Newbie introduction

Krik00
Go to solution Solved by trag1c,

As far as being used in industry pascal would probably be useless but as with any programming it teaches logical problem solving. Which seems to be a rarity these days however it is a very important skill for anyone. Also learning a programming language opens up the door for learning more languages at an accelerated rate. This is the best part because it will help you learn languages that are useful to your industry.

At school, we are learning Pascal language. As a future (possible) IT guy, can it help me? Or is it just useless language? What would be better for me to learn in my spare time?

never heard of it, i would leard C or Java instead

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

As far as being used in industry pascal would probably be useless but as with any programming it teaches logical problem solving. Which seems to be a rarity these days however it is a very important skill for anyone. Also learning a programming language opens up the door for learning more languages at an accelerated rate. This is the best part because it will help you learn languages that are useful to your industry.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Never heard of Pascal..

What you should learn depends on what you want to do..

If you want to manage Windows environments, Powershell is the way to go.

C can´t hurt either.

Please quote me in any answers to my posts, so that I can read them easily and don´t forget about them. Thanks!

I love spending my time with PC tinkering, networking and server-stuff.

3 minutes ago, trag1c said:

This is exactly right.

(Turbo) Pascal/Delphi is (or are depending on where one sits philosophically) one of the multitude of languages that I know very well. It's very old now, predating C & C++ and was considered faster in that early era. Technical mastery of the language itself will unfortunately yield very little benefit in current industry as it's uses are usually limited to legacy maintenance (despite it's ongoing development by Embarcadero). That said you will however likely benefit from the theoretical implications much more so i.e. software engineering and design principals; and depending on what flavour and version of Pascal it is, experience with deterministic destruction, pointers, references and other forms of memory manipulation.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Just a FYI: Fanuc robots use a language called KAREL which is extremely close related to pascal. And some PLC's such as Beckhoff also use languages closely resembling pascal, so knowing it can have some uses.