SSD in Raid or separate?

TomSerious
Go to solution Solved by partypanda64,

I would not run SSDs in a raid, I don't think there is much of a performance gain if any, and SSDs have a limit of times they can be written/read from, so no, I would just leave them separate.

Hello everyone!

So I have 2 Samsung 850 pro 1TB SSDs in my rig (and some other smaller SSDs).

I am sure this question has been asked 1000s of times, but:

Is it better to have them separate or in a RAID config? (Currently separate)

Backups aren't a problem and reinstalling windows is (believe it or not) kinda fun for me to do (in case of a hw failure in RAID)

The config should be for "extreme" use, since I sit on my pc all day long (after work :P).

I don't do anything special atm (Gaming, surfing,...), but want to be prepared if I do.

Now, would it bring me any significant improvement to run them in RAID? 

If so, which kind of RAID? (Not really familiar with storage stuff atm) I guess 0?

Thank you very much in advance

Best regards 

TomSerious

Running a pair of these in RAID0 will give you zero performance boost. RAID0 only works in extreme bench marking solutions and such.

My advice, run in RAID1 - will have almost zero performance impact with those SSD's and give you protection in the rare event of a drive failure, or more likely a port or cable failure.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

I would not run SSDs in a raid, I don't think there is much of a performance gain if any, and SSDs have a limit of times they can be written/read from, so no, I would just leave them separate.

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 6:57 PM, TomSerious said:

Hello everyone!

So I have 2 Samsung 850 pro 1TB SSDs in my rig

TomSerious

I have to ask.... How much did they run?

On 8.06.2016 г. at 1:57 AM, TomSerious said:

~snip~

Hey there :)

A few words on SSDs and RAID from me:

- SSDs work good in RAID environments if the controller/software is optimized. RAID itself involves quite a lot of writing and heavier workload and the controller needs to be able to distribute the workload evenly on all drives so they wear out evenly.

- The traditional RAID and especially the parity-based RAID levels were designed in the beginning to protect against an entire device failure. However, in SSDs, the failure does not necessarily occur in the entire device. Because of the way SSDs are built, the failure hotspots tend to happen at the much more granular bit level of the SSDs. The erase-then-write techniques that are inherent in NAND Flash SSDs causes the bit error rate (BER) of the SSD device to go up as the device ages. Therefore, it is more likely to get a read/write error from within the SSDs memory itself rather than having the entire SSD device failing. 

- The speed increase is good but you should really consider if you need it and if risking your volume's health is really needed. 

I'd read the manufacturer's KBs on that and see if and how the specific SSD is optimized for RAID. :)

If you have other questions regarding this I'd be more than happy to help :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/