DELL G-SYNC VS DELL UW

MorganO

Dell U3415W 34.0" 60Hz Monitor: £640 

or

Dell S2716DG 27.0" 144Hz Monitor : £500

which should i get for a gtx1080 or the eventual 1080ti(i dont have the build yet)and then eventually sli, so i want to know wether g-sync is worth it or i should go ultrawide, leaning towards ultrawide at the moment but unsure

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

Gsync is good tech to have, but in this case it depends more on your needs. You gonna game with FPS or other type of games? Also lean towards the ultrawide currently, but if you play FPS much on a competitive lvl the higher Hz can give you a edge. Obviously it also helps in other games, but an more immersive experience is also great.

But isn't there also a variant of that ultrawide or similar out there with Gsync?

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

Just now, Gonio said:

Gsync is good tech to have, but in this case it depends more on your needs. You gonna game with FPS or other type of games? Also lean towards the ultrawide currently, but if you play FPS much on a competitive lvl the higher Hz can give you a edge. Obviously it also helps in other games, but an more immersive experience is also great.

But isn't there also a variant of that ultrawide or similar out there with Gsync?

not from dell i dont think,and the nearest one that i like(design wise) would be the x34 which is £1200, i think 60fps would be enough but im eventually going to have 2 1080/1080tis(undecided), is there any visual issues that could arrise from running 60+fps on a 60hz ultrawide.

games id play, GTA, BF4/1, FORZA horizon, FSX,train sim, ETS2,ATS, BEAMNG, probably some upcoming triple A titles(my current games are limited to what my laptop can run)

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

With those screens 1 1080 is overall good enough and if the Ti would perform like the Xp then 1 of those is also fine. If not needed, never take multi GPU setups and in your case I do not really see the need for it yet. SLI/CF depends to much on how well it is implemented. That trackrecord is far from good overall. And even if it is properly supported and scaling, you can still have a worse experience despite having higher fps.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

2 minutes ago, Gonio said:

With those screens 1 1080 is overall good enough and if the Ti would perform like the Xp then 1 of those is also fine. If not needed, never take multi GPU setups and in your case I do not really see the need for it yet. SLI/CF depends to much on how well it is implemented. That trackrecord is far from good overall. And even if it is properly supported and scaling, you can still have a worse experience despite having higher fps.

but two gpus look so much better :P shame you cant get fake cards (like the fake phones for phone stores)im not buying 2 cards from the start just a single then ill pick one up down the road(currently play most games medium-low at <30-40fps) so if i find that a single 1080/1080ti isnt good enough ill get a second etc.

probably will choose the UW tbh, as i cant fit 2x27"monitors on my desk)

will a single 1080/1080ti run all the games i have listed at minimum 30 OR 60 FPS+?

Edited by KOMTechAndGaming

Well agree that it looks more badass, but I rather skip it because of the possible troubles with it. Have used SLI/CF much in the past and am glad that I don't require it anymore. Just had to many times in certain games: all that money, all that power and I have a worse experience or it gets wasted because it's not really used. If the impact was so great and I could manage with one card I pulled it out.

And yes most will be good on medium to high above 60fps for the 1080. But you have to tweak a bit here and there for Ultra. This would be a situation where Gsync shines btw... It would not matter then if you play ultra and have around 50-55 fps in a game.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list