The 21:9 (2560 x 1080) Experience. What current video card can max out all games on this resolution but not going overboard due to money restraints

idalejan_KM
Go to solution Solved by ace_cheaply,
1 minute ago, idalejan_KM said:

Yeah I think I'll go with the FE 1070. thanks for the reply.

Even though it's slightly more expensive?  I'm sure you'll be happy either way, I just don't understand the logic.

The 21:9 (2560 x 1080) Experience

Hello All, 

I am currently planning to buy a 2560 x 1080 monitor and would like to know what current video card would be best in terms of quality and affordability.

Currently on my mind is to buy the cheapest 1070 I can find which is the 

MSI GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8gb.

any suggestions? 

My location is the Philippines and pc parts here are scarce to be honest. 

1070 will max everything out. 1060 if you're willing to turn a few settings down on a few games.  480 if you want to buy a  freesync  monitor and get the variable refresh rate experience that will make up for the difference in frame rate compared to the 1060.

Just now, ace_cheaply said:

1070 will max everything out. 1060 if you're willing to turn a few settings down on a few games.  480 if you want to buy a  freesync  monitor and get the variable refresh rate experience that will make up for the difference in frame rate compared to the 1060.

so the low end 1070 should suffice. Thank you for the answer. in the future I am planning to buy a Vive, but now seems like there are some horrible tracking issues. 

Where are you located?

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

Just now, Moress said:

Where are you located?

Philippines. 

Why not buy an aftermarket card, and save some money over the founders edition?

Gigabyte offers a cheaper alternative to the FE.

Just now, idalejan_KM said:

so the low end 1070 should suffice. Thank you for the answer. in the future I am planning to buy a Vive, but now seems like there are some horrible tracking issues. 

Don't think of it as a "low end" 1070. With how pascal works, if you're willing to overclock, your "low end" 1070 will perform pretty much the same as the highest end 1070 on the market. This is not going to be the same for all previous generations or all future generations, but for this particular line of cards, it seems to be a recurring theme.

Yeah, 1070 will be very good for your resolution :)

CPU - Intel i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 (Rev 2.0) | RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB (2x8) DDR3-1866 | Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD | Graphics Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 980ti SC | Case - Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) | PSU - EVGA 750W B2 | Display - Acer K272HUL | Keyboard - E-Element RGB | Mouse - Logitech g502 | Sound - Klipsch ProMedia 2.1/Fostex TH-x00/Sennheiser HD595

Philippines. 

Alright, GPU prices will probably be skewed differently than here in the US. If you can find an AIB card that costs the same or just a little bit more, and doesn't use the horrid reference cooler then I'd suggest doing with that, but if the FE is a good be lower in price then go with that.

Also, yes the 1070 can easily handle 1080p ultrawide

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

3 minutes ago, idalejan_KM said:

Rumors are the vive 2.0 is coming in beginning of 2017.  FE cards here are more expensive, are they cheaper in the Philippines?

1 minute ago, Katsunaka said:

Why not buy an aftermarket card, and save some money over the founders edition?

Gigabyte offers a cheaper alternative to the FE.

this is the cheapest I can find here. 

MSI GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8gb

Approx 490 USD

1 minute ago, Moress said:

Alright, GPU prices will probably be skewed differently than here in the US. If you can find an AIB card that costs the same or just a little bit more, and doesn't use the horrid reference cooler then I'd suggest doing with that, but if the FE is a good be lower in price then go with that.

Also, yes the 1070 can easily handle 1080p ultrawide

Thank you very much for the answer. 

most probably I will go for 

MSI GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8gb at approx 490 USD here. cheapest 1070 I can find

4 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

Don't think of it as a "low end" 1070. With how pascal works, if you're willing to overclock, your "low end" 1070 will perform pretty much the same as the highest end 1070 on the market. This is not going to be the same for all previous generations or all future generations, but for this particular line of cards, it seems to be a recurring theme.

I'm kinda afraid of overclocking. :( as if the card gets broken, It will take me a long time to save up and buy again. 

FE should be fine. In fact at 1080p my FE card doesn't goes past 72c or so even when my room temp is like 28c. For me to max it's performance I have to crank it up to 1440p only then it reaches 82c

And for others in the west it's usually easier to find an AIB or non-reference card for cheaper but for you, if the Founders is the same or lower in Price I'd go for it.

-------

Current Rig

-------

A 1070, 980 Ti, or Fury X should suffice for 2560x1080 maxed out. Hell, an R9 390 or GTX 970/RX 480 or 1060 could easily suffice if you're willing to drop AA a bit and some other settings in some games.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Thank you very much for the answer. 

most probably I will go for 

MSI GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8gb at approx 490 USD here. cheapest 1070 I can find

the founders cards tend to run hot, so there's the off chance it'll throttle 

I'm kinda afraid of overclocking. :( as if the card gets broken, It will take me a long time to save up and buy again. 

the worst thing that can happen when you OC is that the OS locks up, but it'll just reboot normally with the OC settings removed 

Don't be.  Nothing in the factory bios settings will allow you to break it as long as you watch the temperatures (which is why you want a better cooling solution than the founders edition)  You can set all settings to max and the most you can do is make the computer crash.  It's free performance, and the parts are warrantied if they break. 

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

FE should be fine. In fact at 1080p my FE card doesn't goes past 72c or so even when my room temp is like 28c. For me to max it's performance I have to crank it up to 1440p only then it reaches 82c

And for others in the west it's usually easier to find an AIB or non-reference card for cheaper but for you, if the Founders is the same or lower in Price I'd go for it.

3 minutes ago, idalejan_KM said:

Overclocking is really easy and safe provided you know the aproximate limits of your GPU beforehand.

1 minute ago, idalejan_KM said:

Even though it's slightly more expensive?  I'm sure you'll be happy either way, I just don't understand the logic.

2 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

Don't be.  Nothing in the factory bios settings will allow you to break it as long as you watch the temperatures (which is why you want a better cooling solution than the founders edition)  You can set all settings to max and the most you can do is make the computer crash.  It's free performance, and the parts are warrantied if they break. 

Cheapest non FE is 85USD more. :( I'd probably get an SSD for that extra cash. really trying to stretch my budget out. really thank you for the reply.

1 minute ago, ace_cheaply said:

its the cheapest 1070 I can find here. 

8 minutes ago, idalejan_KM said:

If you overclock responsibly, you can't break your card. But don't worry about it, if you just use the out of box settings, your 1070 will still be plenty powerful.

5 minutes ago, idalejan_KM said:

There is only 3 reasons to get the FE.

1. If you can somehow get it cheaper than another aftermarket card, then it may not be a bad idea. However its price IS higher than that of the other cards out there. and if that is not the case where you live, then by all means, the FE may be the card for you.

2. Cooling. This card tends to run hotter than other 1070 models, but all of the air it uses to cool itself gets thrown out of the case, instead of back into the case where it heats up the rest of the components which can be advantageous in some builds.

3. Aesthetics. If you don't care about price or thermals, and you really like the look of this card, then by all means get it.

13 minutes ago, Pankaic said:

Yeah, 1070 will be very good for your resolution :)

yeay! thanks for the answers. tried to ask my wife what she thinks. I think I broke her with all the numbers involved.