m.2 NVME disappears from boot devices in bios when trying to overclock

Scruffy90

I am trying to overclock my CPU on an Asus Sabertooth TUF x99, but whenever I go into AI tweaker and change the Ai Overclock Tuner to manual, my 960 evo disappears from my bios and I cannot boot into Windows. The only way i've been able to get everything up and running again is by setting Ai Overclock Tuner back to auto. Can anyone tell me whats going on and how I could overclock my system manually without having to lose my SSD in the process?

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

if you are messing with BCLK that might explain things

if this = true then: this is why you dont touch BCLK :P

10 minutes ago, Scruffy90 said:

I am trying to overclock my CPU on an Asus Sabertooth TUF x99, but whenever I go into AI tweaker and change the Ai Overclock Tuner to manual, my 960 evo disappears from my bios and I cannot boot into Windows. The only way i've been able to get everything up and running again is by setting Ai Overclock Tuner back to auto. Can anyone tell me whats going on and how I could overclock my system manually without having to lose my SSD in the process?

sorry ive just been staring at your profile pick for the last minutes.. might come up with an idea soon. dont know

Current Build:

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K at 4.8Ghz CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 AIO Motherboard: gigabyte Z270X ultra gaming 

Memory: Trident Z rgb 16gb 3000Mhz
Storage: Samsung 250GB SSD Storage2: sandisk ultra II 960gb SSD Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 O8G STRIX  

Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400

Power Supply: Corsair RM650X Fans: 2x 120mm NZXT Aer rgb LEDcontroller: NZXT Hue+ LEDstrip: cablemod hybrid-LED/UV 60Cm

peripherals:

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow X Chroma Gamepad: Razer Tartarus Mouse: Razer Mamba TE 2015 Chroma Headphones: Logitech G533 Wireless

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM Monitor1: AOC Q2577PWQ 2560X1440 OC'ed to 75 Hz Monitor2: LG 25UM57-P 25.0" 2560x1080 OC'ed to 75Hz 

PCpartpicker list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Qt76xY

My laptop: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-VN7-571G-50VG-Notebook-Computer-i5-5200U/dp/B01CL50JV6

Quote:

If you really want it, go get it.

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

if you are messing with BCLK that might explain things

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

To test this out, I loaded the default settings for the bios, and simply selected manual from the AI Tweaker > Ai Overclock Tuner without touching anything else (it keeps everything as auto until I manually configure it as far as I could tell) and I lose my ssd.  Putting everything back at Auto makes it available again 

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

BCLK not being at 100Mhz is known to upset PCH's SATA controller and PCIe devices (being it SSDs)

2 minutes ago, Scruffy90 said:

To test this out, I loaded the default settings for the bios, and simply selected manual from the AI Tweaker > Ai Overclock Tuner without touching anything else (it keeps everything as auto until I manually configure it as far as I could tell) and I lose my ssd.  Putting everything back at Auto makes it available again 

if you want to overclock, do it manually via BIOS and not via some shit utility

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

BCLK not being at 100Mhz is known to upset PCH's SATA controller and PCIe devices (being it SSDs)

It is at 100Mhz when switching to manual

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

if you want to overclock, do it manually via BIOS and not via some shit utility

This is through the BIOS. Ai Tweaker is a tab in the BIOS and Ai Overclock Tuner is the first setting in that tab

So an update to anyone helping me. I tried doing a reinstall of windows and the 960 evo isn't detected at all. How would I be able to find out if its the ssd or the mobo thats shot without having additional equipment?

Make sure that the bios is set to 'other OS' in the Windows 8 Features.  IIRC, unless you enable that option an NVMe drive won't be bootable into the OS.

Fractal Design Define C | Intel Core i7 7700k | Corsair H100i V2 | Gigabyte Z270X Gaming 7 | Seasonic Prime 750 | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
16gb G.Skill Trident Z | Samsung 960 Evo NVMe 500gb | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Razer Death Adder Chroma | Razer Firefly | Dell U2515H

13 hours ago, Ensho said:

Make sure that the bios is set to 'other OS' in the Windows 8 Features.  IIRC, unless you enable that option an NVMe drive won't be bootable into the OS.

Did that too. I got on the phone with ASUS last night and now I am able to set my multiplier, but now if I try to manually key in voltage, it does what I described above as well.

