Affordable sleeved cables

Go to solution Solved by W-L,
9 hours ago, meenmeen1103 said:

The only one I would is the one I can't. Even though a full set would technically be better, I don't think you'd have issues with extensions from a brand like Phanteks. I have no experience with their kits but it's got to be better than some amazon special generic cables (if those even exist). 

Extensions would be your best bang for the buck cable mods does have a basics extensions kit, but as for some other options you can get sleeved extensions from Bitfenix or SIlverstone also. 

I want to switch out the 24 pin, and the 2x 8 pin cables that run to my mobo and PSU. I saw that Phanteks makes extensions, and they sell a kit with what I'm looking for, but I heard that extensions reduce efficiency due to the longer length in cable (more resistance- but C'mon, how much more in a 500mm cable?), and that would mean that the basement of my case will get pretty messy with the extra length of cables shoved down there (it won't be visible, but I'll know it's there...).

I don't want to spend a metric ton of money, the Phanteks cable set is just under 25 euros, and I live in Greece, which means cablemod is out of the question (both for shipping and financial reasons).

Can anyone recommend a different set of cables, or should I go with the Phanteks ones? I'm planning on purchasing off of this website:

http://www.e-shop.gr/

Code-name Nyx: R7-3800X w/ Scythe Fuma 2 Rev. B | Sapphire RX 5600XT | Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | Patriot Viper 4 Blackout | 3TB NVMe Storage| Cooler Master NR200 | Kubuntu/Windows 11 | Xiaomi Mi Curved 34" | Keebwerk Mega | Logitech G602 | Audio Technica ATH-M40X| Edifier e25 Luna

Resistance has nothing to do with the length of the cable

Looking for an image to explain

CPU: R5 3600 @ 4.4 GHz

RAM: 16GB DDR4 @ 3200 MHz

GPU: RTX 2080 Super 

large

Yellow circles represent electrons

CPU: R5 3600 @ 4.4 GHz

RAM: 16GB DDR4 @ 3200 MHz

GPU: RTX 2080 Super 

-snip-

Okay. So are cable extensions any good?

Thank you for explaining the resistance thing, but that's not really what I'm asking

(please don't take this the wrong way, I don't mean any disrespect or anything like that)

Code-name Nyx: R7-3800X w/ Scythe Fuma 2 Rev. B | Sapphire RX 5600XT | Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | Patriot Viper 4 Blackout | 3TB NVMe Storage| Cooler Master NR200 | Kubuntu/Windows 11 | Xiaomi Mi Curved 34" | Keebwerk Mega | Logitech G602 | Audio Technica ATH-M40X| Edifier e25 Luna

3 minutes ago, James7176 said:

large

Yellow circles represent electrons

A longer cable of the same gauge (thickness) will absolutely have higher resistance.

The added length won't add near as much resistance as the extra set of connectors will, but even then it shouldn't be a problem if the connectors are at least decent quality. Based on that, and the fact you don't want extra mess, going with an actual cable set rather than extensions would be a good thing.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

1 minute ago, meenmeen1103 said:

-snip-

Can you recommend any good kits or cables?

Keep in mind that affordability is of utmost importance 

2 minutes ago, ky802008 said:

Can you recommend any good kits or cables?

Keep in mind that affordability is of utmost importance 

The only one I would is the one I can't. Even though a full set would technically be better, I don't think you'd have issues with extensions from a brand like Phanteks. I have no experience with their kits but it's got to be better than some amazon special generic cables (if those even exist). 

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

4 minutes ago, meenmeen1103 said:

I know a full set like a cablemod would be better, but I don't have, and don't want to spend 107 euros on a full set, just to use the 24 pin, and a couple 8 pins.

6 minutes ago, ky802008 said:

I know a full set like a cablemod would be better, but I don't have, and don't want to spend 107 euros on a full set, just to use the 24 pin, and a couple 8 pins.

True, and the trade-off from using the Phanteks kit is very likely negligible, especially given the price difference. I was just pointing out that technically it would be better performance-wise, even if it's just a minuscule "better".

9 hours ago, meenmeen1103 said:

Extensions would be your best bang for the buck cable mods does have a basics extensions kit, but as for some other options you can get sleeved extensions from Bitfenix or SIlverstone also.