Need some help Overclocking!

I heard that the i5-4690k would bottleneck the gtx 1070. I plan on buying the gtx 1070 over black friday/cyber monday. To my main point, I have never overclocked anything in my life and it seems like i will have to overclock my cpu if I hope to get the full perfomrance of a gtx 1070. My current cooler is a H100i and the motherboard is gigabyte with the most recent bios (not the beta though, F9).

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/HFPscf

Would anyone be able to walk me through it, I have watched some youtube videos but am still not really sure on what to do. I can skype, discord, or steam voice chat if that makes it easier.

Discord: Swiffi #6765

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198011365130/

I can't skype or call, but start with about 42 multiplier on the CPU and a VCORE of about 1.225

Then, if it fails, add some more vcore.

If it passes, keep ramping up the speed until u hit a BSOD.

I'd say about 4.6 is a good overclock for a i5 4690k

Don't go over VCORE of 1.35

^ what he said but make sure you go into the advanced bios (if that is an option) and turn on fully manual mode

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

2 minutes ago, thetechygamer15 said:

I can't skype or call, but start with about 42 multiplier on the CPU and a VCORE of about 1.225

Then, if it fails, add some more vcore.

If it passes, keep ramping up the speed until u hit a BSOD.

I'd say about 4.6 is a good overclock for a i5 4690k

Don't go over VCORE of 1.35

so start at a 42 multiplies on cpu w/ 1.225, then if it passes go to 1.226 with 43? or hows it work. also pictures of where these might be would be really really useful! Thank you.

6 hours ago, Caleb SF said:

<Snip>

You want to first make sure your cooling is working properly before going any further.

Up your multiplier to 4.2 (as it should be able to reach that without a problem)

Use 1.225V core fixed and test the computer.

Passes?

Use 4.3. Same Vcore.

Test.

Fails? Passes?

Fails -> up Vcore.

Passes -> 4.4.

So on.

You stop when you reach one or more limits.

A temp of your choice. 105C is the max but you'll be stupid to run it at that. So pick a value you're happy with. However the higher the temp, the lower the life span of the CPU and the more Vcore that will be needed. It's your CPU, you choose.

Vcore, 1.35V is a good value to stop at. Go all the way to 1.55V if your bollocks scrap the floor.

Most people will agree that 1.35 for air,

1.4 for AIO water coolers.

1.55 for custom water cooling. The use should at that point know what their rads can support.

Once all that is done and lets say 4.6Ghz was your max. You now have choices.

Revise your targets and lower your clocks.

Revise your targets and increase your limits.

Leave it as is.

Optimize your voltage by using an offset rather that fixed.

Enable power saving features at your choosing.

It will take a few hours at least to complete all of this. Depends how much you care for your investment. It can be done in less that an hour, or can take a whole day. That's your choice.

It's not a race to the bottom.

8 hours ago, 0x1e said:

snip

Ok, and should i up the vcore by 0.005 each time or what  shoul I go up each time.

On 10/23/2016 at 7:27 PM, Caleb SF said:

<Snip>

At first 0.05V up should be fine.

As your volts get closer to your limits you should use less increments. Even a tiny voltage change can be the difference between stable and BSOD.

However, as you get used to overclocking you'll be able to "feel" what to do next.

You should also benchmark your computer before you start any overclocking and then benchmark your system once you're finished. This way you can see if your work was worth it.

Also, forgot to mention, you should also save your bios each time you do a big change.

You may have to reset your bios once in a while or it will reset itself. If you saved your bios then you can just go back to that save.

That way you don't need to restart from scratch.

Another though would be to see if you're Mobo has a ''EZ OC'' button or something of the sorts. 

Just remember! - Dont give your CPU too much VCore otherwise you'll be needing a fire extinguisher! 

On 10/25/2016 at 5:34 PM, 0x1e said:

At first 0.05V up should be fine.

As your volts get closer to your limits you should use less increments. Even a tiny voltage change can be the difference between stable and BSOD.

However, as you get used to overclocking you'll be able to "feel" what to do next.

You should also benchmark your computer before you start any overclocking and then benchmark your system once you're finished. This way you can see if your work was worth it.

Also, forgot to mention, you should also save your bios each time you do a big change.

You may have to reset your bios once in a while or it will reset itself. If you saved your bios then you can just go back to that save.

That way you don't need to restart from scratch.

