Can you recommend a laptop which can output 4k at 60hz to external TV? Please link it.

bbobobo

Can you recommend a laptop which can output 4k at 60hz to external TV? Please link it.

Budget?

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

Just now, Samppa221 said:

Budget?

under 1000 ideally.

it's so weird. i've found laptops that have amazing specs but only hdmi 1.4. it makes ZERO sense to me. isn't one of the main limitations of a laptop the screen size? isn't the way to overcome that problem is using external display?

i have no interest in gaming.

4 minutes ago, bbobobo said:

under 1000 ideally.

it's so weird. i've found laptops that have amazing specs but only hdmi 1.4. it makes ZERO sense to me. isn't one of the main limitations of a laptop the screen size? isn't the way to overcome that problem is using external display?

i have no interest in gaming.

HDMI version is determined by the graphics chip, the laptop designers don't get to choose. The only GPUs that support HDMI 2.0 are the GTX 970M and 980M. Any laptop that doesn't have the thermal budget for those chips can't have HDMI 2.0, there's not much laptop designers can do about it.

7 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

HDMI version is determined by the graphics chip, the laptop designers don't get to choose. The only GPUs that support HDMI 2.0 are the GTX 970M and 980M. Any laptop that doesn't have the thermal budget for those chips can't have HDMI 2.0, there's not much laptop designers can do about it.

that is true but if you have say intel HD Graphics that are skylake like say the HD Graphics 520 and said laptop has a Displayport you can then just convert that to HDMI 2.0 (: 

*this is not confirmed from me. but after some searching this is the one way around the problem that many people use. Do your Reaserch before buying to make sure its possible.

Please Quote so i know you have replied. | If we have provided a solution to your problem mark it with answer found.

And also please read the COC and avoid the embarrassment and lecture that will ensue.

8 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

13 minutes ago, bbobobo said:

thanks for info. this is great to know.

Dell told me hwen I bought my xps 13 (which I'm returning) that it could output 4k at 60hz via thunderbolt. but it doesn't seem to be able to. i can duplicate my display and it does 4k at 60hz but i can't "extend" my desktop. it's a 1080p 13.3inch xps 13 with intel graphics.

3 minutes ago, EvilLemur said:

that is true but if you have say intel HD Graphics that are skylake like say the HD Graphics 520 and said laptop has a Displayport you can then just convert that to HDMI 2.0 (: 

*this is not confirmed from me. but after some searching this is the one way around the problem that many people use. Do your Reaserch before buying to make sure its possible.

Thanks for the reply. Didn't see this when I wrote my last comment.

I'm writing this on an XPS 13 with HD Graphics 520. I have a thunderbolt output. And I have this https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Chromebook-Thunderbolt™-Supports-3840x2160/dp/B01FIVSC6Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1472916496&sr=8-2&keywords=thunderbolt+plugable

I can't get 4k at 60hz for some reason. i can duplicate my display and it does 4k at 60hz but i can't "extend" my desktop. it's a 1080p 13.3inch xps 13 with intel graphics.

Interesting would you be willing to post a screen shot of that? see if maybe we can troubleshoot it

Please Quote so i know you have replied. | If we have provided a solution to your problem mark it with answer found.

And also please read the COC and avoid the embarrassment and lecture that will ensue.

2 minutes ago, EvilLemur said:

Interesting would you be willing to post a screen shot of that? see if maybe we can troubleshoot it

I'd be happy to, but I don't know what to screenshot.

I do it all by right clicking the desktop and going to intel 520 graphics. All options show up, but when my I do 3860 resolution (or whatever it is) and hit 60hz on external the TV goes blank.

Again, I have thunderbolt, to a converter, to hdmi 2.0 cable, to a port on my tv that says 4k at 60hz.

i'm really sorry for the double posts. I have no idea why it's happening.