1070 Runing at Base Core Clock While Folding

I just started folding with a new 1070 that I upgraded to a couple days ago (running driver v.373.xx).  Things have been going well and I'm getting some nice PPD, especially compared to my old card.  

However, the card is running at the stock core clock while folding (1506MHz) and will not boost to the ~1800MHz it will during games.  Setting a core clock offset in Afterburner won't raise the core clock while folding either (despite applying a +200MHz offset, it remains at 1506MHz). 

The "Tips, Tricks and FAQ" sticky mentions that for Maxwell cards, they will have a tendency to stay in the P2 power state when folding instead of switching to the P3 state.  I know that post is for Maxwell cards and the1070 is Pascal, but I wasn't sure if the two were still similar in regards to the power state problem.  Nor do I know if the recommendation for the Maxwell cards would also work/apply to the Pascal cards.

Is anyone else folding with a 1070 (or other 10-series card) and have the same issue with core clock?  I'm very happy with the improvement I'm already getting with the base clock alone and wouldn't be disappointed leaving it at the base clock.  However, I can't help but feel I'm leaving some performance on the table and would still like to improve it if possible.  Any help or insight would be appreciated.  Thanks!  

It´s a bug because folding ist exactly a high priority on nvidias list. I have the same problem too with my 1070.

5 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

Just curious, what PPD are you getting? I wanna see if it's near a 970 :P

~700.000

14 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

Oh alright. Do you think a 970 at 1550 MHz could produce those numbers? :P

A 970 will produce 361000 PPD on average. Any kind of overclocking will make this number smaller, because it will cause the card to fail work units.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

I have a 1060 and i have this problem sometimes. Just open up the protein viewer then minimize it.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

On 12/3/2016 at 3:55 AM, Teddy07 said:

It´s a bug because folding ist exactly a high priority on nvidias list. I have the same problem too with my 1070.

It's nice to hear it's not just me, but also unfortunate at the same time. 

On 12/3/2016 at 5:55 AM, TheRandomness said:

Just curious, what PPD are you getting? I wanna see if it's near a 970 :P

It varies based on the specific work unit but I've seen PPD in the 600k's and 700k's.  

2 hours ago, sazrocks said:

I have a 1060 and i have this problem sometimes. Just open up the protein viewer then minimize it.

That's a neat idea.  I'll have to try that and see if it helps. 

Thanks everyone!

5 minutes ago, Zoravar said:
2 hours ago, sazrocks said:

That's a neat idea.  I'll have to try that and see if it helps. 

Just a follow-up:  That trick did work and the card is boosting on its own. 

9 minutes ago, Zoravar said:

Just a follow-up:  That trick did work and the card is boosting on its own. 

Yeah as far as I can tell, with certain WU's the "no load limit" is being triggered (despite the card being pinned at 100%...), and giving it a "real" load of the protein viewer, it deactivates the no load limit and pushes the card into a higher p-state. Most WU's don't seem to require doing this, but every few days I'll get one that does.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

3 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

Most WU's don't seem to require doing this, but every few days I'll get one that does.

It interesting that it seems to be by work unit.  I'm more of a "set it and forget it" guy when it comes to folding so I haven't paid attention to "deep hardware monitoring" on every work unit that comes through.  I just noticed that the first one I tried on the new card didn't seem to be boosting.  I'll have to keep an eye on the next few work units just to see what's happening on the back end. 

I have a RX 480 and it turbos to it's boost clock just fine I wonder does the 900 series of cards go to their turbo boos when folding because the only Nvidia cards I have are a GTX 650ti and a GTX 950 and I havn't folded with the GTX 950 yet