Help! Black screen/Monitor no signal/ Fans running at 100%

Ok to start off where the problems occurred it all happened after I upgraded my gtx 760 2GB  to a gtx 1060 6GB. 

Specs:

core i5 4570 (stock cooler)

Lepa 500w PSU 24 pin 4pin 12v rail and 6+6+2 PCE Power connectors

EVGA GTX 1060 6GB Superclocked
MOBO: MSI H81M-E33

Graphics driver 372.90

Windows 8.1

The problem:

Its not with every game so far, but 2 have been giving me issues. Doom by Bethesda & Chivarly MW. When I try and play these games my screen will go black and my monitor will eventually say no signal. During this my computer stays on. Sometimes the GPU fan will run at maximum and sometimes it won't. I tried CTL+ALT+Delete, ALT TAB and the screen will not change. The sound will play for a few seconds as well. The only way out of this is to press the power or reset button on my computer. After that the PC boots up(Slower than normal) but everything seems fine.  This happens at random times. For chivalry I happened anywhere from the first 5 minutes of play to a couple hours, while doom took a few hours to have the same issue. 

What I tried and didn't work. 
Uninstalling and clean installing the graphics driver.
Reseating the card in the Motherboard
Trying a diffrent 6pin power connector. 

Running the fans at max to keep the Temps of the GPU down

Changing settings in the nividia control panel to debug mode. 
Tried using a DVI, HDMI and display port and all still crashed.

Notes:

My GTX 760 took 170w and my new card only needs 120w, so I don't know if the PSU is the problem, the computer also stays on during the crash. 

It is factory overclocked but I tried running it in debug mode and I still got the same crash.

I ran Furmark tests (1080p preset) and passed several times, MSI afterburner and CPU Z also show my temps never go above 80C for the GPU and 70 for the CPU.

Please can anyone help me?

If you have a different graphics card and/or monitor, see what happens when you switch them out. Otherwise, I cannot help you :(. From what you say, it sounds like the graphics card itself.

Try moving this thread to the troubleshooting section.

3600X @ stocke | 5600XT TUF OC @ 1850 | 2x16 + 2x8 RAM 3200 HD | 1tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Lian Li 205M | TT Toughpower Grand RGB 850 | throwaway b450 asus mobo | BQ cooler

40 minutes ago, The Great Tree said:

If you have a different graphics card and/or monitor, see what happens when you switch them out. Otherwise, I cannot help you :(. From what you say, it sounds like the graphics card itself.

I actually have my old GPU and a TV monitor

1 minute ago, Sir Tainly said:

I actually have my old GPU and a TV monitor

Then try switching em out and see what happens

Sir Tainly, I'm glad to have come across your post because I have been experiencing almost the exact same issues!

I too upgraded from a trusty gtx 760 2 GB to the EVGA GTX 1060 6 GB Superclocked.

The same issues my end: in-game, without warning, the screen will go black (displaying 'no signal'), GPU fans will almost always hit 100% and audio will continue for a while until  an error message chime pops up (no doubt to inform me that the nvidia display driver has crashed, as if I couldn't have guessed..) This can only be rectified by a hard restart. 

I thought it may be PSU related too, but if that was the case surely the pc wouldn't continue to run, audio on and crazy fast fans? 

The time taken for the crash to happen can be sporadic but generally seems to happen around the same sort of times - 10 mins or so (witcher 3 and total war). 

As you said, the 760 had a higher power draw than this card so that confuses me... 

Have you looked into this further? Did you try your old card? - that's what I intend to do next

Having tried many solutions, none which have worked, I'm in contact with EVGA - this doesn't seem to be unheard of amongst their SC and FTW cards, have you looked at RMA?

i think you set the reser too hi for the monitor to handle.i allredy go through stuff like that on lol.

UPDATE: I have gotten a hand tested RMA replacement card and the same exact thing happened. I just now put my 760 back in the computer and no problems at all. 

On 10/8/2016 at 11:33 AM, RogueMango said:

Sir Tainly, I'm glad to have come across your post because I have been experiencing almost the exact same issues!

I too upgraded from a trusty gtx 760 2 GB to the EVGA GTX 1060 6 GB Superclocked.

The same issues my end: in-game, without warning, the screen will go black (displaying 'no signal'), GPU fans will almost always hit 100% and audio will continue for a while until  an error message chime pops up (no doubt to inform me that the nvidia display driver has crashed, as if I couldn't have guessed..) This can only be rectified by a hard restart. 

I thought it may be PSU related too, but if that was the case surely the pc wouldn't continue to run, audio on and crazy fast fans? 

The time taken for the crash to happen can be sporadic but generally seems to happen around the same sort of times - 10 mins or so (witcher 3 and total war). 

As you said, the 760 had a higher power draw than this card so that confuses me... 

Have you looked into this further? Did you try your old card? - that's what I intend to do next

Having tried many solutions, none which have worked, I'm in contact with EVGA - this doesn't seem to be unheard of amongst their SC and FTW cards, have you looked at RMA?

I have RMA the card, the new one was garenteed hand tested and it did not work. My old 760 still does work though. I put it in and it ran the game just fine. 

UPDATE: It was the PSU. Replacing it fixed the my crashing issues.

As a general rule of thumb... a non-OCed GPU under load suddenly shutting off is often a PSU problem. Unless you know for a fact you have a ton of PSU headroom AND it's not failing, that would be the first thing to check.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.