Small-est, Portabl-est, Full GPU-est PC/Console Combined Case

Skeeter

Hi all!

I'm new here, be nice :)

So, I currently have a gaming PC up in my office and ditched all my last gen consoles when I moved house. But currently I find myself playing a lot of controller based games like Forza, Rocket League, Tomb Raider, etc, and it makes me miss my consoles and lounging on the sofa playing games on a large TV (and with friends, in the rare instance that they come over). However, I also love an FPS and other keyboard/mouse games, hence the PC. 

My initial thought was to just buy another console, but then I would not only be re-buying games I already own, but I would also be entering back into an ecosystem none of my mates are in (all my gaming mates play PC almost exclusively).

So my second though was to build a console replacement PC and use Steam BPM and have it live under the TV. There's a few nice slim horizontal cases that will take a full size GPU and wouldn't look out of place (or be too noisy) under a TV. But I just cannot justify maintaining two PCs worth of hardware (primarily the funds to have 2 gaming GPUs in a house where I'm the only gamer).

So then I started thinking of having just one PC, but making it portable? I use a USB hub for all my peripherals so my PC only has 4 cables into it, power, monitor, network and a single USB. If I had the PC in a small, easily portable case (I'm thinking handles) then I could just carry it downstairs and plug it into the TV, or out into the back room which I want to make my VR space at some point. I wouldn't have to worry about aesthetics too much as the PC would only be in the lounge when I'm using it (i.e. its Girlfriend friendly :)), but it would need to be small enough to move about without giving myself early back issues.

So, the tl;dr version, What suggestions do you guys have for the smallest, most portable cases possible that will also take a full size standard desktop GPU? I know I'm probably looking at Mini-ITX mobos and a slim cooler, but I'm ok with that. 

Thanks for the help :)

P.s. it was the DAN Case review from Luke that sent me down this path. That case looks great, but doesn't seem to be available :(

Welcome to the forums! :)

I believe the case you're looking for is the Fractal Design Node 202. It's a tiny console-sized case that can house a full length graphics card and comes with its own small form factor PSU

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019955QV4/

Keep in mind you might need a smaller (Mini-ITX) motherboard, but overall the investment will be lower than a console.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

If you want something as small as possible that's more available, Silverstone has the Raven RVZ02 and the Milo ML08 while Fractal has the Node 202.

If you don't mind something slightly bigger, Silverstone also carries the Raven RVZ01 and the Fortress FTZ01. I believe Silverstone made the case for the original Steam Machine prototype (the cases I mentioned from the Silverstone certainly have a lot of influence from it).

If you'd like later (I can't access my stuff right now) I can show you my PC, which uses the FTZ01.

Node 202 or Corsair bulldog, although the latter is imo very overpriced.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

The RVZ02 was what made me start thinking about an under the TV PC, but I have missed the ML08, which seems great with its carry handle :)

I'd be very interested in seeing your FTZ01 setup, cheers

Thanks for the 202 recommendations too guys. Again I missed this one, and that it has its own PSU.

I'm still rocking a 600w Corsair I bought years ago. I know CPUs draw much less power now, but is a 450w going to suffice for a gaming PC? I'm not going to go mental (I'll stick with the best i5 I can afford at the point I upgrade) but I would like to throw something like a 1070 or 1080 in it and not worry its going to cry?

2 minutes ago, Skeeter said:

Thanks for the 202 recommendations too guys. Again I missed this one, and that it has its own PSU.

I'm still rocking a 600w Corsair I bought years ago. I know CPUs draw much less power now, but is a 450w going to suffice for a gaming PC? I'm not going to go mental (I'll stick with the best i5 I can afford at the point I upgrade) but I would like to throw something like a 1070 or 1080 in it and not worry its going to cry?

I think you'll be fine unless you go anything higher than a 1060. It might be possible, but not recommended, maybe even the 1060 will draw too much power. As for cpu, since the only mainstream sockets on mini itx are lga 115x, nearly anything should work.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all. Just thought I'd report back in now I have got my build working to let you know how it went, and to help anyone else who finds this thread while searching for something similar.

I grabbed a Node 202 with the integrated 450w PSU, a H81i mobo and an i5 4590. I have harvested the 8GB RAM, GTX 970 and SSD from my existing machine and its now all up and running.

Top line, its all working fine. However, there are some niggles. The 202 is tight for cables, I mean really tight. I would happily have the case be a couple of cm's longer to allow there to be a proper channel between the PSU and the edge of the mobo to route cables, so that it didn't feel like they were wedged up against the RAM. Theres also a screw on the PCIe riser board thats impossible to fit with the CPU cooler installed, and almost impossible even with it removed. I didn't bother with it as theres 2 others and it seems solid.

Removing the bottom of the case is a pig. Taking the top off is easy with 4 screws, but the bottom is held on with plastic clips, half of which are inaccessible with any hardware installed, and the others are tight as hell. Much swearing and a strong fear of snapping them was needed to get the bottom off. I'm dreading having to do it again.

In Linus' and Luke's videos about the DAN Case and 202 they mention that you might be better off with a rear blower style (reference) cooler for better temps. I would say that a rear blower is a necessity for this case! My 970 is the Asus Strix with 2 fans blowing onto the card and it just pumps the hot air around inside the case. The top of the case has got so hot its to hot to touch. I'm on the look out for a different card with a rear blower to use instead.

Ultimately though, I have a nice looking, under the TV PC that with the help of an Xbox One pad and Steam Big Picture mode is basically a console. But its portable enough to whip out and move upstairs as and when needed.

Thanks for the advice, and I hope my little write up helps others to!