Testing computers...

So here is the story.  I am taking a class called Networking Infrastructure.  For my final project I chose to test the application of low cost computers in a networking environment using low cost business class machines and turning them into routers and firewalls.  The computer that I am going to turn into the router and firewall is a Dell Optiplex 990 with a i5 2400 processor, 8gb RAM, and an extra gigabit ethernet card that I added.  I know there are distros out there to turn it into a router or firewall, so that is not the question.  The question is to see how it does with throughput.  Ideally I would like to clock and record the time that it takes to transfer a 10gb file from one machine to another.  As far as the setup I have the 990 that will be the firewall and router.  On the outsides I have a Dell 9010 that I use as my main machine (not a gamer or video editor), I can throw whatever OS on the SSD that is needed for said project.  A buddy also let me use his micro computer that has a gigabit ethernet port.  So here is the basic questions,

What OS shout I put on the outside machines? 

What would be the best metering method? 

What is the best way to test the functionality of the firewall?

Os doesn't matter. Id personally use centos as its stables and just works

If you on linux you can time it with time so 

time cp /1gbfiletest /fileserver/

I almost garanture the speed with bee about 105mB/s

for a firewalld, you can use filewalld or iptables. For testing look at nmap.