SSD Slows down after reboot

Carosel43
14 hours ago, Carosel43 said:

~snip~

I would think so but I wouldn't rule out other possibilities just yet. 

You can clear the CMOS by removing the battery from the motherboard for some time. You should be able to do that relatively easy. 

These results do seem normal, but the access time issue is still worrying. 

Captain_WD. 

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

I would remove the battery but that is even more buried than the jumper! 

I am not going to faff with it this weekend as i have loads to do but next week should be better. 

1 hour ago, Carosel43 said:

I would remove the battery but that is even more buried than the jumper! 

I am not going to faff with it this weekend as i have loads to do but next week should be better. 

Yeah, sadly I remember having to remove the GPU / heatsink just to jump the pins / take out the battery when I got too happy with CPU overclocking...

I'm not going to lie, your storage speed is driving me nuts on what the issue could be. Just to check, you have the drives plugged into the first SATA ports of the motherboard and the ports are the Intel SATA ports right? Not some third party Sata controller (Usually it's ASrock for ASUS). I heard those can give issues.

However, they usually are the last two SATA ports on a board (I'm not sure if they're even still used on modern Z170 boards with how many SATA ports are native these day...I only have a 2500K on Z77)

I have used all 6 ports over the course of my drama trying to find the issue. nothing seems to change!

On 1.10.2016 г. at 0:16 AM, Carosel43 said:

~snip~

Any change over the weekend? Any success with resetting the BIOS? 

As a last resort you may try the drive on another PC for some time and do frequent benchmarks and get another drive that is working fine on another computer to this computer and see if the issue persists.

Captain_WD. 

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

The drive has slowed over the weekend, not enough to notice unless i know where to look but it is slower. I have hardly been home this weekend so no chance to do anything. I am also out tonight so tomorrow maybe if i can find some non conductive tweezers or similar. 

9 hours ago, Carosel43 said:

~snip~

Post back your results. 

Also, could you post the raw values of the S.M.A.R.T. status? There should be free tools online with which you could get them.

Also, contacting the manufacturer's support should be a good thing.

Captain_WD. 

Ok I finally got round to doing a CMOS clear and the situation has not improved.

I think this is a windows issue but goodness knows how. I'm working on the SMART info

as-ssd-bench SanDisk Ultra II 07-Oct-16 4-10-14 PM.png

On 7.10.2016 г. at 6:16 PM, Carosel43 said:

~snip~

So, to sum it up:

- You changed SATA cables and ports and the problem persists after some time.

- It was a clean install of the OS and then you upgraded to Windows 10.

- You checked the power of the system.

- Problem persists on another drive too.

- Reset the OC and clearing the CMOS battery did not help.

- BIOS settings are all good.

- No abnormal activity in Task Manager.

I'd still try to boot from a Linux flash drive and see if the issues persist (this should help you exclude the Os as the potential troublemaker). 

Taking the whole system to a technician could be your last resort. 

Captain_WD. 

That more or less sums it up other than it ran perfectly in its current configuration for a few months before the issue reared its head.

As I don't have access to a Linux boot drive I cant do anything with that. I wouldn't know where to start anyway with Linux and would need to run it for weeks to get any results.

The same is true for taking the system somewhere. I cant be without it for the many weeks they would need to look into the issue and, frankly, it would be cheaper to buy a new board/hard drive etc.

The other thing is that the drive speeds have stabilised at the levels in the above screen shot. While not ideal, they don't impact my daily use of the machine so I'm beginning to think I might just ignore it until such time that I can be bothered to reinstall windows.  

One thing I did forget was that when I was trying to do a backup clone of the drive I had a nightmare trying to get windows to see the drives I was connecting to the system. THe bios showed them, but windows rarely found them and it took ages to get it sorted out. I gave up doing the 2nd backup I intended to do as it was just too much like hard work.

quick update.

As my CAD program scans all of the drives in the system before starting it was taking 5 minutes to open because the mechanical drive in the system was so slow. I decided to uninstall the drive using windows, I rebooted and we are back to full speed on all drives.

as-ssd-bench SanDisk Ultra II 10-Oct-16 6-50-36 PM.png

15 hours ago, Carosel43 said:

~snip~

This is rather strange. Check when the speeds drop again. I suspect that a software or the OS itself is causing this but unless a technician takes a look at the motherboard and the other parts as well as the drives you can't really be sure. As for the time, I wouldn't imagine that the guys at the repair shop would sit and wait for the speed drop to happen but would rather run some diagnostic tests and see if the system shows anything abnormal. 

Captain_WD. 

• 5 months later...

To revive this old saga I never did cure the problem so have bought a new SSD and cloned the OS across. Everything looks good and things that weren't working before now are. I will see how long it lasts. if it fails now then its either the OS or the motherboard.

as-ssd-bench Crucial_CT525MX3 20-Mar-17 6-56-59 PM.png