Question regarding new hardware and windows license.

MoonFrost

My current hardware I have: 

Msi P67a-gd65 (b3) motherboard

I7-2600k

Msi gtx970

Samsung 850 evo ssd, windows 10

Question: I originally bought and still have windows 8.1 disk and upgraded to windows 10 during the free upgrade period. 

If I were to buy new hardware, (probably going to go with an asus z170 and an i7 6700k, msi gtx 1080, and using same ssd) I've been told I'll need to reinstall windows.

Will I have to buy a windows 10 disk if I want to continue using windows 10, or can I reinstall windows 8.1 and somehow upgrade to windows 10 for free again? 

I'm not 100% sure on this subject, but I THINK you can still use the same SSD, no re install required, only if the Windows installed was not OEM.

I'm pretty sure if you change your motherboard, the window's license won't work on another computer. You might be able to call Microsoft and ask them to activate it on the new computer. If you wan't to put windows 10 on the new computer, then you can download it here from Microsoft and put in the key.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

5 minutes ago, thetechygamer15 said:

I'm pretty sure if you change your motherboard, the window's license won't work on another computer. You might be able to call Microsoft and ask them to activate it on the new computer. If you wan't to put windows 10 on the new computer, then you can download it here from Microsoft and put in the key.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

Just looked it up, and now I can confirm that changing mb will not require another Windows installation if its an OEM. Come to think of it. My friend gave me his boot drive last month to wipe viruses, I installed it into my PC, booted like a charm