I need help with a custom loop

I don't know much about liquid cooling. I have a plan to fully water cool my new system but i have no clue what i need.

So...

I have 6700k as my CPU

TT core V71 as the case

and an unknown GPU i haven't chose one yet. The one i'll get will most likely be a GTX 1080 the best one i can find(if you have any suggestion, i would appreciate you leaving them down below)

My plan is to run a full loop, i have some ideas but they're not full yet.

My first idea is to have a 360 rad on the top, and a 240 on the bottom, and keep the 2x200 fans on the front for intake. So the top rad is outtake and the bottom is intake. at the end i'll end up with a little something like this, 360 rad on top (outtake), 240 bottom rad (intake), 2x200 front intake fans, 1x140 rear exhaust. But there is a problem here, i have no clue how to put the tubes. I don't know if i should make the bottom rad go to the GPU then CPU then top rad then res. Or maybe bottom rad to GPU to top rad to CPU to RES. Please someone tell me what to do here, i'm so lost. Please if you have a completely different idea on what order i should connect the parts in please tell me. I would very much appreciate it.

My second idea is basically the top one but without the front fans for intake and instead a 360rad. I still have no idea what order to connect the parts in so please help me out here.

or i could make all the rads intake which would be fine because there is more than enough ventilation holes for air to be pushed out through.

Please guys my main concern is what order to connect the components in, if you have any suggestions please leave them down below. Also i would like to know which component should i use the bigger rad for the GPU or CPU.

Thanks

Check JayzTwoCents on Youtube. He has plenty of tutorials.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 hour ago, Mr.N000BIE said:

But there is a problem here, i have no clue how to put the tubes. I don't know if i should make the bottom rad go to the GPU then CPU then top rad then res. Or maybe bottom rad to GPU to top rad to CPU to RES. Please someone tell me what to do here, i'm so lost. Please if you have a completely different idea on what order i should connect the parts in please tell me. I would very much appreciate it.

The only thing that really matters is that the reservoir is directly feeding the pump, beyond that it really doesn't matter what order the components are in so go with whatever is easiest or looks best.  For the minimum amount of tubing I would go bottom rad - GPU - CPU - top rad - res - pump but it's completely up to you.

welcome to the Linus Tech Tips forums!

usually, most do not have a sense of where to put everything.

first thing to 'visualize' would be to dl a jpeg of the case used and paint the devices into that jpeg to help understand where things may/may not go.

but once all the parts are installed, a lot of things start materializing towards tubing runs, etc..

as for the build needs:

a simple 360 loop can cool the 6700k/1080 with minor voltage overclocks. this can also keep temps in check and keep a quiet profile. if overclocking with monster volts or adding a second GPU, then the extra 240 is necessary. but would depend on radiator(s) and radiator fan selection due to static pressure and flow rates.

11 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Check JayzTwoCents on Youtube. He has plenty of tutorials.

I agree watch him Jay is great, if you haven't already got the parts for your loop I would look into EKWB's water cooling kits that would have basically everything that you need other than the extra rad and gpu block.

4 hours ago, Technous285 said:

Having built a system without planning in a drain valve (original version of my Beast rig) - it is a PAIN in the rear to try and drain a large loop if you do not have a drain valve at the lowest point in the loop.

Even if it means using a T-fitting coming out of the bottom radiator's lowest port (in line with the return feed to the res), have a drain valve as low in the loop as you can get!

^Great advice make sure that you plan for a way to drain your loop it will save you a lot of hassle in the future.

Desktop: Intel i9 9900K 5Ghz | MSI z390 ACE | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | 32 Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 Mhz | 500GB 970 EVO | 500GB 940 EVO | 1TB Intel 540s | 500GB Crucial CT500MX | EVGA SUPERNOVA 1000W | Custom loop CPU + GPU

Server: Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz | Gigabyte B450M | 16GB G Skill Ripjaws V 3200Mhz | MSI GT 710 | 500GB Crucial P1 | 4TB WD Red | EVGA SUPERNOVA 550W

On 9/25/2016 at 10:05 PM, Mr.N000BIE said:

I don't know much about liquid cooling. I have a plan to fully water cool my new system but i have no clue what i need.

So...

I have 6700k as my CPU

TT core V71 as the case

and an unknown GPU i haven't chose one yet. The one i'll get will most likely be a GTX 1080 the best one i can find(if you have any suggestion, i would appreciate you leaving them down below)

My plan is to run a full loop, i have some ideas but they're not full yet.

My first idea is to have a 360 rad on the top, and a 240 on the bottom, and keep the 2x200 fans on the front for intake. So the top rad is outtake and the bottom is intake. at the end i'll end up with a little something like this, 360 rad on top (outtake), 240 bottom rad (intake), 2x200 front intake fans, 1x140 rear exhaust. But there is a problem here, i have no clue how to put the tubes. I don't know if i should make the bottom rad go to the GPU then CPU then top rad then res. Or maybe bottom rad to GPU to top rad to CPU to RES. Please someone tell me what to do here, i'm so lost. Please if you have a completely different idea on what order i should connect the parts in please tell me. I would very much appreciate it.

My second idea is basically the top one but without the front fans for intake and instead a 360rad. I still have no idea what order to connect the parts in so please help me out here.

or i could make all the rads intake which would be fine because there is more than enough ventilation holes for air to be pushed out through.

Please guys my main concern is what order to connect the components in, if you have any suggestions please leave them down below. Also i would like to know which component should i use the bigger rad for the GPU or CPU.

Thanks

You need a CPU and GPU waterblock, a reservoir, a pump, and radiators.

Assuming you will use soft tubing as it is much easier to build with, youll need to choose a tubing size and get the fittings for that size.

For example a popular size is 10/13mm, then you'll need fittings for that size tubing. 

As for the order to connect the components... It doesnt matter! At all! Connect the components in whatever order works and what would look best. Usually you want the pump below the reservoir. This makes it easier to load water into the pump for initial filling. The pump does not need to come after the reservoir. However, all things placed between pump and reservoir should preferably be below the top of the reservoir so that you can flood the pump when you initially fill the loop through the reservoir. If not, you will need to fill the loop from the top radiator. Either way, it all works out.