FANS

MorganO

i want to create positive pressure, i run my  RADIATOR (EXHAUST) fans at the minimum speed they run at. 99% they are at ~500rpm

would it be worth getting 3 120mm fans to replace the 2 140mm fans i have and removed the 140 in the rear? if so what fans would be the best fans?

cant reverse the radiator fans as its not filtered up there

many thanks

fan speeds.png

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

someone must know :P?

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

5 hours ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

someone must know :P?

Be more patient--this is a forum and not a live chat. It hasn't even been an hour before you bumped the thread.

Please list your specs.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Be more patient--this is a forum and not a live chat. It hasn't even been an hour before you bumped the thread.

Please list your specs.

CPU:  Intel i7-3930k 

Cooling: Fractal Design S36

MOBO: Asus P9X79 PRO 

RAM: 16GB DDR3 2400MHZ DOMINATOR PLATINUM 

GPU: GTX 770 2GB 

PSU: CORSAIR CX750M

Boot: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo

Storage: 1TB SSHD Seagate / 500GB HDD 7200rpm Seagate 

CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Evolve TG 

Fans are

3x140mm PH-F140SP fans2(intake) 1 (exhaust)

3x120mm fractal GP120 fans exhaust

11 hours ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

Fans are

3x140mm PH-F140SP fans2(intake) 1 (exhaust)

3x120mm fractal GP120 fans exhaust

Are you not satisfied with your current cooling? They should be plenty already.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

8 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Are you not satisfied with your current cooling? They should be plenty already.

dust

1 minute ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

dust

If you want to reduce dust, filter your intakes. 

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

If you want to reduce dust, filter your intakes. 

all relevant intakes are filtered, i just have more fans exhausting air vs intaking air and i want to create positive pressure scenario

Just now, KOMTechAndGaming said:

all relevant intakes are filtered, i just have more fans exhausting air vs intaking air and i want to create positive pressure scenario

If you have more exhaust than intake, air can be pulled in through unfiltered openings. Either lower the speed of your exhausts or increase the speed of your intakes.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

If you have more exhaust than intake, air can be pulled in through unfiltered openings. Either lower the speed of your exhausts or increase the speed of your intakes.

they are already at the min(exhaust) and max intake speeds, well exhaust is at atleast at 500rpm for each fan

4 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

they are already at the min(exhaust) and max intake speeds, well exhaust is at atleast at 500rpm for each fan

Is the rear fan at 500rpm?

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

Is the rear fan at 500rpm?

no, i cant get it to run any slower than 1200rpm

im thinking of replacing the 2 140s i have in the front with 3x 120 fans and running them at high speeds,

removing the rear 140 fan 

and keeping my 3x120 radiator fans at the 500rpm that they are at most of the time, would this produce positive pressure?

1 minute ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

no, i cant get it to run any slower than 1200rpm

What header are you powering the rear fan from?

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

What header are you powering the rear fan from?

PWM splitter that came from my case which goes to CHA_FAN3

Just now, KOMTechAndGaming said:

PWM splitter that came from my case which goes to CHA_FAN3

CHA_FAN3 doesn't provide pwm but instead a 5v signal and doesn't allow for any form of control.

The hub that comes with the case should be plugged into the CPU_FAN header for pwm.

16 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

CHA_FAN3 doesn't provide pwm but instead a 5v signal and doesn't allow for any form of control.

The hub that comes with the case should be plugged into the CPU_FAN header for pwm.

Then i cant individual control the radiator fans :/

7 hours ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

Then i cant individual control the radiator fans :/

You only have the cpu_fan header and the cpu_opt which mirrors the same signal. The rest of the motherboard headers are just 5v. If you need control for the rad fans, you can use the cpu_fan header for them and just run your case fans at ~40% off the other headers. 

SpeedFan might offer separate controls to cpu_fan and cpu_opt but that's up to you to experiment with.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

You only have the cpu_fan header and the cpu_opt which mirrors the same signal. The rest of the motherboard headers are just 5v. If you need control for the rad fans, you can use the cpu_fan header for them and just run your case fans at ~40% off the other headers. 

SpeedFan might offer separate controls to cpu_fan and cpu_opt but that's up to you to experiment with.

my the s36 pump is attatched the cpu fan and seems to run the same speed regardless what setting i use for CPU_OPT

so the fact the case will run at maxium speed regardless now(for arguments sake if you get what i mean)

since i have 3 120 fans running exhaust at 500rpm 

would it create postive pressure if i put 3x120 mm (replacing the 2x 140mm fans in the front) that run at 1200rpm

and i removed the rear 140 exhaust fan

There's no need to get new fans if your problem is dust. Just run your rear fan at a lower speed.

3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

There's no need to get new fans if your problem is dust. Just run your rear fan at a lower speed.

i know there would be some way to sort it, (i dont have to pay for the fans)

would my plan work to create positive pressure?

10 hours ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

i know there would be some way to sort it, (i dont have to pay for the fans)

would my plan work to create positive pressure?

Lowering the rear fan speed should work. Removing it altogether and not having anything in the rear means and unfiltered opening for air to be pulled in by the top exhausts.

Swapping out 2x140mm's for 3x120mm's wouldn't make much of a difference without an increase of noise if you want more airflow.

3 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Lowering the rear fan speed should work. Removing it altogether and not having anything in the rear means and unfiltered opening for air to be pulled in by the top exhausts.

Swapping out 2x140mm's for 3x120mm's wouldn't make much of a difference without an increase of noise if you want more airflow.

I CANT change the rear fan speed, and this doesn't answer my question, would 3 faster 120 rpm fans bring more air in than 3 slow spinning fans can exhaust?

7 hours ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

this doesn't answer my question

Reread my previous post.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

Reread my previous post.

My bad, Im not bothered by noise,(headphone user) and my gpu is the loudest computer

so switching to 3 intake fans would increase airflow and positive pressure albeit being louder?

2 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

My bad, Im not bothered by noise,(headphone user) and my gpu is the loudest computer

so switching to 3 intake fans would increase airflow and positive pressure albeit being louder?

Higher rpm/performance fans will pull in more air. That being said, this is still guesswork when it comes to figuring out how to reduce dust buildup. 

If you're having dust problems and don't want to lower the rear fan speed for some reason, you should first get some incense sticks to find out where unfiltered air is coming in from before decide on replacing fans. 

You should also check around the front panel since I remember from working with the case that there may have been an unfiltered gap at the top depending on which side the fans are mounted on the case.