$500 college laptop? Surface pro 3 or alternative?

Yup, another college laptop thread. **I don't mind buying used**

My needs are:

• Long battery (7+ hours)
  • Touch screen for note taking
  • Light

I was thinking of getting a used Surface pro 3 for ~$500 US, but since it's almost 2 years old I was wondering if I should try for something else? Any suggestions? 

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

ASUS EeeBook E402SA-WX013T

Great for the price, but no touchscreen.

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

3 minutes ago, simonbyrial said:

ASUS EeeBook E402SA-WX013T

Great for the price, but no touchscreen.

Hmm, not finding that model on Amazon or Ebay. Was it sold in the US?

5 hours ago, Snickerzz said:

I was actually looking at the Inspiron 5000! As well as the Acer Aspire E15 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DT4A2R4/ref=psdc_565108_t1_B01EXQ2RB6 

Thanks for the suggestions and let me know what you go with! 

Ahh that Aspire is pretty nice. I'll have to take a look pretty powerful, I was going to go with a 940m i5 based Dell but the A10 8700p actually edges it out overall except for in shader performance.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

Just now, Snickerzz said:

Hmm, not finding that model on Amazon or Ebay. Was it sold in the US?

Don't know gimme a sec

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Theres is http://www.flipkart.com/asus-eeebook-e402sa-wx013t-celeron-dual-core-2-gb-32-gb-ssd-windows-10-notebook-90nb0b63-m00200/p/itmeennzpgfmazex but i dont know the seller. price says 16300 RS. converting that its 242 $. One $ is about 67 RS.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3 hours ago, simonbyrial said:

Theres is http://www.flipkart.com/asus-eeebook-e402sa-wx013t-celeron-dual-core-2-gb-32-gb-ssd-windows-10-notebook-90nb0b63-m00200/p/itmeennzpgfmazex but i dont know the seller. price says 16300 RS. converting that its 242 $. One $ is about 67 RS.

I'm definitely going to need more than 2GB of ram, thanks for the help though :D 

1 minute ago, Snickerzz said:

I'm definitely going to need more than 2GB of ram, thanks for the help though :D 

Well then i'm going to look it up again! gimme another sec xD

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ok. how about this one? 

ASUS EeeBook E502SA-XO004T

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4 minutes ago, simonbyrial said:

Ok. how about this one? 

ASUS EeeBook E502SA-XO004T

I can only find that in random european stores :D But I think I want something more powerful, 1080p and 8Gb ram preferred :P 

28 minutes ago, Snickerzz said:

I can only find that in random european stores :D But I think I want something more powerful, 1080p and 8Gb ram preferred :P 

Ok. So if youre looking for some more horsepower I would suggest the 

Acer Aspire V 15 Nitro 7-591G-53V3 It's got 16 GB of ram. Is that sufficient enough? :P Also the 1080p screen is IPS!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

13 minutes ago, simonbyrial said:

Ok. So if youre looking for some more horsepower I would suggest the 

Acer Aspire V 15 Nitro 7-591G-53V3 It's got 16 GB of ram. Is that sufficient enough? :P Also the 1080p screen is IPS!

Okay okay I don't need that much :P plus that only has a 4 hour battery life :/ 

1 minute ago, Snickerzz said:

Okay okay I don't need that much :P plus that only has a 4 hour battery life :/ 

Ok. then i need some more time...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I stepped down the horsepower a bit to (hopefully) improve battery.

ASUS X550VX-DM096T

I forgot to ask what you want to play since you need some horsepower?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4 hours ago, simonbyrial said:

I stepped down the horsepower a bit to (hopefully) improve battery.

ASUS X550VX-DM096T

I forgot to ask what you want to play since you need some horsepower?

I just want something for very light games like FTL and Kingdom :D I think i'm going to go with this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DT4A2R4/ 

Thank you for all the help and suggestions c:

On 7/27/2016 at 11:34 PM, Snickerzz said:

I just want something for very light games like FTL and Kingdom :D I think i'm going to go with this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DT4A2R4/ 

Thank you for all the help and suggestions c:

Sounds good. If you need any info about pc just contact me and I'll find something out :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