Boot problems

Help, I need somebody who knows why this is happening.

My PC is taking literally like 5 mins to boot into windows.

I made a video showing the issue to help diagnose the problem:

Here's a link, sorry for my rambling.

If you have any ideas please let me know :) Thaks

have you tried resetting cmos, or cleaning up your OS?

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

Given that all of that time was spent getting your system to POST, it seems reasonable to think that BIOS/UEFI is at fault rather than OS. Altough I do not know about any setting that could potentially result in that much delay. Perhaps some part is somehow damaged in a way that causes it to take that much time to test? You could try removing ram stick(s) (assuming you have more than one).

stupid question but have you checked you have fast boot turned on and you made sure the extra checks are turned off in bios, also that your os drive is the only boot device.

4 minutes ago, Verrierr said:

Given that all of that time was spent getting your system to POST, it seems reasonable to think that BIOS/UEFI is at fault rather than OS. Altough I do not know about any setting that could potentially result in that much delay. Perhaps some part is somehow damaged in a way that causes it to take that much time to test? You could try removing ram stick(s) (assuming you have more than one).

Unfortunately, I only have a couple 4GB DIMMS for the 8GB I have and I am fairly sure that there isn't damage as there are no signs of other issues in the OS. That being said I could be wrong there, simply looking at my reliability history suggest its sub-par. But I still believe it would be an issue hanging the board from posting rather than an OS issue as its doing it on the ASUS logo.

I'll do a memory test to see if the RAM is having issues, stay tuned ;)

17 minutes ago, MrMcMuffinJr said:

have you tried resetting cmos, or cleaning up your OS?

I have tried resetting to defaults a few times but I'll be honest this seems to be a reoccurring thing. Part of me is thinking it maybe my keyboard as it's, well, old as hell from like 2007? it's a Logitech G15 orange revision

4 minutes ago, Nero1992 said:

stupid question but have you checked you have fast boot turned on and you made sure the extra checks are turned off in bios, also that your os drive is the only boot device.

I think so, but what settings should I look for in particular? I'll make sure

4 minutes ago, rob3342421 said:

But I still believe it would be an issue hanging the board from posting rather than an OS issue as its doing it on the ASUS logo.

I said that I also belive it's the mobo, not the OS.

5 minutes ago, rob3342421 said:

I'll do a memory test to see if the RAM is having issues, stay tuned ;)

If the SPD is faulty it won't turn out in RAM test, I still think you should try booting with one stick at a time.

5 minutes ago, Nero1992 said:

mainly the fast boot, do you have a hdd or ssd?

I have both,

OS on SSD

then 2 HDD and 1 old SSD as storage

4 minutes ago, Verrierr said:

I said that I also belive it's the mobo, not the OS.

If the SPD is faulty it won't turn out in RAM test, I still think you should try booting with one stick at a time.

Ok I won't be able to do that soon but I'll try troubleshooting this soon to see if it fixes the problem

56 minutes ago, rob3342421 said:

Help, I need somebody who knows why this is happening.

My PC is taking literally like 5 mins to boot into windows.

I made a video showing the issue to help diagnose the problem:

Here's a link, sorry for my rambling.

If you have any ideas please let me know :) Thaks

Maybe you should try to unplug every USB devices to see if it make a difference

I have tried to troubleshoot what I can and here is a video update on the progress:

https://youtu.be/3MKNEsPiY9M

On 06/02/2017 at 3:25 PM, Belzebuth said:

Maybe you should try to unplug every USB devices to see if it make a difference

I tried this and I don't think it helped unfortunately.

On 06/02/2017 at 2:57 PM, Nero1992 said:

I have checked that fast boot is enabled (it always has been), couldn't find the extra checks options though unfortunately. and changed some of the boot options. Before all my drives where in the boot options, now only my OS drive is the boot option.

I also just checked the ASUS website to see if there is a new BIOS, there isn't, I have the current version at 3007

For the record, the boot time has reduced to about 1-2 minutes rather than 4-5 minutes but it's still pretty bad.

16 hours ago, rob3342421 said:

I have tried to troubleshoot what I can and here is a video update on the progress:

https://youtu.be/3MKNEsPiY9M

I tried this and I don't think it helped unfortunately.

I have checked that fast boot is enabled (it always has been), couldn't find the extra checks options though unfortunately. and changed some of the boot options. Before all my drives where in the boot options, now only my OS drive is the boot option.

I also just checked the ASUS website to see if there is a new BIOS, there isn't, I have the current version at 3007

For the record, the boot time has reduced to about 1-2 minutes rather than 4-5 minutes but it's still pretty bad.

If you have more than one drive, you can try to unplug them, and just boot using your main OS drive

I have just done a windows memory test and it found nothing

EDIT: I have started a thread on another forum to try and find the answer for this issue.

Here and here so if you're looking for answers to a similar issue, try these.

• 3 weeks later...