Supermicro Case and Motherboard Fan Ramping

Hello,

So I have a Supermicro MBD-X10SRH-CLN4F-O motherboard installed in a CSE-743T-665B 4 U case, both are from Supermicro. The issue that is currently bothering me is the fans in the case ramping up to near max speed (about 6k RPM) and then dropping back to idle speeds. It does this about every 5 seconds and the RPM spike lasts for about 3-4 seconds. I used IPMI and played around with its fan control settings and it didn't change the ramping issue. I also have a Noctua NH-D9DX i4 3U 92mm with a much slower, 92mm fan for the CPU. The loud included server fans are the only other fans aside from the CPU cooler. The included fans are the ones ramping up their RPM. Supermicro has a weird way of managing fan speeds, it uses RPM thresholds and I beleive the Noctua fan drops below a specific threshold that the other fans attempt to compensate for (see attached images). I just want the server to be quiet, or even just loud but consistent, the ramping is seriously annoying. Any body have any ideas?

Thanks,

Kellen

2016-12-26 14_14_16-https___192.168.2.130_cgi_url_redirect.cgi_url_name=mainmenu.png

2016-12-26 14_13_23-https___192.168.2.130_cgi_url_redirect.cgi_url_name=mainmenu.png

2 minutes ago, thegingertator said:

-snip-

I'm assuming that Fan 5 is your CPU fan?

If so, it's triggering the fan min limit warning on the supermicro motherboard. I think the min speed is 500RPM. It's thinking the fan is failing so it's ramping up the other case fans to max speeds to compensate.

Just now, scottyseng said:

I'm assuming that Fan 5 is your CPU fan?

If so, it's triggering the fan min limit warning on the supermicro motherboard. I think the min speed is 500RPM. It's thinking the fan is failing so it's ramping up the other case fans to max speeds to compensate.

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking. Thank you for making me feel less crazy. Is there an easy way to tell the Noctua to spin at a higher RPM.

Just now, thegingertator said:

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking. Thank you for making me feel less crazy. Is there an easy way to tell the Noctua to spin at a higher RPM.

Hmm, if you go into the BIOS for the CPU fan, I believe the default fan profile should be Standard (50%+). You might need to try the other profiles...

It's strange though, even at the default of 50% speed, it should still be over the 500RPM min speed.

Unless your motherboard has a different fan profile to my supermicro board.

6 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Hmm, if you go into the BIOS for the CPU fan, I believe the default fan profile should be Standard (50%+). You might need to try the other profiles...

It's strange though, even at the default of 50% speed, it should still be over the 500RPM min speed.

Unless your motherboard has a different fan profile to my supermicro board.

There are no settings in the BIOS to adjust any fan settings.

18 minutes ago, thegingertator said:

There are no settings in the BIOS to adjust any fan settings.

Hmm, yeah, according to the manual, IPMI handles the fan speeds. Sadly I don't have much experience with IPMI so I can't help you much there.

Just now, scottyseng said:

Hmm, yeah, according to the manual, IPMI handles the fan speeds. Sadly I don't have much experience with IPMI so I can't help you much there.

Thanks. Yeah IPMI is kind of annoying to deal with sometimes. 

Just now, thegingertator said:

Thanks. Yeah IPMI is kind of annoying to deal with sometimes. 

Yeah, it sucks even more when you bought the motherboard without IPMI (I didn't know what the -F in the motherboard name was for), and the lowest fan speed is 50%...with the stock fans, that's pretty loud. You need IPMI to make them slower...

Good luck though.