Ok, so I have a few benchmarks from Cinabench, wPrime, Bioshock Infinite, 3dmark, Unigine Heaven & Valley. I've been watching pauls video on how to overclock and he doesnt really mention upping the vcore too much. He just turns the multiplies up to 46 (I will most likely slowly up it and hope for 45 in the end) and leaves everything on auto. Would you be able to watch the video and just make sure what hes doing seems fine or can you add anything about the vcore?

Also can you tell me what I should look for that would show the cpu is unstable? Will I see a drop in performance or major stuttering? What am I looking for?

11 hours ago, Caleb SF said:

I think it's wrong for him to say that most people will achieve 4.6-4.8Ghz. 4.4-4.6 is reasonable.

Back with the 2500k / 2600k (used to be classed as the kings of overclocking) most people couldn't get 4.8. However if you could then there was a good chance you could go higher. Thankfully mine went to 5.1 but has degraded to 4.9Ghz. 4 years of 5.1 will do that with 1.52V.

Punching in 4.6 straight away to me seems like a noobish move. It most likely won't damage your CPU as the volts should still be low enough, but you have no idea at this point.

Go with 4.4 at the start. Even though 4.2Ghz is the boost clock of the 6700k you must remember that is normally only for 1-2 cores. 4.0Ghz is where you're overclocking from.

You must use manual voltage from the very start. Don't allow the board to overclock itself. It has always and will always use a stupid amount of volts if allowed to do so.

Don't touch the BCLK (base clock) as that's well over your head. It can cause many more problems then what you want. It will only give you a very slight performance increase if any at all but in return it will give you a massive headache.

Once you know and understand overclocking and you're confident in your own skill then touch it, but till then don't bother.

He also didn't go into more advanced things. You will need to read these in your own time as there's too much information to convey over a single message board. I'll just list what comes to mind.

Vcore

VTT / VCCIO if you decide to overclock your memory. 9/10 times you will never need to touch it (anything over 2133Mhz is classed as an overclock)

Cache ratio.

Memory speeds. Memory timings including 1T and 2T. XMP. Memory volts. Higher your memory speed then typically lower your overclock. (however it has become better in recent years)

PLL overvoltage (if you decide to go even higher)

CPU Current Capability

PLL volts (each CPU is different. but with mine the lower it is the higher my OC. Stock was 1.8V but could go as low as 1.5V)

VRM timings (if you decide to go even higher)

Vdrop / Vdroop (use it well and you;ll be able to get the same load volt but lower idle volts if used correctly with offset volts)

Offset voltages. (highly recommended)

C1e - c5e states (power saving. Your choice if you want it)

Your own motherboards power saving features. Like Asus use something called EPU (Energy Processing Unit)

CPU Spread Spectrum. Some motherboards also offer versions for RAM, Southbridge and Sata.

Per core CPU overclock (if you decide to go even higher, much higher)

Bios flashing / upgrading (do at your own risk)

bios saving and reverting (when he saved and loaded a bios)

Removing your CMOS battery as not all motherboards have a simple bios button. Some use switches or jumpers. Find which is easiest for you on your motherboard.

A wide range of stress testing. Stay away from Prime95 and Furmark.

Be prepaired for BSOD's.

Only change one thing at a time or you'll lose track.

Learn the feel of your computer. You may hit either diminishing returns or "peak". Peak is hard to explain but there may be a time when you reach an overclock of lets say 4.6Ghz and everything seems stable, but 4.5Ghz gave you a higher score on benchmarks. That's because you peaked at 4.5Ghz, now you're going down to a BSOD. You can recover with higher volts but sometimes you can't. There's no real explanation for this, so I thought I would try and explain.

Now, all that I mentioned you may not ever need, but it's there if you do.

For now, stick with CPU multiplier and Voltage. Once you've reached your max THEN up your ram from 2133Mhz to its rated value.

11 hours ago, 0x1e said:

snip

So I got it to 4.2 Ghz at 1.16Vcore. And it made it through all my benchmarks without crashing and it seems fairly stable. There is one issue. My scores are less in most benchmarks, than without the overclock. Although, in Cinabench R15, it went from 576 to 608 cb. 

On 10/28/2016 at 0:04 AM, Caleb SF said:

So I got it to 4.2 Ghz at 1.16Vcore. And it made it through all my benchmarks without crashing and it seems fairly stable. There is one issue. My scores are less in most benchmarks, than without the overclock. Although, in Cinabench R15, it went from 576 to 608 cb. 

