can a buggy BIOS cause false beep codes?

hi so i have a supermicro x8 dtl if motherboard and ever since i got it sometimes it would randomly give me memory error beep codes saying no memory detected. now when i switch the PSU off on it and turn it back on the beep codes go away and it works again. i tried everything to fix this problem except update the BIOS. so i was wondering could this just be a glitched out bios and maybe an update would fix the problem. because i doubt that this is a hardware issue as turning it off and back on seems to temporarily fix the issue. so could this be a firmware issue? thanks guys 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

Of course it could be a firmware issue. It's highly unlikely, but why not just see if updating the BIOS helps?
I don't think you can make it any worse.

1 minute ago, Senzelian said:

Of course it could be a firmware issue. It's highly unlikely, but why not just see if updating the BIOS helps?
I don't think you can make it any worse.

i tried everything to fix this issue, i tried switching the ram kit to non ecc i used ecc ram, i tweeked bios settings around, i checked to see if the slot was bad, but i came to a concluesion that this cant be a hardware issue but a software one as when you power cycle the computer it works again 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

I doubt that software is the issue. It's more likely that some component is overloading the power supply and causing some voltage to be absent or slow to respond. Although it's giving a code about the RAM, the RAM might not be the problem.

Try a different power supply. Try disconnecting various components like HDDs, optical drives, etc, to see if one of them is causing too much of a surge current when turned on, which may be affecting the power supply.

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

4 hours ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

i tried everything to fix this issue, i tried switching the ram kit to non ecc i used ecc ram, i tweeked bios settings around, i checked to see if the slot was bad, but i came to a concluesion that this cant be a hardware issue but a software one as when you power cycle the computer it works again 

Yes, I understand what you mean.
So did you try to update the BIOS and did you also try to contact Supermicro?

2 hours ago, Senzelian said:

I called them and they said they don't know what is wrong with it either first they asked if I populated all the dimms with their approved memory and I did. Then they recommend I request an RMA but I wouldn't want to RMA this board as the cost of sending it in would easily outweigh the cost of the board itself so this is something I'm stuck fixing on my own or just having to bite the bullet and live with it as apperantly turning the PSU off and back on again temporarily fixes the issue 

3 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

I called them and they said they don't know what is wrong with it either first they asked if I populated all the dimms with their approved memory and I did. Then they recommend I request an RMA but I wouldn't want to RMA this board as the cost of sending it in would easily outweigh the cost of the board itself so this is something I'm stuck fixing on my own or just having to bite the bullet and live with it as apperantly turning the PSU off and back on again temporarily fixes the issue 

my pc ironically does this too, one day it will be fine, the next the ram light is on, or it is beeping or in some cases my gpu light shows its underload (all of which dont boot), i just turn it off at the switch and press the power on untill the lights go out and try again

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

9 minutes ago, Prokart2000 said:

my pc ironically does this too, one day it will be fine, the next the ram light is on, or it is beeping or in some cases my gpu light shows its underload (all of which dont boot), i just turn it off at the switch and press the power on untill the lights go out and try again

shame i just sometimes get this beep code when i turn on the computer. then turning the psu off at the back then back on fixes the issue 

13 hours ago, Senzelian said:

i just updated the BIOS to the latest version, now i have to see if the beep code issue is still there. if it is then oh well i guess i have to just live with it because I just tried everything already 

On 22.6.2016 at 9:52 PM, glitchmaster0001 said:

RMAs are free as long as you're within warranty...

4 hours ago, Senzelian said:

That board is long out of warranty since its a socket 1366 board. Also I bought the board used from a third party vendor so most likely warrenty is gone 

On 6/23/2016 at 4:09 PM, Senzelian said:

i ended up calling up supermicro and the people there confirmed that this was a firmware issue as these boards were designed to be left on 24/7 and not be interrupted. they said that was the flaw with these boards back then and now their newer workstation boards dont have this issue anyone, i guess i will have to live with it until the system dies or goes obsolete with the task i need to do. 

On 24.6.2016 at 5:35 AM, glitchmaster0001 said:

That board is long out of warranty since its a socket 1366 board. Also I bought the board used from a third party vendor so most likely warrenty is gone 

Good to know. At least Supermicro gave you an answer. 

7 hours ago, Senzelian said:

Good to know. At least Supermicro gave you an answer. 

downside is they said there is no patch to fix their firmware issue as this board is an older one and software support for it has ended long ago so there is going to be no bios update to fix it. 

On 6/22/2016 at 6:43 AM, Quaker said:

I doubt that software is the issue. It's more likely that some component is overloading the power supply and causing some voltage to be absent or slow to respond. Although it's giving a code about the RAM, the RAM might not be the problem.

Try a different power supply. Try disconnecting various components like HDDs, optical drives, etc, to see if one of them is causing too much of a surge current when turned on, which may be affecting the power supply.

the power supply is a used unit that i bought and also it has multiple 12v rails instead of single beefy rail. even though i got supermicro's awnser i kind of dont believe it. too bad i dont have another power supply to test this out on. though i do believe you are on to something because turning it off at the PSU and waiting for everything to drain then turning it back on again fixes the problem temporary. and i already updated the BIOS to the latest revision so at this point its either supermico's bios has a bug, or the PSU isnt delivering proper voltages.