Audio drivers for Realtek ALC1150 for linux

pretty much whats in the title, i just can't seem to wrap my head around how to get the drivers installed correctly. or maybe they already are installed but i just don't get the audio working for some reason. its for the asus z170 pro gaming motherboard. i never really had to deal with linux drivers before so im a noob when it comes to this. tried googling and only found other people complaining about it without a solution. appearantly the Realtek ALC1150 has bad linux support.

Drivers aren't really a thing in Linux, at least not in the sense of a Windows driver. It's more of control files and dependencies. Most things that work magically in Windows need you to go through what I affectionately refer to as "dependency hell". I beleive the ALSA drivers work well with realtek stuff, I would try that.

which linux distro & kernel are you using? I'm seeing a forum post that suggests you need at least kernel 4.2

theres also this on the debian wiki which i would do last and only if i was using a kernel as old as debians

https://wiki.debian.org/ALSA#Alternative_Method

Are you using Nvidia drivers? you sound might be outputting through HDMI, on ubuntu you can fix this through the settings GUI

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

which linux distro & kernel are you using? I'm seeing a forum post that suggests you need at least kernel 4.2

theres also this on the debian wiki which i would do last and only if i was using a kernel as old as debians

https://wiki.debian.org/ALSA#Alternative_Method

Are you using Nvidia drivers? you sound might be outputting through HDMI, on ubuntu you can fix this through the settings GUI

no running integrated graphics, im running custom debian build with gnome desktop. its very close to the latest debian release. Kernel 4.6, Gnome 3.20.2.

4 minutes ago, ImperialSteele said:

Drivers aren't really a thing in Linux, at least not in the sense of a Windows driver. It's more of control files and dependencies. Most things that work magically in Windows need you to go through what I affectionately refer to as "dependency hell". I beleive the ALSA drivers work well with realtek stuff, I would try that.

thanks will look into it. hopefully i can walk to dependency hell and back :P 

41 minutes ago, tlink said:

no running integrated graphics, im running custom debian build with gnome desktop. its very close to the latest debian release. Kernel 4.6, Gnome 3.20.2.

thanks will look into it. hopefully i can walk to dependency hell and back :P 

Ok then have a look at the Debian wiki link I gave you its for Realtek drivers

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

10 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Ok then have a look at the Debian wiki link I gave you its for Realtek drivers

that fixxed it, thanks!