Sub $150 Headphones for use with onboard audio?

frasdoge

Hello, I'm sorry for asking as there is a section for the boards recommended gear pinned at the top, but there's so much information half of it has gone over my head.

I am planning to go with onboard audio from a Z270 Extreme4 (All I know is it advertises as Purity Sound 4, with ALC1220 codec), or a similar offering from an AMD Zen mobo once it is released. I have no idea how much power it can output to headphones, and so I'd need something that can get by without an amp! I mainly game, and listen to primarily rap, but I do enjoy vocal songs as well. I'd prefer it to be mic-less, or have its mic not be in a fixed position so I can wear it around on the train and such. 

Suggestions would be awesome, as I have no experience whatsoever in headphones above $20 :P

+1 for the ATH-M50x, Amazon US has them for 150.  

I've been using the prior model (ATH-M50) for years now and love them.

If you wanna save a few bucks and don't mind a couple minor scratches you can grab them from warehouse deals.  Last time I checked dbrand has compatible skins to cover up any cosmetic damage.

DT770, better than m50x, with controlled bass, better soundstage, sound sig wise they are kinda similar :D

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

6 hours ago, DonJose said:

+1 for the ATH-M50x, Amazon US has them for 150.  

6 hours ago, ramencupofjoy said:

For a mere 20 bucks more you can get the ATH-M50x from Audio Technica

For a mere $20 less, OP can get headphones that would be even better for them. I like that you guys like your headphones, but they are not good for gaming. The sound stage sucks even for closed headphones, and the sound signature isn't here nor there, or something. I didn't find it particularly appealing for gaming in the way it sounded as it doesn't make the right frequencies shine for the usual bass kick. Then again, I haven't had a pair for a while.

@frasdoge there is a pinned thread in this subforum with recommendations for your budget. I would personally recommend for your budget either the Beyerdynamic DT990 if you want open back headphones, which are objectively better for gaming immersion as panned audio has a much wider "sound stage" in that regard. If you want closed cans, I would go DT770. I recommend those particular headphones since you mentioned you listen to rap mainly, and those headphones would do that kind of music more justice than the ATH M50/X headphones.

Least in my opinion.

@Kloaked

I was looking at the products you suggested and there is a semi-open version DT880. How much sound does a semi open headphone output? Keeping in mind I would like to listen to my music on public transport, and I absolutely do not want to be one of "those people" that force their music on everyone around them. Additionally, The 770 and 880 come in 32, 80 and 250 Ohm versions. Which of these is ideal for me? 

2 minutes ago, frasdoge said:

@Kloaked

I was looking at the products you suggested and there is a semi-open version DT880. How much sound does a semi open headphone output? Keeping in mind I would like to listen to my music on public transport, and I absolutely do not want to be one of "those people" that force their music on everyone around them. Additionally, The 770 and 880 come in 32, 80 and 250 Ohm versions. Which of these is ideal for me? 

Well they won't sound like you're playing stuff through speakers, but they will leak a little bit. With those specific headphones I couldn't tell you how loud they would be to others around you.

From what I understand, the 250 Ohm versions of those headphones are easier to drive than the 32 Ohm versions since the 250 Ohm versions have a high sensitivity.

12 hours ago, nicobombai said:

DT770, better than m50x

11 hours ago, Kloaked said:

If you want closed cans, I would go DT770

My search was only pulling up the 250ohm DT770 at $180-200, but searching again it seems the 80ohm is $155.  If your budget isn't firm at 150 then, as stated, these would be a better choice for rap music and gaming than the m50x.

I personally wouldn't recommend open backed headphones for listening on public transport, but as stated previously it is the better option for gaming (though if your looking for better immersion and an actual advantage in gameplay, depending on the games you play, then a surround 'gaming' headset is best.  Just don't expect it to sound as good).

Good luck finding the right pair, I know it's not easy when you're on a budget.

Thanks! I had a read through the product page for the closed back 770, and it recommends the 32 Ohm for mobile devices and onboard audio :) I think I'll try find a nice attachable microphone that's compatible now.

I currently have some speakers set up for my desktop, but it can be awkward playing online games with my friends without some headphones and a mic, and it'll be good to finally have a decent pair of headphones for outside the house!

Is there anything specific I should know about mic compatibility? 

1 hour ago, frasdoge said:

Is there anything specific I should know about mic compatibility? 

If you're brave or are familiar with electronics repair, you can convert the cable to a removable cable and use something like a VModa BoomPro mic.

If not, you could either get something like a clip-on mic from Sony or a desktop mic for when you're at the desk.

Okie. Thanks everyone for contributing and helping me out, I appreciate it a tonne! So far I'll be going with the DT770 32Ohm and possibly a ModMic 4 or, if I can find a handy tutorial for the cable conversion (I think it'd be a fun project), the BoomPro.