GPU Noise and Crazy high FPS

Thubz
Go to solution Solved by Thubz,
On 31-1-2017 at 1:57 AM, Dango said:

Just turn on your Vsync. High FPS make greater coil whine.

Seems they are louder on Nvidia card than AMD.

Thermal paste did wonders and fixed it all

-thubz

Greetings,

First of all sorry if i make any typo's english isn't my main language.

Since a while i got some strange issues with my GPU, its a GTX980 EVGA 4GB.

When i play some games my Gcard start to make tons of noise almost as a jet taking off next to me..

Did started to notice this on World of Warcraft in a dungeon a boss used a ground move wich made alot of smoke effect and my fps went from 120 instant to over 600fps and started to make a ton of noise, now when its gone or when i alt-tab my GPU slows down again and makes no noise.

i did not overlock my GPU for any further info feel free to ask im emailing with EVGA aswell but there pretty slow with answering -_-

Thanks in advance :) 

Is it like a high-pitched noise? As that is likely normal, high FPS causes a lot of power to go through the coils which causes them to whine, you can prevent this by enabling V-Sync or a framerate limiter, some games have those built in as well.

2 minutes ago, Mina Darsh said:

Is it like a high-pitched noise? As that is likely normal, high FPS causes a lot of power to go through the coils which causes them to whine, you can prevent this by enabling V-Sync or a framerate limiter, some games have those built in as well.

Thanks for quick reply, sadly enough Vsync/fps limit doesn't seem to help (did try that alrdy) i still get the issue.. what i find strange is that is randomly happend and not from day1 i got it thats what got me worried abit downloading some benchmarks to check my gpu stats hoping it tells me abit more

If it sounds a bit like a grasshopper, it is coil whine. Here is how to fix it:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

3 minutes ago, Thubz said:

Thanks for quick reply, sadly enough Vsync/fps limit doesn't seem to help (did try that alrdy) i still get the issue.. what i find strange is that is randomly happend and not from day1 i got it thats what got me worried abit downloading some benchmarks to check my gpu stats hoping it tells me abit more

Oh, hm, well you could download MSI Afterburner, it has all the measuring tools in that you might need, you could see for example if the fan tachometer shows any weird readings.

Also, can you describe the noise in more detail? You said it sounded more like the card taking off, that does seem like the fan is doing something funny.

23 minutes ago, Mina Darsh said:

Oh, hm, well you could download MSI Afterburner, it has all the measuring tools in that you might need, you could see for example if the fan tachometer shows any weird readings.

Also, can you describe the noise in more detail? You said it sounded more like the card taking off, that does seem like the fan is doing something funny.

hm best way to describe the sound i gues is as if the Fans go 500times faster as they should i had a issue like this on my PS3 aswell i always called it "jet engine modus" cuz of the sound it makes -_-  

i'm pretty sure the sound is also made by the fans only the reason why is a mystery

30 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

If it sounds a bit like a grasshopper, it is coil whine. Here is how to fix it:

thanks alotwill check it out if its same issue! :) 

So yea. i been testing and checking if its Coil whine this doesnt seem to be the issue, i used GPU-Z to see whats going on ill attach the screenshots maybe someone here does understand whats going on because im lost :/

all 3 screenshots whas during the noise and in 3 dif stages because it goes from noisy to crazy loud.

noise-low.gif

noise-medium.gif

noise-loud.gif

Is it possible the card has a 0dB (fanless) mode? Then the fans will be off below 60C or so and start spinning once the GPU exceeds these temperatures. Maybe some games don't push your card hard enough to start the fans and now you're just hearing the fans ramping up to high speeds because you reach 87C (mine get pretty loud at >80% as well).

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

11 hours ago, tikker said:

Is it possible the card has a 0dB (fanless) mode? Then the fans will be off below 60C or so and start spinning once the GPU exceeds these temperatures. Maybe some games don't push your card hard enough to start the fans and now you're just hearing the fans ramping up to high speeds because you reach 87C (mine get pretty loud at >80% as well).

ye that does seem whats happening, cuz when idle ther not spinning.. altho i still find it strange there so much louder as they used to be when i got the card.. i use to play games like witcher3/ryse all maxed out wich are more demanding games then WoW for example (i use WoW mostly as reference because the card goes crazy on that game)

I notice your card keeps being limited by the Temperature Limit (Thrm), normally it would be limited by VRel/Util in the second last sensor reading.

Looking into the specs, I notice your card runs higher than the Boost clocks original speed so either it is being run overclocked or received a factory overclock. What kind of cooler is on there by the way? Reference or a third party cooler?

22 hours ago, Mina Darsh said:

I notice your card keeps being limited by the Temperature Limit (Thrm), normally it would be limited by VRel/Util in the second last sensor reading.

Looking into the specs, I notice your card runs higher than the Boost clocks original speed so either it is being run overclocked or received a factory overclock. What kind of cooler is on there by the way? Reference or a third party cooler?

This is the card i got.

http://www.evga.com/Products/Specs/GPU.aspx?pn=472a80bc-9a78-45b1-8560-6fa1916330e8

i didnt change anything to it mine is at it is on the website, didnt OC it my self or what so ever

Turn VSYNC on m8, the lag is minimal among other benefits (power consumption, heat, less coil whine, longer card life exp). One day I logged with vsync off and on character screen I reached.. 1000fps, had loud coil whine plus graphics were flashing.

2 hours ago, Krinidon said:

Turn VSYNC on m8, the lag is minimal among other benefits (power consumption, heat, less coil whine, longer card life exp). One day I logged with vsync off and on character screen I reached.. 1000fps, had loud coil whine plus graphics were flashing.

Read the third post.

9 hours ago, Mina Darsh said:

Read the third post.

ye i've tried it but still happends bit less but still very loud

On 31-1-2017 at 1:57 AM, Dango said:

Just turn on your Vsync. High FPS make greater coil whine.

Seems they are louder on Nvidia card than AMD.

Thermal paste did wonders and fixed it all

-thubz