Remotely PowerOn/Wake

Squish4058

So im very new to this area and im currently on on campus student (So I dont pay for electric and leave my pc on so I can remote into it for most of the day)

Next year (september) we are moving into a house and will be paying our bills so I am looking for a very low power device (such as a raspberry pi) that can be run continously and has one function, to wake or power on my computer remotely.

How I remote in does not really matter, be it sim card or a simple webUI (never done port forwarding either)

What are your guys thoughts, looked around and only found solutions for running a dedicated system/server for it which uses a lot of power.

most motherboards support Wake on LAN functionality which does exactly what your need, combine that with enabled Remote Desktop connection and you're done without needing any other tools

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

If you want full control over your PC from a remote network (e.g. change BIOS settings), you'll need an IPMI compatible motherboard

i7 6700k - 32GB DDR4-2133 - GTX 980

4 minutes ago, Lolucoca said:

If you want full control over your PC from a remote network (e.g. change BIOS settings), you'll need an IPMI compatible motherboard

Nope dont need any of that. A simple wake should be good

8 minutes ago, DXMember said:

most motherboards support Wake on LAN functionality which does exactly what your need, combine that with enabled Remote Desktop connection and you're done without needing any other tools

Yeah I have that. Infact the Uni network I use kept sending random fricking wake packets so I had to disable WOL :/ So what you can set programs such as teamviewer to send WOL packets from their servers to your pc?

• 2 months later...

Update, I managed to wake my pc from inside the network using an app on my phone

Tried following this guide with a Pi https://github.com/sciguy14/Remote-Wake-Sleep-On-LAN-Server/wiki/Installation
Turns out my superhub 2ac router does not have dynamic dns, followed the guide anyway but seems like I have no way of accessing the site atm.

Does anyone know any decently cheap routers that can do Port forwarding, DHCP reservation and Dynamic DNS support? or would I be much better off asking in the networking section of the forum.

P.s. I am still open to any sort of device sub £100 that could plug directly into the motherboard IO for power switch?

5 minutes ago, kris2340k said:

Update, I managed to wake my pc from inside the network using an app on my phone

Tried following this guide with a Pi https://github.com/sciguy14/Remote-Wake-Sleep-On-LAN-Server/wiki/Installation
Turns out my superhub 2ac router does not have dynamic dns, followed the guide anyway but seems like I have no way of accessing the site atm.

Does anyone know any decently cheap routers that can do Port forwarding, DHCP reservation and Dynamic DNS support? or would I be much better off asking in the networking section of the forum.

P.s. I am still open to any sort of device sub £100 that could plug directly into the motherboard IO for power switch?

not sure if this is what your looking for but 

did you try unified remote ?? 

i use it for my home server 

as for a low powered device maybe a pi zero with minimal items after setup 

as for dynamic dns 

noip.com and is free sortof some restrictions 

has a dynamic update client 

2 hours ago, yamileon said:

not sure if this is what your looking for but 

did you try unified remote ?? 

i use it for my home server 

as for a low powered device maybe a pi zero with minimal items after setup 

as for dynamic dns 

noip.com and is free sortof some restrictions 

has a dynamic update client 

Ive actually just thought about that after watching a youtube video on it, got my pi setup directed into my motherboard via cable and managed to get it to send WOL packets to my pc, next is setting up unified remote to let me send Pi commands from my phone, do tell sir what is your opinion of unified remote for this purpose. is it easy to setup and have you ever had problems with it?

EDIT:
About the Dynamic DNS too, ive got plenty of services bookmarked, lots of sites, and im even willing to pay. Its the router not supporting it thats the issue, my superhub 2ac does not support it so I was originally looking for a replacement but this seems much more cost effective if you have already succeeded.

51 minutes ago, kris2340k said:

Ive actually just thought about that after watching a youtube video on it, got my pi setup directed into my motherboard via cable and managed to get it to send WOL packets to my pc, next is setting up unified remote to let me send Pi commands from my phone, do tell sir what is your opinion of unified remote for this purpose. is it easy to setup and have you ever had problems with it?

EDIT:
About the Dynamic DNS too, ive got plenty of services bookmarked, lots of sites, and im even willing to pay. Its the router not supporting it thats the issue, my superhub 2ac does not support it so I was originally looking for a replacement but this seems much more cost effective if you have already succeeded.

not sure what you mean by sending pi commands via unified remote 

but sending wol and shutdown commands is easy if unified remote is installed and setup properly ( ports and all)

only problem i had was figuring out how to boot it on linux since it was giving me a bluetooth error 

as for the dynamic dns my solution with no ip skips the router entirely, instead their dynamic update client is installed on the client pc it'll up date the site with your ip every XX mins 

Any chance you could post some links as to the port setup and stuff for the Pi for unified remote? I havent got a clue what ports to use and stuff?

and yeah by commands I just meant WOL terminal commands

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit on the main desktop

Why?

