Which Compiler/IDE to get?

bgibbz

So I have been teaching my self C for the past couple weeks during free time between classes, but I have yet to use a desktop IDE/Compiler. I have instead been writing my short little test programs on repl.it , and while it works well for simple stuff, I want to move on to something more complex. Which IDE do you recommend me using? I would use visual studio community, but does it support C?

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

1 minute ago, Nicholatian said:

No. Do not use Visual Studio, because it only supports the original ISO 1989 standard for C code. C99 is the norm nowadays, and you may even want to use the features from C11.

You will do good to download and install MinGW, which supports the latest C11 standard. However, if you’re willing to stick to C99 you can instead download the Tiny C Compiler, place it somewhere and run it. It is small, fast, and simple, and is nothing but the compiler itself – no accompanying programs to clutter things up. If you’re looking for something more long-term though, MinGW would be better.

As for a code editor, that honestly depends on what you want out of your programming experience. Personally, I use Atom, as it is easily hackable if you know JavaScript and Less – this vastly improves my comfort levels while writing code and if I want to change anything I can, very easily.

Thanks for the tip on VS.

Il probably use MinGW if you think its good. Does MinGW not include an editor? I have no problem using Atom, as I am sufficient in JavaScript.

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

Just now, Nicholatian said:

Shameless plug: I maintain a syntax highlighting theme called senusret-syntax. You can search for it from within Atom, definitely give it a look-see!

Il check it out :) thanks for your help!