High End Gaming PC (Please check my parts)

Hi :)

I'm planning on building a new high end gaming PC for games like ARK, Far Cry 4, HITMAN, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Batman: Arkham Knight, etc. I also occasionally do some 3D rendering stuff.

I live in Switzerland and my intended budget is up to 2,000 CHF (approx. 1,980 USD or 2,600 CAD) which is intended for components and OS without peripherals. I mainly use between one and two full HD monitors but would be nice if it could handle more.

Here are the components I've looked at so far:

• Mainbord: ASUS ROG Strix Z270E Gaming (LGA 1151, Intel Z270, ATX)
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K boxed
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x 8GB, DDR4-3000, DIMM 288)
  • GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G
  • Case: be quiet! Silent Base 800 Window (Midi Tower case)
  • SSD: Samsung 850 EVO Basic (250GB, 2.5'', SATA)
  • HDD: WD Blue (2TB, 3.5'')
  • PSU: Corsair RM Series RM750x (750W)
  • CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 (16.3cm)
  • DVD/BD Drive: ASUS BluRay Combo BC-12D2HT bulk (black)

It would be nice if someone could double check my parts and/or suggest changes.

i would suggest getting asus maximus 8 hero and i7-6700K and gtx 1080

EDIT: you can also get os from kinguin for around £20 (not sure how many $ but definitely less)

First of all, the CPU cooler should come with thermal compound already on it. No need to get an extra tube. For 3D rendering you may want to look into getting 32GB. 16GB would be fine, but 32GB may be needed. PSU is tier 3. Something like the Corsair RMx 650W is only $10 and is Tier 1. Plus, it is full modular as appose to semi modular.

I assume by HD you mean you have two 1080p monitors. A gtx 1070 will serve those fine, although if you plan to upgrade to something like 1440p 144Hz then you may want to consider upping your budget slightly to fit in a gtx 1080.

7 minutes ago, ZaTrox said:

EDIT: you can also get os from kinguin for around £20 (not sure how many $ but definitely less)

Don't get your key from kinguin. It is best to get an official key then a used one that could expire at any moment.

9 minutes ago, ZaTrox said:

Thank you for your reply. The idea behind the newer mainboard and CPU is for it to be intel optane ready but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Great tip with kinguin thanks :)

4 minutes ago, mpsparrow said:

First of all, the CPU cooler should come with thermal compound already on it. No need to get an extra tube. For 3D rendering you may want to look into getting 32GB. 16GB would be fine, but 32GB may be needed. PSU is tier 3. Something like the Corsair RMx 650W is only $10 and is Tier 1. Plus, it is full modular as appose to semi modular.

I assume by HD you mean you have two 1080p monitors. A gtx 1070 will serve those fine, although if you plan to upgrade to something like 1440p 144Hz then you may want to consider upping your budget slightly to fit in a gtx 1080.

Don't get your key from kinguin. It is best to get an official key then a used one that could expire at any moment.

What? os keys can expire? really? can you link me to the website that says that cause i really don't believe you

13 minutes ago, ZaTrox said:

I'd still go with a 7700K. It will overclock further for only about $10 more.

3 minutes ago, ZaTrox said:

What? os keys can expire? really? can you link me to the website that says that cause i really don't believe you

I mean the kinguin keys can expire. You are buying used Windows keys from random people around the world. It is not worth the risk at all to buy a key from kinguin if you ask me. If you are spending as much as you are then go with the official Windows 10 from Microsoft.

4 minutes ago, mpsparrow said:

Thank you very much for your reply. I'm planning on upgrading the RAM to 32GB if needed. Do you think a 650W PSU would be sufficient if I wanted to upgrade to two 1070s in the future?

1 minute ago, RektSkrubs said:

I'd still go with a 7700K. It will overclock further for only about $10 more.

actually its around $45 more plus a newer motherboard which is also quite a bit 

6 minutes ago, ZaTrox said:

actually its around $45 more plus a newer motherboard which is also quite a bit 

The op is in Switzerland not the USA, so the price in US$ is irrelevant.

11 minutes ago, flup52 said:

Thank you very much for your reply. I'm planning on upgrading the RAM to 32GB if needed. Do you think a 650W PSU would be sufficient if I wanted to upgrade to two 1070s in the future?