You can try upping to Vcore a tad and see if the scores change.

It should be completely stable at 4.2Ghz as that is the stock "overclock" for half the CPU.

On completely stock clocks core one should be at 4.2Ghz, Core 2 should be at around 4.1Ghz, 3 & 4 should be 4Ghz.

Your results could either mean you've peaked with that Ghz and volts, or it could be a margin of error as it's so close to stock.

Go to 4.3Ghz with +0.05V and see what happens.

At such a low clock you only need small voltage increases, sometimes none at all. 4.5+ is when you'll start needing more.

My 2500k could do 4.6Ghz on 1.1V which is an undervolt.

1 hour ago, 0x1e said:

You can try upping to Vcore a tad and see if the scores change.

It should be completely stable at 4.2Ghz as that is the stock "overclock" for half the CPU.

On completely stock clocks core one should be at 4.2Ghz, Core 2 should be at around 4.1Ghz, 3 & 4 should be 4Ghz.

Your results could either mean you've peaked with that Ghz and volts, or it could be a margin of error as it's so close to stock.

Go to 4.3Ghz with +0.05V and see what happens.

At such a low clock you only need small voltage increases, sometimes none at all. 4.5+ is when you'll start needing more.

My 2500k could do 4.6Ghz on 1.1V which is an undervolt.

Stock for the i5-4690k is 3.5 ghz. Its stock overclock was 3.9 ghz. Atm its really stable at 4.2 ghz with 1.17 vcore (it crashed in a benchmark at 1.16)

53 minutes ago, Caleb SF said:

Stock for the i5-4690k is 3.5 ghz. Its stock overclock was 3.9 ghz. Atm its really stable at 4.2 ghz with 1.17 vcore (it crashed in a benchmark at 1.16)

Woops, Was thinking about the 6700k (thinking about getting it, so it's stuck on my mind)

Are you happy with 4.2Ghz?

If you are then use the computer for a few days with normal use after you've benched it and if it's all good then use the rated RAM speeds and timings.

Don't bother overclocking RAM. It used to be a thing back with the Core 2 duo / quads but not any more.

42 minutes ago, 0x1e said:

Woops, Was thinking about the 6700k (thinking about getting it, so it's stuck on my mind)

Are you happy with 4.2Ghz?

If you are then use the computer for a few days with normal use after you've benched it and if it's all good then use the rated RAM speeds and timings.

Don't bother overclocking RAM. It used to be a thing back with the Core 2 duo / quads but not any more.

Once again, based on my benchmarks, I've only seen slight ups in cinabench and wPrime. So I'm not really sure if its worth it. It's only maxing out at 60 C under 100% load so its not like its hurting anything. 

18 hours ago, Caleb SF said:

Once again, based on my benchmarks, I've only seen slight ups in cinabench and wPrime. So I'm not really sure if its worth it. It's only maxing out at 60 C under 100% load so its not like its hurting anything. 

You'll never get massive improvements from overclocking. It's always best to buy the best you can, rather than depend on overclocking. Buying the next one up will give you better improvements then overclocking the lower one down. That's if you would overclock both.

In games you'll get a few extra frames. We're talking 5-10 depending how far you go.

In benchmarks you're also talking about just a few points.

However, I don't overclock for higher total scores, or higher benchmarks. I overclock to bring up the minimum scores.

So If I'm gaming lets say and I go below lets say 60fps every now and then, I want to overclock to bring that minimum (57fps) to 60+.

This way I get a better gaming experience.

Raising my max of 100FPS to 110FPS is just a bonus, but it's not what I'm looking for personally.

It also helps me more than others as I only have 4 cores and no HT. I game, record and sometimes stream the gaming sessions. If I'm not streaming then I'm data crunching (F@H). Running those programs will hit my minimums hard so overclocking will compensate. Not only will the game work better, but so will all the other programs. Everything wins.

However, as I said before. It's your PC. If you wish to stop at 4.2Ghz then no one can blame you, nor tell you to go further. Go as far as you can comfortably.

Some people can upgrade every year so don't need to worry about the cost of overclocking. Most of us can't. I work two jobs and sometimes work 7 days a week and I can't even afford to upgrade yearly. It must be a 5+ years investment or it's not worth my time and money.