DVI vs VGA

SO I need help. I am getting a motherboard with 1 DVI-D port and doesn't have a vga port. Is the DVI port faster than the VGA port when connected into a monitor? The monitor doesn't use HDMI so its just between DVI and VGA. 

DVI is similar to vga except it supports 1080p where VGA only does up to 720p. Otherwise they are effectively the same.

1 minute ago, EminentSun said:

DVI is similar to vga except it supports 1080p where VGA only does up to 720p. Otherwise they are effectively the same.

Not quite. Check out the guide I linked in my first comment :P

"universal" port would be DVI-I DL, you get DVI DL and you can adapt it without active adapters to VGA (DVI-I to VGA) and HDMI (DVI-D SL to HDMI)

The main advantage of DVI over VGA is just what @Cela1 said, it's digital which one of the strong points is that it's "stronger" against interferences.

This is a signature.

While I'm sure the quality loss is minimal, VGA also has the problem of needing to convert from digital to analog, then back to digital again, unless you're on a CRT. Otherwise the two are effectively the same.

I also keep thinking at least in NVIDIA land, DVI allows you to do more scaling modes, like having the graphics card retaining aspect ratio or doing 1:1 instead of sending something to the monitor and have it do whatever it wants to the signal.