Playing games on primary display causes secondary to lag.

Kevin_Walter

So this issue is incredibly annoying and I've been experiencing it for quite some time. 

While running a game on my primary display, my secondary display will drop to about 1fps. This is especially annoying when trying to use an application like OBS, which has the preview window for monitoring, as well as trying to watch videos and such while gaming. 

It doesn't do this for all games. For instance, Diablo 3 doesn't cause this. I frequently watch youtube videos and play that. Both fullscreen and borderless windowed modes work fine. Then there are games like Fallout 4, which cause this issue whether I'm running fullscreen or windowed. 

All I can find online is stuff related to Windows 8 and power settings. Though many of those issues seem to have been fixed with a Windows 8 update. Unfortunately, I'm running Windows 10, and yes, everything is up to date. 

Windows 10

i5 6600k @ 4.3 GHz

R9 390

16 GBs RAM

Both monitors are connected to my GPU via DVI.

This issue doesn't seem to affect recording. The recordings turn out fine. It's just the stuff that's displayed on the second monitor.

And here's a nifty little video showing this issue when trying to record Stalker. Sorry for the potato quality, I'm pretty sure the camera in my tablet is a literal piece of shit.

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

Did you recently change anything when this started to happen?

Runescape player  II  Civ 6 and LoL noob  II  

3 minutes ago, Epic_Nex said:

Did you recently change anything when this started to happen?

No. This has been happening for a long time. Through multiple Windows and driver updates.

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

What happens if you move your game to the second monitor? Will the other one start to lag? Also, what does your GPU and CPU usage look like when you run Fallout 4?

if it happens only on some games wouldn't it be the games fault or drivers seeing how you all ways had this problem.

10 minutes ago, mad dudy said:

if it happens only on some games wouldn't it be the games fault or drivers seeing how you all ways had this problem.

It could be that maybe it's taking all the resources, especially if he is making it run as high graphics as it can. That's is why I am curious on the usage.