Intel Serverboard S5000XVN cpu fan speed!?

Go to solution Solved by YksiPieniSieni,

Update to this, i solved the problem just by updating the BIOS and that was it, not bad problem after all! 9_9

Okay so first of all just signed up in to this community and this is obviously my first post so lets do this.

I have this old intel serverboard which is S5000XVN with two intel xeon E5420 cpus and Nvidia Quadro fx 1700 gpu. My friend didnt use it or didnt want it anymore so i got it for free and decided to try it out. Im not really any kind of expert in these kind of stuff so i decided to ask some help from you guys. The pc is running fine (obviously it is a little bit slow) but there is one problem that is really annoying me when i use it, the cpu fans are running pretty much full speed all the time even without any kind of workload and i would really like to use this pc as my second pc if there is some way to make these cpu fans run little bit lower speeds. I have noticed when i clear the cmos, the cpu fans run actually really quiet after that about minute or so but then they speed up again to that speed which reminds pretty much a vacuum cleaner and stay that speed. So, the question is, is there any way to lower those fan speeds so i can use it without ear plugs? I know it is serverboard after all and it was designed to be under some kind of load and that way the fans should keep it cool but im not using it as a server so the fan speed seem like too much to me.

Every saint got a past, every sinner got a future.

You can make them spin slower by butting a resitor on the fan leads or running them from a lower voltage. Most servers don't let you control fans.

Thanks for the answer! Do you mean running lower voltage with some kind of adapters or fan controller?

11 hours ago, YksiPieniSieni said:

Thanks for the answer! Do you mean running lower voltage with some kind of adapters or fan controller?

Adding resistors in series, or a fan controller may work since they will both reduce the voltage going to the fans.

If the server senses that the fans get to low though, it may shutdown or not boot thinking that there is a critical error with the fans. 

If you want to use it as a second computer, you could put it in a closet or something out of the way, and run a kvm extension, or set it up to be remote accessed.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Update to this, i solved the problem just by updating the BIOS and that was it, not bad problem after all! 9_9