CPU Cooler for Intel i7 6700k?

Kendragon

I was originally doing the Gammaxx 300 (http://www.deepcool.com/product/cpucooler/2013-12/7_481.shtml) but someone on reddit recommended the Cryorig H7 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4UF2DZ6565). Which one should I do? Or are these not enough for the i7 6700k and I need a better one? My list of PC components is on this PCpartpicker link http://pcpartpicker.com/list/XpbrM8 for compatibility check. I'd prefer not to use water cooling because I'm afraid it will leak and short out everything.

Did you order the parts yet? I suggest swapping for a 1070 instead of 980Ti

Cyrorig h7 is nice. You can also get Deepcool Gammaxx 400. Also consider Noctua DH. They look ugly but is efficient

Thank you for the reply! Which 1070 should I get? FTW ACX 3.0? 

Depends on your budget. My suggestions below.

Entry level (~$30): Deepcool Gammaxx 400 or Cryorig H7. The Gammaxx 400 is, imo, the king of budget coolers right now. It beats the 212 EVO and H7 in price, and it outperforms them in benchmark reviews. Also, it looks sexy with its blue LED fan. If you can't get the Gammaxx 400 or your case is too small, the H7 would be my second choice.

Mid-tier (~$50): Cryorig H5 Ultimate or H5 Universal. I'm a huge believer in the H5. It's about $30 less than the NH-D15, but cools to within a few degrees of it. It's also more compact (although "compact" is a relative term at this level). I used the H5 Ultimate for months before switching to liquid, and have zero complaints. If you have RAM clearance concerns, the H5 Universal trades a degree or two for guaranteed compatibility with 100% of RAM.

Big air ($infinity): Noctua NH-D15. It's the king, no doubt about it. No air cooler can beat it, imo, and that includes the $120+ e-peen-machines with smoked plastic and red LEDs. If it's just a wee bit too wide for your rig, the Cryorig R1 Universal gives the same 100% RAM clearance that the H5 Universal does, and the R1 Ultimate is just a touch narrower than the NH-D15 (but not shorter). Still, the R1 can't beat the NH-D15 on performance.

If you haven't ruled liquid out entirely, I'll throw this out there: I was the same way about liquid. Three points of failure vs. one, fear of leaking, etc. I'd installed AIOs, never used one, then I took a flyer on one. The one I bought was a piece of crap, and I ended up RMAing it and giving the replacement to my wife, but I wound up buying myself an NZXT Kraken X61 when I sent it back. The difference has been somewhere in the realm of amazing. Worth consideration, although a Kraken X61 is more expensive than even an NH-D15.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

The Gammaxx 300 is enough to cool the cpu but won't give much headroom for oc'ing. The H7 is good enough for a moderate oc.

The 212 Evo is similar but cheaper than the H7: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/hmtCmG/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2

The H7 has better mounting hardware and is shorter but whether that's important to you or not is up to you.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

37 minutes ago, dexxterlab97 said:

Did you order the parts yet? I suggest swapping for a 1070 instead of 980Ti

Cyrorig h7 is nice. You can also get Deepcool Gammaxx 400. Also consider Noctua DH. They look ugly but is efficient

Oops did not quote with the first reply so I will repeat the message. "Thank you for the reply! Which 1070 should I get? FTW ACX 3.0?"

26 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Depends on your budget. My suggestions below.

Entry level (~$30): Deepcool Gammaxx 400 or Cryorig H7. The Gammaxx 400 is, imo, the king of budget coolers right now. It beats the 212 EVO and H7 in price, and it outperforms them in benchmark reviews. Also, it looks sexy with its blue LED fan. If you can't get the Gammaxx 400 or your case is too small, the H7 would be my second choice.

Mid-tier (~$50): Cryorig H5 Ultimate or H5 Universal. I'm a huge believer in the H5. It's about $30 less than the NH-D15, but cools to within a few degrees of it. It's also more compact (although "compact" is a relative term at this level). I used the H5 Ultimate for months before switching to liquid, and have zero complaints. If you have RAM clearance concerns, the H5 Universal trades a degree or two for guaranteed compatibility with 100% of RAM.

Big air ($infinity): Noctua NH-D15. It's the king, no doubt about it. No air cooler can beat it, imo, and that includes the $120+ e-peen-machines with smoked plastic and red LEDs. If it's just a wee bit too wide for your rig, the Cryorig R1 Universal gives the same 100% RAM clearance that the H5 Universal does, and the R1 Ultimate is just a touch narrower than the NH-D15 (but not shorter). Still, the R1 can't beat the NH-D15 on performance.

If you haven't ruled liquid out entirely, I'll throw this out there: I was the same way about liquid. Three points of failure vs. one, fear of leaking, etc. I'd installed AIOs, never used one, then I took a flyer on one. The one I bought was a piece of crap, and I ended up RMAing it and giving the replacement to my wife, but I wound up buying myself an NZXT Kraken X61 when I sent it back. The difference has been somewhere in the realm of amazing. Worth consideration, although a Kraken X61 is more expensive than even an NH-D15.

Thanks for the reply with all the detail! I think I may go for the H5 Ultimate. If I can't, I'll try the Gammaxx 400.

2 minutes ago, Kendragon said:

Oops did not quote with the first reply so I will repeat the message. "Thank you for the reply! Which 1070 should I get? FTW ACX 3.0?"

A 1070 is a 1070. If you don't have any particular preferences, you can just get the cheapest one.

You can edit in tags instead of making another post to quote like this

@Kendragon

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

A 1070 is a 1070. If you don't have any particular preferences, you can just get the cheapest one.

You can edit in tags instead of making another post to quote like this

@Kendragon

I didn't know that :P just joined today so I'm still a little new to this

I would get a noctua cooler for several reasons and before I continue, you could also just get an NH-U12S, which will let you get a 4.5Ghz overclock no problem and is quite a bit cheaper than the NH-D 15. 

1. Solid construction
  2. Easy mounting
  3. Great 7 year warranty on fans (I have taken advantage of this several times and they are very easy going)
  4. Very!!! Quiet
  5. Great thermal paste included

I tried a few other brands over the years and most look better, but I often got frustrated with other things. 

The 1070 is a great card and still has pretty good price/performance so go ahead. I like MSI because they mostly don't disappoint when it comes to noise, but that's just me. EVGA has an amazing warranty apparently, but I would just get there regular acx. The classified or ftw are usually not that much better performers considering the price difference.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)