Advice on getting a used GPU

G4TN
Go to solution Solved by gtx1060=value,
2 minutes ago, G4TN said:

Hello, this is my first ever post on the LTT forums. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong sub-forum, but this seemed like the only one that relatively fit my question.

I plan on buying a used ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 ROG in my area and I was just wondering if there were any sort of precautions I should look out for when going to pick it up. He will have the card running on his computer to show me that it's working, but what should I visually inspect on the card and what should I test on his computer? The information that he's given me is that the card has been used since July 31st, he mostly played WoW and The Witcher on it, and besides that, not much else.

Just as a note, I've never bought used hardware and this will be a first time for me so any words of advice would be appreciated.

for starters, check to make sure that the gpu isnt off and he's not using integrated to con you, and run cinebench and some gpu health tests to confirm the gpu works fine

Hello, this is my first ever post on the LTT forums. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong sub-forum, but this seemed like the only one that relatively fit my question.

I plan on buying a used ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 ROG in my area and I was just wondering if there were any sort of precautions I should look out for when going to pick it up. He will have the card running on his computer to show me that it's working, but what should I visually inspect on the card and what should I test on his computer? The information that he's given me is that the card has been used since July 31st, he mostly played WoW and The Witcher on it, and besides that, not much else.

Just as a note, I've never bought used hardware and this will be a first time for me so any words of advice would be appreciated.

2 minutes ago, G4TN said:

for starters, check to make sure that the gpu isnt off and he's not using integrated to con you, and run cinebench and some gpu health tests to confirm the gpu works fine

Not really much to look for besides obvious hardware defects (dents, scratches, etc) or perhaps some coil whine while it's running.

look for any burnt marks or damage on the pcb, run unigine heaven and/or 3dmark firestrike and check for any artifacts(small dots of random color)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

If they claim in the listing title non overclocked in bold letters. They are probably lieing. If youreally picking it up ask if you can test it in your own rig or in their rig before making the sale. Test it in game and note the fps and compare it to the benchmarks and see if they fall in the margin of error. Also check any oc utility if the settings are normal.

Like @gtx1060=value said run tests

FURMARK if you wish

Run some benchmarks too if you have time, Heaven/Valley doesn't take long

Okay, thanks guys. I plan on running Heaven and I'll see if I can also do Cinebench. Thanks again guys!