best microphone setup

human317

Hey so to got a ATH 20-20 microphone and i am wondering what is the best way to set it up.

How i have it now:

ATH 20-20

XLR TO XLR 

in to a InnoGear xlr power supply

then a XRL to USB from to power supply to my pc

Then i started to think and i have questions.

-Does a good quality XLR cable make a difference? 

-Will a good power supply like a  https://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-Scarlett-Audio-Interface-Tools/dp/B01E6T56CM/ref=pd_sim_267_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01E6T56CM&pd_rd_r=G0C6XXVVG17MWC8TFVRE&pd_rd_w=nC86N&pd_rd_wg=nPDNV&psc=1&refRID=G0C6XXVVG17MWC8TFVRE

make for a better sound

-Last what is the best way to input audio to a PC

https://www.engadget.com/2008/03/03/audiophiles-cant-tell-the-difference-between-monster-cable-and/

Just get what ever length you want, over all doesn't really matter. The mic is the most important part to sound quality. Audio Interfaces for the most just the same thing as DAC but for mics as long as its good they should all be the same, just look for the one with the features and inputs you need. Mostly you don't want to fuck with you sound on input. Do it after words in software. The Focusrite is one of the more popular one but there are other good ones as well. I wouldnt buy it unless you really just want it or you want usb, gain control, and extra input. Or if you just want to step up your audio game for streaming or music recording.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q6U1ZLnor4

Thats a good brake down of Audio Interfaces worth a watch.

thanks lets say i wanted to have to best. what would it be 3.5 or usb im just curious

I've only done run and setup PA systems and some light mixing live while in the Army i never had to record that was above my pay grade. I would think a digital, considering that how most gear is set up to interface with a computer. But that's just a best guess. You would have to wait for one of the LTT Audio Yoda's to chime in for the truly best way.

8 hours ago, human317 said:

thanks lets say i wanted to have to best. what would it be 3.5 or usb im just curious

A good USB audio interface should run rings around the on-board both in terms of quality and flexibility.

10 hours ago, human317 said:

-Does a good quality XLR cable make a difference? 

Not enough for it to matter. If it's being moved regularly and un/plugged lots then a good pair of connectors (neutrik) will last a lot longer than cheap connectors.

10 hours ago, human317 said:

Because it's a USB interface rather than just a power supply, it will have a better ADC than the on-board. It also removes the need for the separate power supply.

If what you have works, and you are happy with it, then there's no reason to upgrade. If you're looking to upgrade then an interface would be the next step. The Focusrite Solo (which you linked) would be a good choice, although there are cheaper alternatives.