Acylic/Plexiglass Motherboard Tray Good or Bad?

TravisB

Hello,

Is ok to use Acrylic/Plexiglass to create a motherboard tray? I am wanting to find the cheapest way of making a custom motherboard.

Thanks.

Plexiglass is expencive stuff... If you want to go cheap, use wood/MDF. Also, I doubt you can make a motherboard out of plexi glass... Might be able to make a motherboard tray, but a mobo...

2 minutes ago, TravisB said:

I am wanting to find the cheapest way of making a custom motherboard.

1 minute ago, TravisB said:

Hello,

Is ok to use Acrylic/Plexiglass to create a motherboard tray? I am wanting to find the cheapest way of making a custom motherboard.

Thanks.

It is, although drilling holes will be difficult unless you have a drill press or CNC.

The mounting holes on the motherboard double as grounding points. It's not necessarily common but making the tray out of a non-conductive material can still cause weird issues.

1 minute ago, Naeaes said:

The mounting holes on the motherboard double as grounding points. It's not necessarily common but making the tray out of a non-conductive material can still cause weird issues.

googles first servers were held together with cardboard & rubber bands

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

4 minutes ago, QueenDemetria said:

It is, although drilling holes will be difficult unless you have a drill press or CNC.

Oh, and the cheapest way would be to use wood.

If you do use plexi or acrylic, I recommend counter-sinking the screws on the back side of the plexi, since its stronger and keeps the screw from backing out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2016 at 3:24 AM, Naeaes said:

wrong. There is a common copper grounding layer inside the motherboard. It is not like the dc system of a car at all.