I dont mind upgrading the main system if it means I can wake it remotely

windows is the easiest to set up 

anyway

https://www.unifiedremote.com/download

install the windows server unified remote 

install the unified remote app on andriod or ios 

add a server for now keep it local ip eg 192.168.1.23

if you dont know you local ip then type this in chromes url bar localhost:9510/web

lan detected is your local ip 

wan is your external ip 

try it out and see if it shutsdown hibernates and wake on lan works 

then log into your router and forward port 8080 to 9510

add a new remote and use the wan ip now and change the port to 8080

test again make sure your on a different network this time

set up a no ip hostname and test again 

useing a new remote this time useing the hostname 

test again

then set up the dynamic update client 

and your done unless it doesn't work at some point 

then let me know

https://www.noip.com/

1 minute ago, yamileon said:

windows is the easiest to set up 

anyway

install the windows server unified remote 

install the unified remote app on andriod or ios 

add a server for now keep it local ip eg 192.168.1.23

if you dont know you local ip then type this in chromes url bar localhost:9510/web

lan detected is your local ip 

wan is your external ip 

try it out and see if it shutsdown hibernates and wake on lan works 

then log into your router and forward port 8080 to 9510

add a new remote and use the wan ip now and change the port to 8080

test again make sure your on a different network this time

set up a no ip hostname and test again 

useing a new remote this time useing the hostname 

test again

then set up the dynamic update client 

and your done unless it doesn't work at some point 

then let me know

https://www.noip.com/

wait so no need for a rasbperry Pi? and yeah I have static IP`s and stuff setup because I use Internal network WOL often
where did you find that all out lol?

23 minutes ago, kris2340k said:

wait so no need for a rasbperry Pi? and yeah I have static IP`s and stuff setup because I use Internal network WOL often
where did you find that all out lol?

i spent a few days messing around with a fewthings and figured out all that 

so im stuck on the part where you said " add a new remote and use the wan ip now and change the port to 8080 "

Ive got it to wake up over LAN, ive forwarded port 9090 to 9510 (any way to check if this worked, I have a feeling my router is being an ass)
 im using my andorid phone as the client, you said to add another remote, I assume this means add a second copy of the "power" remote to only use the external IP. I have no idea how

Screenshot_2016-07-25-12-54-49.png

Screenshot_2016-07-25-12-55-04.png

Screenshot_2016-07-25-12-55-09.png

Screenshot_2016-07-25-12-55-18.png

also if anyone has any ideas on how to stop those gaint thumbnails when I attach images it would be great lol

to check for open port

http://www.canyouseeme.org/

oops i meant another server useing the external ip 

the + highlighted in orange

i made a mistake with the numbers so heres the fixed numbers

forward port 8080 to 9512

just to make sure 9512 is the right port

in unified remote check to see if the ports are right see images 

settings > network > fast wifi ports 

Screenshot_2016-07-25-12-54-49.png.fdc4ab0663a8f6c2212a2493eb7ba833.png

Capture.PNG

so basically this, and what I mean by ExternalAddress is my routers external IP without any port so xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Update, the below does not work, gets a error in the android app of "Wifi connection problem" because my phones wifi is off even tho im using my phones data

Screenshot_2016-07-25-15-12-46.png

that should work 

let me mess around with mine and see

i set mine up a month + ago so i might be forgetting somethin

It might just be my router playing up. Ive never tried port forwarding before and other people have said this router is a complete ass when it comes to port forwarding. Might have to get another router to plug into this one

Capture.PNG

well first off do you see the remotes like power etc when your app connection refuses ?

mine says the same but i can still wake on lan via the power remote

and as for ports what router are you useing ? 

23 minutes ago, yamileon said:

well first off do you see the remotes like power etc when your app connection refuses ?

mine says the same but i can still wake on lan via the power remote

and as for ports what router are you useing ? 

Router is a virgin superhub 2ac, the ports that were forwarded were in the last post at the bottom. and no remotes are showing only "could not sync" for the external server entry.

Screenshot_2016-07-25-18-23-51.png

Screenshot_2016-07-25-18-24-02.png

Screenshot_2016-07-25-18-24-08.png

mhh

make sure the server pc is on with unified remote server running 

try turning down your routers firewall level temporarily

and try again

otherwise i have no clue,

i was getting something similar i fixed it by waking the pc up connecting via unified and putting it back to sleep