I would just flash to the latest bios and see what happens.  It might mean giving up your overclock for now but it's best to eliminate the possibility that the motherboard is straight up incompatible.  After that, try a manual OC.

For the record: calling Asus probably isn't going to get you far in this situation.  That's not a knock at their support, but with thier X99 boards they're probably going to tell you that the 960 just isn't supported on that board.

Did that too. I updated my bios to 3402 and the problem still exist there. I'll be somewhat upset if its incompatible. May be my best bet to just get a sata ssd drive.

5 minutes ago, Scruffy90 said:

Did that too. I updated my bios to 3402 and the problem still exist there. I'll be somewhat upset if its incompatible. May be my best bet to just get a sata ssd drive.

You honestly won't notice a large difference, but you could also try different pci-e slots (assuming youre not using an m.2 slot, otherwise you may need an adapter).

1 minute ago, Biggerboot said:

You honestly won't notice a large difference, but you could also try different pci-e slots (assuming youre not using an m.2 slot).

The 960 evo I bought is using the m.2 slot. Do you think its simply incompatibility between the mobo and the drive or do you think something might not be working as intended?

1 minute ago, Scruffy90 said:

The 960 evo I bought is using the m.2 slot. Do you think its simply incompatibility between the mobo and the drive or do you think something might not be working as intended?

Can't say for sure, I would try exhausting every possibility before coming to that conclusion.  The m.2 uses part of your SATA controller (it actually disables some SATA ports).  The PCI-e will use your pci-e lanes, which I think you have plenty of on x99.

Not being an officially supported drive doesn't always mean incompatibility but it basically means they didn't extensively test it with their board so there's a chance it has quirks like this.

2 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

Can't say for sure, I would try exhausting every possibility before coming to that conclusion.  The m.2 uses part of your SATA controller (it actually disables some SATA ports).  The PCI-e will use your pci-e lanes, which I think you have plenty of on x99.

Not being an officially supported drive doesn't always mean incompatibility but it basically means they didn't extensively test it with their board so there's a chance it has quirks like this.

Dont know if its using mSata. In the manual it states that it disables the pcie3 x4 lane that the m2 slot is next to. I will keep testing. Otherwise i'm just going to get as large as a sata SSD as I could get

4 minutes ago, Scruffy90 said:

Dont know if its using mSata. In the manual it states that it disables the pcie3 x4 lane that the m2 slot is next to. I will keep testing. Otherwise i'm just going to get as large as a sata SSD as I could get

I think you're right actually, NVMe is different (form factor wise).  Still, an adapter would be nice to have so you could test on other boards too.

1 minute ago, Biggerboot said:

I think you're right actually, NVMe is different.  Still, an adapter would be nice to have so you could test on other boards too.

My other board is z77 and I dont believe it supports nvme. I'm going to see if the store I bought it from could test it since i'm still within the return period.

16 minutes ago, Scruffy90 said:

My other board is z77 and I dont believe it supports nvme. I'm going to see if the store I bought it from could test it since i'm still within the return period.

If they could that would be great.  Another thing I was thinking you could try is testing the drive without the GPU installed or installed in a 2.0 slot.  Again, not that it makes a lot of sense, but maybe it's an overlap in the pci-e controller that's messing things up.

3 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

If they could that would be great.  Another thing I was thinking you could try is testing the drive without the GPU installed or installed in a 2.0 slot.  Again, not that it makes a lot of sense, but maybe it's an overlap in the pci-e controller that's messing things up.

May be entirely possible. May try the second slot and see if that helps anything. Cant do it without a GPU though as this board doesnt have any video outputs.

7 minutes ago, Scruffy90 said:

May be entirely possible. May try the second slot and see if that helps anything. Cant do it without a GPU though as this board doesnt have any video outputs.

Ah, indeed.  I'll admit I didn't research your board and the info I'm giving is kind of generic.  Hope that works out for you.

7 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

Ah, indeed.  I'll admit I didn't research your board and the info I'm giving is kind of generic.  Hope that works out for you.

It's all good. Any bit of help is well worth it.

• 1 year later...
On 3/22/2018 at 11:19 AM, gfarmer2103 said:

Not sure if your still messing with this but disabling csm compatibility may solve your problem. 

Going to give this a shot at some point this week since I'm considering OCing my rig again. Thanks!