PS4 In Storage Unit - Will It Overheat?

Hello.

I am thinking of putting my Playstation 4 console on a IKEA Alex Storage Unit Shelf (http://m.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/art/60192826/). The front door will not be put on and I will cut a rectangular hole on the back allowing for airflow, in from the front and out via the back.

I will be using stilts (still not sure what I'll use to elevate the console) and there will be 2cm between the sides of the PS4 and the sides of the Storage Unit as shown in the imgur picture, http://imgur.com/06a6rnj

Furthermore, there will be around 25cm between the back of the PS4 and the rear of the Storage Unit where the hole will be cut.

I'm just wondering whether, with having two open side, the Playstation will overheat? Will an additional USB fan be needed or will I be perfectly fine?

Thank you very much!

Kind regards,

Matt 

I'll be honest, if it was me I wouldn't put it in there. 

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

Should be fine, mine is in a an open front cabinet under my TV about 1cm away from an xbox and never had a heating issue

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

5 minutes ago, leelaa14 said:

I'll be honest, if it was me I wouldn't put it in there. 

Why's that? Due to the worry of it overheating!? Thanks :)

Does anyone have any previous experience with either using the IKEA Alex Storage Unit, or other similar style, open back and front storage units!?

Thank you! :)

1 hour ago, Flared said:

Does anyone have any previous experience with either using the IKEA Alex Storage Unit, or other similar style, open back and front storage units!?

Thank you! :)

image.jpeg

This?

I've never used or seen it, but I wouldn't put a PS4 in there either. 

9 hours ago, Flared said:

Why's that? Due to the worry of it overheating!? Thanks :)

After red ring of death when I had my 360 I went kinda paranoid and tried to make sure it was never enclosed. So It could be fine for you.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

Nothing will happen, but it will generate a lot of heat. My consoles spent a good few years in a closed cabinet. They get really hot, but neither of the consoles died from the heat.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

9 hours ago, Scruffy90 said:

Nothing will happen, but it will generate a lot of heat. My consoles spent a good few years in a closed cabinet. They get really hot, but neither of the consoles died from the heat.

Thank you for the reply.

As stated, I'll cut a hole in the back to dissipate the heat from the rear fans and the front will also be open, so it'll be in no means a closed area.

The reason I'd do it would be to clear up some desk space, it'll also look pretty nice in my opinion, just sitting on a shelf underneath my desk.

20 hours ago, Flared said:

Thank you for the reply.

As stated, I'll cut a hole in the back to dissipate the heat from the rear fans and the front will also be open, so it'll be in no means a closed area.

The reason I'd do it would be to clear up some desk space, it'll also look pretty nice in my opinion, just sitting on a shelf underneath my desk.

You shouldn't have any issues but if you're still worried you could always add a USB or AC powered 120mm fan to the hole you're putting in the storage unit.

AC powered,

https://www.amazon.com/Coolerguys-Powered-Receiver-Component-Cooling/dp/B00DCCJQ0S

USB powered,

https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-MULTIFAN-Receiver-Playstation/dp/B00G05A2MU/ref=pd_sim_147_5?ie=UTF8&dpID=51AFpeOHAcL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=73MVH83B7YXHP4RXCA5P

1 hour ago, johnny5c said:

You shouldn't have any issues but if you're still worried you could always add a USB or AC powered 120mm fan to the hole you're putting in the storage unit.

AC powered,

https://www.amazon.com/Coolerguys-Powered-Receiver-Component-Cooling/dp/B00DCCJQ0S

USB powered,

https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-MULTIFAN-Receiver-Playstation/dp/B00G05A2MU/ref=pd_sim_147_5?ie=UTF8&dpID=51AFpeOHAcL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=73MVH83B7YXHP4RXCA5P

Thank you.

So you don't see any problem in the heat from the back of the PS4 escaping through the back, rectangular hole? 

If I were to go ahead with this, I might buy a small usb fan, just to make sure air does actually escape the Storage Unit and doesn't just heat up the PS4. 

Thanks!

10 hours ago, Flared said:

Thank you.

So you don't see any problem in the heat from the back of the PS4 escaping through the back, rectangular hole? 

If I were to go ahead with this, I might buy a small usb fan, just to make sure air does actually escape the Storage Unit and doesn't just heat up the PS4. 

Thanks!

Heat rises so take that into consideration when deciding on a location for the cutout.  Between my wife, kids, and myself we have over 20 different consoles I've been looking at plans for a custom storage/display unit.  What seems to work best for most people is to have a filtered fan mounted towards the top on the rear panel of each console slot blowing into the unit, besides cooling it helps to keep dust under control.  You need a few inches of open space above the console for this to work but basically cool air enters not only from the fan in the rear but also from the bottom of the front opening and heat is exhausted out the top of the front, it creates a airflow pattern that looks like a "U" on its side.