What to do...

EnzoMP

Hi there guys!

Lately I've been thinking about buying a true pc monitor for my computer.

Why I say "true monitor"?

Well, because I am using an old samsung LE32B530P7W. It's a 32" 1080p LED television. It has served me well the last 7-8 years (don't even remember when I got it).

It has some dead leds, gives off a lot of heat, and it's for sure not eye-friendly. Also it's f***ing huge and I'd love to get some more space on my desk to have some space where to study. You see:

g.jpg
Some time ago I tried a 1440p 144Hz monitor of a friend and I loved it. Since then I've been thinking about 2560 x 1440 monitors. 

I also know that playing on a monitor is better since there's usually much less imput lag. And in some way I kind of felt the difference while playing OW at my friend's house. 

BUT, but... In the next few months there will be many new GPUs (Vega and 1080Ti), also brand new HDR monitors.

If I wish to buy a 1440p monitor, my 970 will not suffice for sure. With a 144Hz one even less.

So I was wondering: what should i buy first? And when? 

Shall I buy the best monitor I can get now, without using it at it max while saving for a new GPU? 

Or shall I buy a new GPU then saving for a new monitor?

Atm I have 500-600Eur that I can spend, and will get 50 ever week since i do some light part time jobs. 

What do you think? 

And what would you raccomand me to buy from amazon.it

CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.00Ghz - Motherboard: ASRock Z97X Killer - RAM: HyperX Savage Kit 2 x 4 GB - GPU: Inno3D iChill Geforce GTX 970 Ultra - Case: NZXT Noctis 450 - Storage (1st): Samsung SSD 850 EVO 120GB - Storage (2nd): Seagate 2TB HDD - PSU: Evga Supernova 750 G2 80+ Gold

Well if you already have a monitor type now, you can already buy that and play on lower settings until you are ready for a GPU upgrade. Also it is no big issue if you would only run on about 100 or even 75 fps for that matter. The screen won't mind it, you just don't have the full potential yet.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

But is 144Hz worth the non 1440p?

CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.00Ghz - Motherboard: ASRock Z97X Killer - RAM: HyperX Savage Kit 2 x 4 GB - GPU: Inno3D iChill Geforce GTX 970 Ultra - Case: NZXT Noctis 450 - Storage (1st): Samsung SSD 850 EVO 120GB - Storage (2nd): Seagate 2TB HDD - PSU: Evga Supernova 750 G2 80+ Gold

28 minutes ago, EnzoMP said:

You're going to want to look for this $400 USD Pixio 1440p 144hz IPS free-sync display, and then probably whatever high end Vega GPU is reasonably priced, if you can find it, it should be the cheapest pretty solid display in that category

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I don't know where to find one of these, tho... 

19 minutes ago, Thread212 said:

Get a decent monitor first like https://www.amazon.it/dp/B00LX2J17W/?tag=pcp06-21

its 1080p TN panel 144hz with G-sync support.

Or just buy a normal 1080p 60hz monitor for the moment, u can choose from pcpartpicker here.

https://it.pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/

2 minutes ago, EnzoMP said:

But is 144Hz worth the non 1440p?

The 1080p display will be TN compared to IPS in the above 1440p display, the 1440p one above is worth it i you can find it

But also even if you have an NVIDIA card, a free-sync 1080p 144hz display is only around 300 EU, better off saving 100 dollars
https://www.amazon.it/dp/B01A0ZRR50/?tag=pcp06-21

Cheapest G-sync equivalent on the part picker
https://it.pcpartpicker.com/product/R998TW/aoc-monitor-g2460pg

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

So i guess you maean that 144Hz > 1440p, and that the 1440p is not worth for a 200Eur bonus.

But there is always something telling me to get a 1440p one...

Screenshot_2017-01-20-14-40-09.jpg

A good screen can last some builds and upgrades. So I would go for a 144Hz 1440p screen over 1080p.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list