, but as the first world problem to do things is about budget.
I still wondering what-to-buy-1st..
Suddenly i come up with this idea. Is it worth to buy a upper class motherboard like Asus z170A or even z270?

NB: This is my first attempt to build

2 minutes ago, Juppo said:

Hey guys,
I'm still new here and i watch LTT a lot from youtube channel. From that experience I feel interested on building my own PC, but as the first world problem to do things is about budget.
I still wondering what-to-buy-1st..

NB: This is my first attempt to build

what country are you in and what would be the budget? a 6600k and 1060 is a good choice but if you would like to future proof on the cpu i would get a i7 and a 1060 or 1070

My Rigs

Main Rig

Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Asus Z170-A 
                                                                                                        Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000

Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

GeForce GTX 1070 Video Card (purchasing soon might be getting G1 or gaming x)

NZXT S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case

EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

22 minutes ago, Juppo said:

Budget/Country and whats your display set up?

Most likely will not be using those parts, Z170/Z270 are for overclocking, though generally you could get away with a far cheaper CPU for 60hz gaming to save up for an i7 upgrade

and the 480 is going to be a better choice overall than a 1060

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

9 minutes ago, Juppo said:

If you want to overclock an Intel CPU, there are two things you absolutely must have: a CPU with a "K" in the name (such as that i5-6600K), and a motherboard with a Z-series chipset. If you do not intend to overclock, you can then choose to buy a locked CPU instead (e.g. i5-6500) and a motherboard with a lower-end chipset to save some money. What motherboard you need depends on how you intend to use its features.

49 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Z170 will suffice. By the time you want a CPU upgrade, it will be on a different socket anyway. And yes in the long run you're better off with a RX480 over the 1060.

Not exactly, a Kaby Lake i5 is like $240, if you instead get a G4560 with a Z270 board, you save $150 ish you can directly put to the i7 upgrade, and the G4560 will be fine in the mean time if the goal is 60hz gaming

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

50 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

But does he need or want to spend the extra $ for an i7? Does it have to be Z270 to take an i7? 

More like a might as well, since the i7 is usually only $100 more for 4 extra threads and having the top end CPU for that socket, meaning it won't need replacing for some time

Of course Ryzen is going to change pretty much everything so long as it performs decently

Spoiler

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Bjd2TH

Here is a $935 build.

Didn't put a SSD in the build but it should be something to consider.

So tell me what you think and what is your budget?

To be an expert is to know more about less.

• 2014 Build --> FX 8350 4.7GHz {} ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer {} Reference GTX 980 4GB {} 2x4GB 1866MHz HyperX {} Seagate 2TB 7200rpm {} 840 EVO 120GB {} XFX PRO850W {} Noctua NH D14 {} Fractal Define R4 White Windowed
  • 2018 Build --> Ryzen 7 2700X {} ASRock Fatal1ty X470 Gaming K4 {} Gigabyte RTX 2070 8GB {} 2x8GB HX Fury 3200MHz {} Toshiba P300 2TB {} Kingston 480GB A1000 {} Corsair RM750W {} Enermax LIQMAX II 240 {} Fractal Focus G
  • 2021 Build --> Ryzen 9 5900X {} ASUS ROG Strix X570-F GAMING {} ASUS GeForce RTX 3080Ti ROG STRIX OC {} Gigabyte AORUS RGB DDR4 32GB {} Kingston KC2500 M.2 2280 NVMe 2TB {} Seasonic FOCUS GX-1000 {} ASUS ROG Ryujin 240 AIO {} NYXT H710i
  • Laptop --> ASUS ROG STRIX G713RS {} Ryzen 9 6900HX {} 32GB DDR5 {} RTX 3080 {} 1TB NVMe {} Win 11 Home

hey guys, thanks for your reply..
im from indonesia, my budget about $1000.(PC only)

So for conclusion, its not that good to invest in motherboard.
By your comment I noticed that this motherboard are meant to overclocking and im not going to do that.
i just considering to build a gaming PC that doesn't need much upgrade or will upgrade in couple years.