Maximus IX Hero USB Header 2.0/3.0

Omie

So according to the specs: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-IX-HERO/specifications/

The Maximus IX Hero comes with only 1x3.0 USB header and 1x2.0 USB header on the mid-board.

My build involves an H115i and an Enthoo Luxe case. I know that I'm able to plug the Corsair Link cable for the H115i into my motherboard's USB 2.0 header. Also, I can plug my case's front panel ports into my motherboards USB 3.0 header.

The problem is that now I'm left with no mid-board USB 2.0/3.0 headers and I was wondering if there are any other accessories which utilize a mobo's mid-board USB 2.0/3.0 headers. I want to know this because I want to find out what kinds of items I'll be potentially missing out on by buying this board.

Get the NZXT Internal USB Hub. Gives you 3 USB headers and 2 regular USB 2.0 ports. I have the original which is just a PCB, they have a new version that looks nicer.

Edit: here's a link. https://www.nzxt.com/product-overview/internal-usb-hub

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

7 minutes ago, DELTAprime said:

Get the NZXT Internal USB Hub. Gives you 3 USB headers and 2 regular USB 2.0 ports. I have the original which is just a PCB, they have a new version that looks nicer.

Edit: here's a link. https://www.nzxt.com/product-overview/internal-usb-hub

That's a good option, but I just wanted to know what kinds of accessories can utilize USB2.0/3.0 internal mobo headers besides corsair link and a case's front panel ports.

1 minute ago, Omie said:

That's a good option, but I just wanted to know what kinds of accessories can utilize USB2.0/3.0 internal mobo headers besides corsair link and a case's front panel ports.

AFAIK nothing uses USB 3.0 headers besides front panels. There are tons of things that use 2.0 tho. PSU's, AIO's, Lighting kits, front panels. It's a pain that MB manufactures are dumping 2.0 headers.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

7 minutes ago, DELTAprime said:

AFAIK nothing uses USB 3.0 headers besides front panels. There are tons of things that use 2.0 tho. PSU's, AIO's, Lighting kits, front panels. It's a pain that MB manufactures are dumping 2.0 headers.

Hmm PSU's? What do they need it for? To just simply be able to power on? Cause I have an EVGA G2 850W PSU.

2 minutes ago, Omie said:

Hmm PSU's? What do they need it for? To just simply be able to power on? Cause I have an EVGA G2 850W PSU.

Every Corsair PSU with the letter "i" on the end, it gives diagnostics. You do realise that in addition to the USB 3.0 header you need two USB 2.0 headers for your build? One for the case front panel and one for the AIO. You do not have enough headers on the board to allow everything to work. I'm getting that same board as you, I have investigated all the options.

Big oversight on Asus's part imo. I expect some kind of adaptor in the coming weeks but this should have been ready a long time ago. Chicken and egg and all that.

1 minute ago, DELTAprime said:

Every Corsair PSU with the letter "i" on the end, it gives diagnostics. You do realise that in addition to the USB 3.0 header you need two USB 2.0 headers for your build? One for the case front panel and one for the AIO. You do not have enough headers on the board to allow everything to work. I'm getting that same board as you, I have investigated all the options.

Wait how? The case front panel of the Enthoo luxe requires 1x 3.0 header connection and for my H115i it requires a connection to a USB 2.0 header for Corsair Link.

2 minutes ago, Omie said:

Wait how? The case front panel of the Enthoo luxe requires 1x 3.0 header connection and for my H115i it requires a connection to a USB 2.0 header for Corsair Link.

No it requires a USB 3.0 and a USB 2.0, that's how front headers work.

2 minutes ago, DELTAprime said:

No it requires a USB 3.0 and a USB 2.0, that's how front headers work.

But the case comes with a USB 3.0 cable which plugs into the motherboard's USB 3.0 header and that's all is required for the front panel of the case to work, so I'm like really confused on why it would require a USB 2.0 and 3.0 header.

Just now, Omie said:

But the case comes with a USB 3.0 cable which plugs into the motherboard's USB 3.0 header and that's all is required for the front panel of the case to work, so I'm like really confused on why it would require a USB 2.0 and 3.0 header.

I looked up the case, it has both USB 2.0 and 3.0 on the front header, you don't send the 2.0 ports signal down the 3.0 cable, each generation has it's own cable.

9 minutes ago, DELTAprime said:

I looked up the case, it has both USB 2.0 and 3.0 on the front header, you don't send the 2.0 ports signal down the 3.0 cable, each generation has it's own cable.

Oh, so basically the case comes with a USB 3.0 cable for the USB 3.0 ports and also a USB 2.0 cable for the USB 2.0 ports on the front panel?

1 minute ago, Omie said:

Oh, so basically the case comes with a USB 3.0 cable for the USB 3.0 ports and also a USB 2.0 cable for the USB 2.0 ports on the front panel?

Yep, even says it in the case specs.

4 minutes ago, DELTAprime said:

Yep, even says it in the case specs.

Dang. So basically I would need to have a mobo with 3 internal USB 2.0 Headers right? Because the case comes with 2xUSB 2.0 connectors, one for each port on the front panel?

Yes, or you can just get the NZXT USB hub I linked you. That will give you enough to run both your AIO and all your USB ports. Just hide it in the bottom of your case and it will do the job.

Yes, or you can just get the NZXT USB hub I linked you. That will give you enough to run both your AIO and all your USB ports. Just hide it in the bottom of your case and it will do the job.

Ok thanks. I'm unfamiliar with how to install it though. Like I know to connect the 2 USB 2.0 cables from the case into the hub, but how is that hub connected to the motherboard? Or is it no connected at all and just gives power so the USB ports on the front panel can be used?

Also, is there a cheaper usb hub I can buy? It's a little too pricey for me.

The white-ish coloured header on the hub plugs into the motherboards USB 2.0 header. Then you plug your front panel and your AIO into the gray-ish coloured 2.0 headers. Connect a power cable as the instructions will inform you and your done. No drivers or software to install or anything. Anyway glad I could help you. I'm off to bed. Enjoy your build!

The white-ish coloured header on the hub plugs into the motherboards USB 2.0 header. Then you plug your front panel and your AIO into the gray-ish coloured 2.0 headers. Connect a power cable as the instructions will inform you and your done. No drivers or software to install or anything. Anyway glad I could help you. I'm off to bed. Enjoy your build!

Oh ok thanks. I guess I'll think about the hub. I mean, the only bad thing will be that I won't be able to use the USB 2.0 ports on the front panel. But then again, I think two USB 3.0 ports on the front will be enough for me anyways.

Have a goodnight though!

12 hours ago, DELTAprime said:

Hey, so it turns out that the IX Hero board actually has 2 internal USB 2.0 headers. The 2nd header is actually called "ROG_EXT" which doubles as a USB 2.0 header.

I still got the hub since I have 2 USB 2.0 front panel connectors and my corsair link USB for my AIO, but regardless, just wanted to let you know.

EDIT: Actually I'm not sure now. I just saw that the "ROG_EXT" headed has 8 pins and not 10-1 pins like a regular USB 2.0 header.

EDIT 2: Alright now I'm officially super confused. Upon reading the specifications of the board I come across this: 

"supports additional 2 USB 2.0 ports [via ROG_EXT header]"

What does this really mean? I'm like so confused because you can't even plug a USB 2.0 connector into the ROG_EXT due to the ROG_EXT being 8 pin and the USB 2.0 connector being 10-1 pin.

Here is a pic of what I'm talking about, this is the Maximus IX Hero mobo as well: http://m.imgur.com/MFCkY16