Need some help! looking at buying a blue coat system. I have questions before I buy.

Go to solution Solved by Mornincupofhate,

Gross. Don't buy that dysfunctional piece of crap.

Build a system for like 3/4 that cost, slap pfsense and snort on it, and there you go my friend.

I was looking into buying a old av810-b blue coat system. The question, I have is can I still use it in today's age? I was going to use it with a pfsense build to add more protection. I am doing in jan or feb. it's age can it still be used to protect me from crap in today's world. I think this machines like 8-10 years old. So that why, I ask these questions. Also is 250$ a good price for this blue coat system?

If you think about a pfsense system and want more funktions to keep the nasty stuff out take a look at the sophos xg home

Yeah I'm going to go with the others and say that blue coat sucks. Go with pfsense or the Edgerouter Lite

My native language is C++

2 hours ago, tt2468 said:

Yeah I'm going to go with the others and say that blue coat sucks. Go with pfsense or the Edgerouter Lite

Why does blue coat suck?

@Talkativetech Make sure you get something decent. I spend $70 on a watchguard X700 and it wasn't the best idea. if you do buy anything (Whether it is from Blue Coat or Watchguard) make sure there is at least a tutorial or two on installing pfsense on it. No one had a tutorial on a X700 so I spent like 12 hours trying to figure it out.

Breaking things 1 day at a time

8 hours ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

@Talkativetech Make sure you get something decent. I spend $70 on a watchguard X700 and it wasn't the best idea. if you do buy anything (Whether it is from Blue Coat or Watchguard) make sure there is at least a tutorial or two on installing pfsense on it. No one had a tutorial on a X700 so I spent like 12 hours trying to figure it out.

what! I can download pfsence on this machine? really!?

11 hours ago, Talkativetech said:

what! I can download pfsence on this machine? really!?

Possibly. You need some gear though. I had to buy a Compact Flash card and reader. If you want pfsense get WatchGuard or something from Pfsense. Im pretty sure almost all watchguard products support it

It will probably be loud af so keep that in mind too

23 hours ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Possibly. You need some gear though. I had to buy a Compact Flash card and reader. If you want pfsense get WatchGuard or something from Pfsense. Im pretty sure almost all watchguard products support it

It will probably be loud af so keep that in mind too

Thanks decided to just use pfsense.

1 hour ago, Talkativetech said:

Thanks decided to just use pfsense.

Cool. Let me know if you need any help. I don't know much but I know a little bit.

'Dexter_Kane' on the Level1Techs forum (The new TekSyndicate forum run by Wendel) https://forum.level1techs.com/

knows alot about PfSense. Hit him up on there.

(I think he is still on there)

1 minute ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Cool. Let me know if you need any help. I don't know much but I know a little bit.

'Dexter_Kane' on the Level1Techs forum (The new TekSyndicate forum run by Wendel) https://forum.level1techs.com/

knows alot about PfSense. Hit him up on there.

(I think he is still on there)

Thanks I shore will Dude. I will be building it around Jan.

7 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

My favourite part was how there was no explanation whatsoever on why Blue Coat sucks. 10/10

Weird I agree completely. I was wondering about that LMAO!