Network Boot from other network?

Pierre Dabrunst

Is it possible to make a Network Boot from another network?

I have a VPS in Germany and I live in Sweden myself.

Is it possible to make a Network Boot on the VPS and boot from that boot program over the network then onto the machine I want to reinstall using the network boot?

CPU: Intel Core i3 4150 3.5GHz Socket 1150 GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 760 OC RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5

On 5/24/2016 at 7:43 AM, Pierre Dabrunst said:

Is it possible to make a Network Boot on the VPS and boot from that boot program over the network then onto the machine I want to reinstall using the network boot?

I guess the people that are here to help are not very advanced around here. Just stopping by from the servers section. Anyway, since network boot (PXE) uses dhcp, you can't PXE your vps without having some sort of tunnel to forward dhcp and tftp packets from the server to the VPS. So unless you can create a virtual network for your VPS and connect the two networks with a VPN, you can't PXE boot. 

TLDR: You can't PXE over WAN

My native language is C++

10 hours ago, tt2468 said:

I guess the people that are here to help are not very advanced around here. Just stopping by from the servers section. Anyway, since network boot (PXE) uses dhcp, you can't PXE your vps without having some sort of tunnel to forward dhcp and tftp packets from the server to the VPS. So unless you can create a virtual network for your VPS and connect the two networks with a VPN, you can't PXE boot. 

TLDR: You can't PXE over WAN

Would it work if I could have a router as a "VPN Server" to the VPS? Then my external NIC would get an IP from the VPS and be able to use it as DHCP.

CPU: Intel Core i3 4150 3.5GHz Socket 1150 GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 760 OC RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5

I really don't think you would gain anything from doing a deployment server offsite if that's doable. I'd like to know why you're attempting this :P

11 hours ago, Pierre Dabrunst said:

Would it work if I could have a router as a "VPN Server" to the VPS? Then my external NIC would get an IP from the VPS and be able to use it as DHCP.

Met me rephase this again. Unless your vps and the pxe server are on the same private network, you can't pxe.

My native language is C++

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 8:43 AM, Pierre Dabrunst said:

Yes it is possible.  You will need a VPS/VPN that bridges at the Ethernet packet level, rather than just at the IP level.  Once you have this type of bridge between the two networks, PXE will work perfectly fine. 

Network booting can also be through iSCSI which rides over TCP/IP networks just fine.   It is also possible, with certain software, to boot a computer remotely through http.   Particularly with the iPXE software stack (www.ipxe.org).  For instance, as a test, I once booted the Linux kernel on one of my laptops from a http server located overseas.

Whether it is viable depends upon the sort of bandwidth you have available, the size of the OS you want to boot, etc.  But it most definitely is possible.  Don't let the others in this thread try and convince you otherwise.