Computer Performance Issues

Is it normal for an i5 6500 to bottleneck a gtx 1060 3gb ?

my system is maxing out usage on cpu at 90-100% at 1080p while gpu sits at 30-50%, my system specs are :

I5 6500

Asus H110M-A M.2 Motherboard

gigabyte windforce gtx 1060 3gb

8gb ddr4 2133MHz kingston hyperX fury (single stick)

500w evga 80plus

WD 1TB BLUE 

Windows 10 home edition 64bits 

is anyone having the same issue ? anyway of fixing it ?

3 minutes ago, JohnTheDawn said:

Is it normal for an i5 6500 to bottleneck a gtx 1060 3gb ?

my system is maxing out usage on cpu at 90-100% at 1080p while gpu sits at 30-50%, my system specs are :

I5 6500

Asus H110M-A M.2 Motherboard

gigabyte windforce gtx 1060 3gb

8gb ddr4 2133MHz kingston hyperX fury (single stick)

500w evga 80plus

WD 1TB BLUE 

Windows 10 home edition 64bits 

is anyone having the same issue ? anyway of fixing it ?

The only time that I have had an issue like this was when I built my first system. The solution was reapplying the thermal compound. For some reason the stock thermal compound that came with my CPU had cracked and hardened and was not cooling my CPU right.

im playing games like bf4, gta 5, overwatch and some other games.  The thing is the gpu is NEVER at 100/99% usage, this bothers me because systems like mine with almost the exact specs get way more better performance.

@Undertaker225

im playing games like bf4, gta 5, overwatch and some other games.  The thing is the gpu is NEVER at 100/99% usage, this bothers me because systems like mine with almost the exact specs get way more better performance.

also im not sure if thats the issues about the stock intel fan, cos i am running the stock intel fan.  Ill look into it 

1 minute ago, JohnTheDawn said:

@Undertaker225

also im not sure if thats the issues about the stock intel fan, cos i am running the stock intel fan.  Ill look into it 

I can almost guarantee you that it's not the intel fan. I have an i5-4440 with a stock intel fan. Never had any problems once I re-applied the thermal paste.

1. what resolution are you playing on? 1080p? 1440? 4k?

2. What is the temperature of the CPU, this could indicate if it is a cooling problem. No, I don't believe it's a stock fan issue unless the fan is not spinning (which is something to check for).

@undertaker225 also the cpu isnt running very hot 50-60ish most of the time while heavy gaming, Im really not sure, This is really bothering me cos i have spent 500$ upgrading my pc and its not meeting the performance it should

@Undertaker225 

also the cpu isnt running very hot 50-60ish most of the time while heavy gaming, Im really not sure, This is really bothering me cos i have spent 500$ upgrading my pc and its not meeting the performance it should, also im playing on 1080p

I'm using i5 3570 + deepcool gammax 400 (max 55C on load) and rx480, there is no bottlenecks at all until now, even in doom/bf4/witcher playing in high-ultra at 1080p. Maybe its your processor heating up or something like that?

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

@Undertaker225 

also the cpu isnt running very hot 50-60ish most of the time while heavy gaming, Im really not sure, This is really bothering me cos i have spent 500$ upgrading my pc and its not meeting the performance it should, also im playing on 1080p

That is very strange, could be a defect in the CPU itself, or perhaps a bent pin in the socket. If temps are not the issue and the CPU is literally just being overloaded then this could mean one of two things. Either A.) The CPU is handling loads that the 1060 should, or B.) There is an unknown issue with the CPU. Beyond that, without having the system in front of me, it's hard to tell.

1 minute ago, nicobombai said:

I'm using i5 3570 + deepcool gammax 400 (max 55C on load) and rx480, there is no bottlenecks at all until now, even in doom/bf4/witcher playing in high-ultra at 1080p. Maybe its your processor heating up or something like that?

According to him, heat is not an issue, so you have to rule that out.

2 minutes ago, JohnTheDawn said:

@nicobombaiits not overheating because its sitting around 50-60 but im not sure if thats overheating

Can you run Firestrike so we can get an accurate depiction of what we are dealing with?

@nicobombaiits not overheating because its sitting around 50-60 but im not sure if thats overheating

1 minute ago, Undertaker225 said:

According to him, heat is not an issue, so you have to rule that out.

Ah then, i will sit back and watch until someone comes up with a solution. This is new to me. Theory wise there shouldn't be a bottleneck unless he starts playing 1440p with ultra settings..

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

@Undertaker225right now i forwarded an rma for my gpu and im sending it tomorrow, and also my friend is coming with his 750ti tomorrow so i can test it.  I have contacted intel with a ticket.

1 minute ago, nicobombai said:

Ah then, i will sit back and watch until someone comes up with a solution. This is new to me. Theory wise there shouldn't be a bottleneck unless he starts playing 1440p with ultra settings..

That is why I want him to run FireStrike so that we can see if there really is just an issue with the CPU itself.

@Undertaker225right now i forwarded an rma for my gpu and im sending it tomorrow, and also my friend is coming with his 750ti tomorrow so i can test it.  I have contacted intel with a ticket.

Do you really think that the issue is with the GPU? It seems to be a CPU bottleneck to me, but the issue would be figuring out why.

@Undertaker225nvm im gonna run the free fire strike and ill be back with the results.

Please update me later on the info. Want to see the results :D