Yes. PC parts are becoming much more efficient. Most companies recommend only getting a 500W PSU. A 650W will be plenty.

2 minutes ago, mpsparrow said:

Yes. PC parts are becoming much more efficient. Most companies recommend only getting a 500W PSU. A 650W will be plenty.

Ok thanks :)

11 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

The op is in Switzerland not the USA, so the price in US$ is irrelevant.

but the point of my comment is still the same, there will be a price difference between 6700K vs 7700K as well as Hero 8 vs Hero 9 and if he wants to save some money, he should go with 6700K and Hero 8 combo, if he doesn't care, he would go with 7700K, hero 9 and GTX 1080, but since he chose GTX 1070, it means that he somehow cares about money

EDIT: also i found on this site (https://en.toppreise.ch) that hero 8 is 199CHF while hero 9 is 258, this is quite a difference

Actually, few more recommendations for your build.

Get a better CPU cooler. Something like the be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 so that you can get some nice overclock on that CPU.

Your motherboard is overkill and high end. You can save some money by dropping it down to a lower Asus model (just make sure that it is an overclockable board).

Why the 3TB of hard drive storage? If you don't need that space right now, then just buy what you need. Storage is always dropping in price.

If you drop your 3TB hard drive to 1TB then you could get a 525GB Crucial MX300. Double your SSD space so that you can hold all your games on it.

27 minutes ago, mpsparrow said:

I mean the kinguin keys can expire. You are buying used Windows keys from random people around the world. It is not worth the risk at all to buy a key from kinguin if you ask me. If you are spending as much as you are then go with the official Windows 10 from Microsoft.

i think its safe tbh,

1 minute ago, ZaTrox said:

i think its safe tbh,

It may seem safe, but you take the risk of it expiring a few months after you buy it.

9 minutes ago, mpsparrow said:

It may seem safe, but you take the risk of it expiring a few months after you buy it.

lets just say that this is like gambling, sometimes you lose, sometimes you win

56 minutes ago, mpsparrow said:

Actually, few more recommendations for your build.

Get a better CPU cooler. Something like the be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 so that you can get some nice overclock on that CPU.

Your motherboard is overkill and high end. You can save some money by dropping it down to a lower Asus model (just make sure that it is an overclockable board).

Why the 3TB of hard drive storage? If you don't need that space right now, then just buy what you need. Storage is always dropping in price.

If you drop your 3TB hard drive to 1TB then you could get a 525GB Crucial MX300. Double your SSD space so that you can hold all your games on it.

Thanks for your continued support. I have edited the components according to your suggestions. It seems that I have too many games ;). I save them all on an HDD and they use about 1.2TB of disk space. I plan to cache the HDD with an Intel Optane M.2 drive once it reaches consumer markets in order to get better performance.

EDIT: I think I'll also go for the 750W RMx series PSU because it features 4x 6+2 pin connectors for future upgrades. 

1 hour ago, ZaTrox said:

but the point of my comment is still the same, there will be a price difference between 6700K vs 7700K as well as Hero 8 vs Hero 9 and if he wants to save some money, he should go with 6700K and Hero 8 combo, if he doesn't care, he would go with 7700K, hero 9 and GTX 1080, but since he chose GTX 1070, it means that he somehow cares about money

EDIT: also i found on this site (https://en.toppreise.ch) that hero 8 is 199CHF while hero 9 is 258, this is quite a difference

Thanks for your help. The reason I want the newer mainboard and CPU is the intel optane ready chipset. I plan to cache my HDD with an M.2 optane drive.

2 minutes ago, flup52 said:

Thanks for your help. The reason I want the newer mainboard and CPU is the intel optane ready chipset. I plan to cache my HDD with an M.2 optane drive.

as long as you want to pay extra for that one feature, then go with it. if you think that is not worth the cost, then don't, its your choice

1 minute ago, ZaTrox said:

as long as you want to pay extra for that one feature, then go with it. if you think that is not worth the cost, then don't, its your choice

I also think the new kaby lake processors are better suited for overclocking. But I think I'll go for a cheaper motherboard (ASUS ROG Strix Z270E).