Smaller 'flagship' droids

CtrlAltELITE
Go to solution Solved by Aniallation,
On 1/13/2017 at 7:21 PM, CtrlAltELITE said:

I like the Huawei's. My current phone is a 5" Huawei Honor 6, which I got on Amazon UK just over 2 years ago. Honestly though I'm looking to downsize not upsize so the newer, bigger one is completely useless to me. I am white but have pretty small hands, 5" is useable but I really need something which is easier to use one handed whilst at work.

I share your confusion about the constantly increasing size of phones, with full blown 7"+ tablets getting cheaper and cheaper I really don't get why people want there phones to be getting that large too when you can just get a small useable phone for day to day use and a large unwieldy tablet to lie in bed watching movies on.

Im really split at the moment between paying a premium to go for the xperia x compact, which I do really like, or a more obscure brand like the Cat S40, or sacrifice on specs and go for the galaxy mini (or a3, whatever its called now) or the new smaller LG spirit

The X Compact is not bad. Snapdragon 650 has great performance for what it is. Outside the Android spectrum though, the iPhone SE is also a really good phone. Great performance and amazing battery life, and is the smallest phone on the market so you're not going to get much better in terms of one-handed use.

The Galaxy A3 2016 is gorgeous in person, but a Snapdragon 410 nowadays is a bit lacking. The 2017 version has a more powerful CPU but IMO they kinda ruined the design.

As for lower-end models like the S40 and LG Spirit, I wouldn't touch an Android phone with only 1GB of RAM in 2017.

Hey folks

So I find myself in need of a new phone since the USB port on my 2 year old Huawei has gone. I've been using a 5" phone for the last 2 years and a 3.5" phone before that. I would like to go back to a slightly smaller handset (4-5") but really am not sure of the options. Currently the only phone I am looking at is the Sony Xperia X compact but the new one is a bit of a downer (no waterproofing). Just wondering if anyone could recommend me any other smaller flagship spec phones? Aiming for <GB£400.

Cheers
CAE

PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

IoT:

Router: Netgear D7000 Nighthawk

NAS: Synology DS218j, 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf

Media Accelerator: Nvidia Shield via Plex

Phone: Sony Xperia X Compact

at £400(£399.99 to be exact) you can get a 64gb version of the OnePlus 3T. Though the screen would be too big for what you want which is a shame :P 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

29 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

at £400(£399.99 to be exact) you can get a 64gb version of the OnePlus 3T. Though the screen would be too big for what you want which is a shame :P 

Yeah screw that. 5" is just unnecessarily large for me. Would much rather something thats easier to fit in my pocket and operate comfortably with one hand. Only being able to reach my thumb 3/4ths of the way up my screen on my current phone drives me nuts.

PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

IoT:

On 1/11/2017 at 9:11 AM, RKRiley said:

It's so fucking stupid how 5.5" is becoming the "standard size" and you're pretty much forced to go with it if you want something good. 

"Rawr XD"

Huawei Honor 8 if you're able to stretch to 5.2" (available on Amazon UK), but if you must stick with 5" try to get your hands on a Lenovo Zuk Z2. You'll probably have to order one in, as the only place really still marketing <5.5" flagships is Asia where we physically can't fit a 5.5" phone in our hands. 

"Rawr XD"

16 hours ago, Aniallation said:

Huawei Honor 8 if you're able to stretch to 5.2" (available on Amazon UK), but if you must stick with 5" try to get your hands on a Lenovo Zuk Z2. You'll probably have to order one in, as the only place really still marketing <5.5" flagships is Asia where we physically can't fit a 5.5" phone in our hands. 

I like the Huawei's. My current phone is a 5" Huawei Honor 6, which I got on Amazon UK just over 2 years ago. Honestly though I'm looking to downsize not upsize so the newer, bigger one is completely useless to me. I am white but have pretty small hands, 5" is useable but I really need something which is easier to use one handed whilst at work.

I share your confusion about the constantly increasing size of phones, with full blown 7"+ tablets getting cheaper and cheaper I really don't get why people want there phones to be getting that large too when you can just get a small useable phone for day to day use and a large unwieldy tablet to lie in bed watching movies on.

Im really split at the moment between paying a premium to go for the xperia x compact, which I do really like, or a more obscure brand like the Cat S40, or sacrifice on specs and go for the galaxy mini (or a3, whatever its called now) or the new smaller LG spirit

PC:

IoT:

On 1/13/2017 at 7:21 PM, CtrlAltELITE said:

The X Compact is not bad. Snapdragon 650 has great performance for what it is. Outside the Android spectrum though, the iPhone SE is also a really good phone. Great performance and amazing battery life, and is the smallest phone on the market so you're not going to get much better in terms of one-handed use.

The Galaxy A3 2016 is gorgeous in person, but a Snapdragon 410 nowadays is a bit lacking. The 2017 version has a more powerful CPU but IMO they kinda ruined the design.

As for lower-end models like the S40 and LG Spirit, I wouldn't touch an Android phone with only 1GB of RAM in 2017.

"Rawr XD"

Cheers for the responses @Aniallation . Bought myself a Xperia X Compact on Tuesday, £300 well spent. :)

PC:

IoT: